02/06/10 01:32 PM
02/06/10 01:32 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

I'm replacing the trunk floor and looking at the rear frame rails.

They are relatively thin metal compared to the front frame rails.

I'm considering some boxing and other stiffenning ideas. Just curious what others have done. Any pictures would be nice.

The car had a 6 point cage that was rather poorly done. I'm thinking about removing some, or all of it. If I can stiffen up the car without the 6 point, that would be a plus.

I can see how much of an improvement that even a poor roll bar makes with the car. If I put it back in I will try to make it a specfic design for the car. The way it is now, the rear seat can't be properly installed, trunk lid adjusted, etc.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Stiffen E body rear frame rails? [Re: racealittle] #605956
02/06/10 04:23 PM
02/06/10 04:23 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
We assume this is still a leaf spring car? Just a few wild guesses here, only places that absorb significant forces are the front spring hanger, rear spring hanger, and the top shock mounting point ( which is seldom much concern to most) So if you doubled the frame rail wall thickness, you would double the weight and approx double the strenght/stiffness. However if you added a down brace to right above the rear hanger, from a rollbar the was connected right above the front hanger, I would guess you would maybe double the weight, but be say/guess 8 times stiffer. Forget boxing the rear frame rails, unless maybe you are expecting someone rearending you or the like.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Stiffen E body rear frame rails? [Re: jcc] #605957
02/06/10 07:08 PM
02/06/10 07:08 PM
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

Yes, it's still a leaf spring car. I was thinking of re-doing the rear down bars like you mentioned, but then I started to think what my other options were.

The car was a low 10 second car on DOT's, but I'm leaning more towards the pro touring idea.

It's just time to do some things correctly. The old school fuel cell is out, and stock type floor, braces, and 3/8 fuel line, etc. going back in. It will be a driver that sees limited track time unless things change for me.

The trunk is small enough without bars from a roll cage. The battery is back up front in stock location, but a small, light weight battery is being used.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!