03/20/08 02:14 PM
03/20/08 02:14 PM
Ontario
5537SG Offline
super gas
5537SG  Offline
super gas

Ontario
I dont care what Darrell did in HIS spare time. He could have kicked his dog, yelled at his wife, or spanked his children. I certainly dont care.

He is a race car driver, and a heck of a good one at that. He and Scott inspired me a great deal and made me a much bigger fan of drag racing than I was.

I highly doubt Id have my Daytona if it wasnt for those guys and their dominance of Pro Stock. Credit is due to the whole Wayne County team, their sponsors, and to Mopar for providing myself with so much entertainment and enjoyment.

Hopefully Mopar continues to support Pro Stockers to the degree they do, and hopefully more. I'm living proof that brand imprinting at that level works. ....now if I could only get my hands on an affordable Lenco or a Liberty...

I hope Mike Sullivan is doing well.

4289051-Nationals2.jpg (299 downloads)
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: BobR] #55163
03/20/08 02:56 PM
03/20/08 02:56 PM
sing sing
U
unknown Offline
mopar
unknown  Offline
mopar
U

sing sing
Quote:

Quote:

well,
What intresting reading. I was lucky enough to work on Scott Geoffrion's pro stock Daytona from the 94 season.
The car was bought from Mike Sullivan by Matt Sawyer of Adelaide, Australia.
I went to work for Matt for close to 2 years. that was the most winning round by round pro car.it came down to the final race between the dodge boys as to who would win the championship that year.
I have had that car right down to its underpants and have to say that there was NO way that there was ANY indication that the car had nitrious fitted.
There was no little holes in chassis or engine plate and nothing in the hood scoop nor patching up That i could see. And trust me I looked everywhere.
The batteries where a pain to take out off the car and between rounds i find that hard to believe that they would off done this.
Mike Sullivan is a legend in his own right as a brilliant engineer. Alot off todays clutches are based around his innovation.
Darrel Alderman is the best driver i have seen. He is the only man that i have seen keep his foot on the gas with the car way out off the groove.
Those pearly white teeth off his and the interviews by the late Steve Evans at the finish line will be missed.
Ohh by the way. the Daytona won the australian pro stock championship in its Maiden year off competition.
Darrel if you are reading this. Thank you for giving me the drive to go drag racing you are a legend in my book.
May Scott Geoffrion be praised for his brilliant driving techniques.
Regards Simon Lazarevski
Adelaide , Australia

Do you think that they would sell you the car with any indication that they were cheating? Before you got it every possible fingerprint would have been wiped clean. And you'd think that with all this talent they would be able to qualify at least once in the next 5 years, wouldn't you? Oh ya, the only 4 blocks in existance were sabatoged(not stolen, mind you)and there was no possibility that they could EVER be replaced. I just love sunshine pumpers. -Bob

OK, long before the blocks , heads ect. were sabatoged Wayne County was starting work on the Merlin engine program. The new blocks had 4.90 bore centers,as I STATED BEFORE the old B1 pro-blocks had casting issues and 4.84 bore centers. All the teams were going to 4.90 bore centers. There decision was to move forward on the merlin engine program.The B1-pro block was not worth rebuilding. They put the insurance money in the new engine program.Was it the right move? dont know, but changing head gaskets ever other round sucks.I hope this clears up the 4 block mystery Lee Harvy.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55164
03/20/08 09:13 PM
03/20/08 09:13 PM
sing sing
U
unknown Offline
mopar
unknown  Offline
mopar
U

sing sing

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Bob_Coomer] #55165
03/20/08 09:40 PM
03/20/08 09:40 PM
Florida
W
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline
W

Florida

To have it all, to be on top, to have somthing that we all here can only dream of, or hope to have....they must differ from you and I, they must not be Human, bull crap. Fact is most everyone has done or been involved with drugs, be it self inflicted, or a familiy member... we as Cristians are suppose to forgive and forget. People make bad choices and mistakes, which are much worse than drug use. I dont care... In my eyes, he is the best and always will be. One thing I have learned in life that no matter how much, or many great and good things one does or accomplishes, people always forget, and remeber the bad and negitive choice & things they do first. I guess it is more easy to point fingers at someone else, than examine our own fualts

So here's to Darrell
One of the greatest Mopar drivers in History

Bob in Ky

Well said.
DA Rocks.
I sure miss that accent.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: DV8] #55166
03/20/08 09:55 PM
03/20/08 09:55 PM
Lebanon ,PA in the Susquehanna...
70Challengerse Offline
master
70Challengerse  Offline
master

Lebanon ,PA in the Susquehanna...
whether it it was right or wrong,they were busted for cheating......Chrysler had way to much money in it,no one was going to question mopar...and all the money they were supplying ..... his coke addict was most likely a cover up...Wayne County just cheated and they got caught......

