02/06/10 09:36 PM
02/06/10 09:36 PM
Canada
DmanSRT71 Offline OP
enthusiast
DmanSRT71  Offline OP
enthusiast

Canada
I called on a project car last night. Turns out it was sold. But just before I hung up the guy he says he has another project, that is decently rust free but has had the inner fenders cut out.

Unfortunately, it had the shock towers cut as well.

He has the parts for the shock towers, but I really don't know how important it is to have exact alignment of the new shock towers to factory specs.

Here's where I need help - the shock towers are simply welded to the front frame rails, and protrude upwards and terminate under the inner fenders. The rails are fine and rust free. Here's my take: those old cut up shock towers would just need the rest cut off, remove the old welds on the frame (grind etc), position new parts, weld on new parts, and done?

> Then position new inner fenders and weld, and done?

Anything else I'm missing for a job like that? It's a simple mount point for shocks, so it probably doesn't need alignment to factory specs within a few thou, correct?

opinions?

Thanks guys,
Darren

Last edited by DmanSRT71; 02/06/10 10:51 PM.

69 Road Runner 383/auto/N96 71 Demon 340/4 spd Would like to find a rust free Cuda body.
Re: E body cut shock towers [Re: DmanSRT71] #606477
02/06/10 10:38 PM
02/06/10 10:38 PM
ohio
J
jaycuda Offline
enthusiast
jaycuda  Offline
enthusiast
J

ohio
A nice take off set should just self aline like you were thinking.I have done a few myself and after I fit them I take measurements from another car and they are next to dead nuts.The only tip you should remember is always weld the shock towers at extrem heat almost a white in the molting orange as the towers seem to be very hardend type steel.This is also important to do on the (strut brace) or the thing's that weld to the top of the shock tower on the wheel side. A magnetic angle finder is also a nice tool to have on hand when doing that type of job.I like to take target measurments from at least 3 points this assure's you that you dont weld before it's possitioned in the proper geometry .For the most part pull a measurment from a set point of the front rail to the start of a point on the tower and like wise from tower to tower and roll with it. you can do it.Good luck Jay

Re: E body cut shock towers [Re: jaycuda] #606478
02/07/10 06:03 PM
02/07/10 06:03 PM
Canada
DmanSRT71 Offline OP
enthusiast
DmanSRT71  Offline OP
enthusiast

Canada
Any chance you have photos of the work you've done? Thanks for the comments.

Quote:

A nice take off set should just self aline like you were thinking.I have done a few myself and after I fit them I take measurements from another car and they are next to dead nuts.The only tip you should remember is always weld the shock towers at extrem heat almost a white in the molting orange as the towers seem to be very hardend type steel.This is also important to do on the (strut brace) or the thing's that weld to the top of the shock tower on the wheel side. A magnetic angle finder is also a nice tool to have on hand when doing that type of job.I like to take target measurments from at least 3 points this assure's you that you dont weld before it's possitioned in the proper geometry .For the most part pull a measurment from a set point of the front rail to the start of a point on the tower and like wise from tower to tower and roll with it. you can do it.Good luck Jay

69 Road Runner 383/auto/N96 71 Demon 340/4 spd Would like to find a rust free Cuda body.