02/09/10 06:01 AM
02/09/10 06:01 AM
Mountain View, CA
68rrunner Offline OP
enthusiast
68rrunner  Offline OP
enthusiast

Mountain View, CA
I've been doing quite a bit of homework on this topic, and I've found a couple of gaps that I'd like to ask some pro's on. I have a Alt rebuild Kit coming that bumps my alt up to 100amps, and I want to rewire the car for the most stable electronics. Some of the best stuff I've seen is from MAD Electrical, and their stuff is very helpful for internally regulated Alts. How would I wire a 68 style regulator inbetween the alt and first distribution block? I also have extra bits and pieces so if doing it with a 70+ style regulator would be better/easier, i could swing that as well. I intend to run the headlights and power to the battery from the first distobution block, then the rest of the car wiring from a second block after the battery. I intend to use relays for all the major components.

Re: Rewire job on 68 B-Body [Re: 68rrunner] #608657
02/09/10 12:21 PM
02/09/10 12:21 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

it is not really an inbetween thing.

I have the pre 70 solid state vr in my 65 coronet. I am running the 5.9 magnum motor in my car and have the 120 amp magnum alt.

I wired it up using the original charging system wiring for the vr, grounded one of the field wires and ran the other wire to the pre 70 vr.

The output line I sent to a central distribution block. That block has a bulkhead penetration I use for the power into the car passenger compartment.
The battery also wires to it, along with a few fuse distribution blocks to run my relays and any other major power under the hood.
Not real pretty yet, but working on it.

Re: Rewire job on 68 B-Body [Re: Andrewh] #608658
02/09/10 04:15 PM
02/09/10 04:15 PM
North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
GTXKen Offline
super gas
GTXKen  Offline
super gas

North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
I used an internally regulated alternator to clean it up under the hood. The first feed wire off the alt goes to a power dist block under the hood that feeds relays for headlights and etc, I used the relay box from a 97 intrepid, its in the upper right hand corner of the picture below. A second wire off the alt feeds a power distribution block which is linked to the battery (in the trunk), this second block also powers up the fuse block under the dash. Power from the battery to the starter runs inside the car and is hot only in the cranking position and in turn there is only one wire on the starter.