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Truck Y'all !] #55167
03/20/08 10:00 PM
03/20/08 10:00 PM
Madison Wi
NTOLERANCE Offline
master
NTOLERANCE  Offline
master

Madison Wi
Say what you want about the Wayne County break in,

Say what you want about the Wayne Country cars running nitrous,

Say what you want about a man using drugs,

But to call DA a punk, or loser or whatever because he lost parts of his life to drugs is absurd. He lost it, and REBUILT IT. Comment on the WHOLE story.

I can assure everyone here from first hand experience, that when you have lost it all to your own recklessness, it takes a monumental effort to get back up, regroup, and rebuild your life.

People screw up, they know it, and all they want is a shot at getting "right". Try to get a fair shake when it happens to you. I got news for ya, you dont.

Untill you yourself have fallen to the lowest points possible in life, you dont have the experience or knowledge of what it takes rebuild.

The pic of DA holding his granddaughter says it all......" I rose, I fell, I picked myself up."

To those who have lead the "straight and narrow" for your whole life, you are to be commemded. Doesnt give you the right to look down upon others from the pedastel, with scorn and criticism.

I used to care but....... things have changed
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: 70Challengerse] #55168
03/20/08 10:08 PM
03/20/08 10:08 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
If my memory serves me correctly, DA was never accused or charged with being a user. He was charged for not testifying state's evidence in a drug bust regarding someone he knew.

Again, who caught them cheating? No one, that I know of. There is a ton of innuendo, and rumors. To me, talk is cheap. If you've got the proof, let's see it. If not, shut up.

I do know for a fact that the insurance covering the equipment was paid to the extent of the coverage (which wasn't enough) and there was an exhaustive investigation by the Insurance carrier in which the possibility of an "inside job" was looked at. No evidence of such was ever discovered, and the contract was paid.

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to believe the worst about anyone, without firsthand knowledge. Do due dilligence, and then judge for yourself. For my money, DA, Sullivan, Hutchens, and Koffel were successful because they worked hard at developing a program by thinking outside of the box. They were, and still are class guys, and all of the unproven accusations in the world will not take away their accomplishments.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: NTOLERANCE] #55169
03/20/08 10:15 PM
03/20/08 10:15 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Been there,done that for too long,lost it all,came back,regrouped,picked my head up and started all over again.

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: NTOLERANCE] #55170
03/20/08 10:23 PM
03/20/08 10:23 PM
Madison Wi
NTOLERANCE Offline
master
NTOLERANCE  Offline
master

Madison Wi
Just re-read my last post, I should also state in all fairness, that for every person that rebuilds and doesnt fall back down, there are plenty who will fall again, or wants that second chance only to use someone again, or throw everything away once more.

That appears not to be the case with DA.

I used to care but....... things have changed
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: NTOLERANCE] #55171
03/20/08 10:29 PM
03/20/08 10:29 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

The pic of DA holding his granddaughter says it all......" I rose, I fell, I picked myself up."

I was very hesitant on posting that pic. I hope the majority of people that see it see that side of Darrell because that is who he is.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Steve1118] #55172
03/20/08 10:31 PM
03/20/08 10:31 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

If my memory serves me correctly, DA was never accused or charged with being a user. He was charged for not testifying state's evidence in a drug bust regarding someone he knew.

Pretty close. He was charged with distribution. I believe he could have turned in more than one person involved with NHRA.

He's paid the price, and still pays it every day. He can no longer go hunting with his sons because of the gun issues.

He's a good guy who has always worked hard and never had a thing given to him.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Prostock] #55173
03/20/08 10:36 PM
03/20/08 10:36 PM
NE Oklahoma
V
Von Offline
master
Von  Offline
master
V

NE Oklahoma
[quote
He can no longer go hunting with his sons because of the gun issues.

Do you honestly believe that? Dont tell my father in law who is a convicted felon, on drug charges I may add, and has over 20 guns, hunts at will, etc.

72 RR, Pump gas 440, 452s, 3800 lbs, Corked, ET Radials,. 11.33@117.72. Same car, bone stock 346s, 9.5 comp, baby solid. 12.24@110.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Prostock] #55174
03/20/08 10:40 PM
03/20/08 10:40 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

I was very hesitant on posting that pic. I hope the majority of people that see it see that side of Darrell because that is who he is.

I'm already on the record regarding the Wayne County part of this thread. As far as Darrell Alderman goes I am still a fan of his and would like nothing better than for him to climb aboard another top Mopar ride. I side with the guys who are glad he was able to get his life turned around. The Alderman/Geoffrion Mopar ride we all got to take was incredible. -Bob

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Von] #55175
03/20/08 10:43 PM
03/20/08 10:43 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

[quote
He can no longer go hunting with his sons because of the gun issues.

Do you honestly believe that? Dont tell my father in law who is a convicted felon, on drug charges I may add, and has over 20 guns, hunts at will, etc.

If he ever gets caught, you'll never see him again away from bars.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55176
03/20/08 10:46 PM
03/20/08 10:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

fixed

I agree that the Dodge Boys weren't alone. I do know for a fact that the blocks that were supposedly vandalized weren't the only of those blocks in existence. Really, who tools up to build 4 blocks. I guess there are some of you still in denial. -Bob

Who said there were only 4 blocks made?

On that moring team member Jim Musgrave walked into the The Wayne County Speed Shop,which handled the racing program for Mopar,and found that the entire engine program had been gone over with a sledge hammer.Not just any old going over either but thouroughly and meticulously with an eye on exactly the hi-dollar,one of a kind parts needed to take Team Mopar out of the picture.

Whoever the culprits where they took out specific cylinder blocks,heads,and intake manifolds all of which were custom made with many thousands of hours worth of painstaking labor and research.Of course,ironically,this was right before the huge surge in CNC machining technology.Had this happened today any of those parts could be reproduced in about an hour by just chucking a chunk of aluminium in a milling machine,pressing a few buttons and sitting back and waiting for the machine to do the work.

Well,anyhow,it wasn't like that back then and all of the critical one of one pieces were lost,and just twelve hours before the team was slated to leave for Englishtown,NJ.Besides that the perps also painted all over the walls with a GM rules slogan and an Oldsmobile emblem.Of course the finger pointing flew in all directions but mainly at Warren Johnson.I myself wouldn't put it past the likes of him(being the biggest jackazz in motorsports)but without proof who's to say?

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Prostock] #55177
03/20/08 10:51 PM
03/20/08 10:51 PM
NE Oklahoma
V
Von Offline
master
Von  Offline
master
V

NE Oklahoma
Quote:

Im fully aware of that, but if you think convicted felons dont have guns or hunt, then you are sorely mistaken. That was point.

72 RR, Pump gas 440, 452s, 3800 lbs, Corked, ET Radials,. 11.33@117.72. Same car, bone stock 346s, 9.5 comp, baby solid. 12.24@110.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Von] #55178
03/20/08 10:55 PM
03/20/08 10:55 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

Im fully aware of that, but if you think convicted felons dont have guns or hunt, then you are sorely mistaken. That was point.

I am sure some do, I never questioned that. From what I know, Darrell does not. I am sure he feel he has too much to lose.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Prostock] #55179
03/20/08 11:11 PM
03/20/08 11:11 PM
S
smalltyredart67 Offline
mopar
smalltyredart67  Offline
mopar
S

Hey why did my post get wacked? I thought it was a pretty positive and realistic viewpoint.

smalltyredart
jeff r

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: BobR] #55180
03/21/08 12:19 AM
03/21/08 12:19 AM
Pennsylvania
proshiftcharger Offline
pro stock
proshiftcharger  Offline
pro stock

Pennsylvania
Quote:

Darrel Alderman is the best driver i have seen. He is the only man that i have seen keep his foot on the gas with the car way out off the groove.
Those pearly white teeth off his and the interviews by the late Steve Evans at the finish line will be missed.

Absolutely!! I remember during the drug ordeal there was a race in Canada ?Molson Golden Nationals? I believe, anyways because of the trouble he was in he had to go through a bunch of red tape to leave the country. He arrived at the race late..in fact very late and just made the last round of qualifying. With it being his only shot to qualify he had no choice but to stay in it and the car was all over the track & out of the groove. He never lifted and made the field.

As far as his post interviews....there was no one more mild mannered than Darrell and accompany him with Steve Evans....what a great combo.

Another thing Darrell did (or didnt do) that I remember. It was at the Keystone Nationals in Reading PA. He was racing Ricky Smith. Anyone remember him?? "Tricky Ricky" He drove the STP
?Pontiac? pretty sure. Anyway he beat Darrell in an early round and my brother & I were sitting in the stands and when the win light went on for Ricky everyone cheered. It seemed like we were waaay out numbered, anyway, come the next round Darrells in the staging lanes here turns out Tricky Ricky was too light and was DQ.
That really hushed the crowd..

You are a Mopar icon Darrell....thank you!

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Billy B Bad] #55181
03/21/08 12:55 AM
03/21/08 12:55 AM
State of Fascism
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of Fascism
Quote:

Quote:

I just have to say I have no respect for anyone who has to plead guilty to federal drug charges. Cheater or not that shows a serious lack of character in my book and don't care if he ever makes it back to the show. He had it all going his way and threw it away over dope.

I agree 100%.

Ahh....The world is perfect and nobody makes mistakes not even us here on Moparts

Its not what he did in the past, it's what he has done to change his ways IMO.

Since some of you guys want to sling mud..what about when mopar's greatest driver..RONNIE SOX, got busted with stolen mini-bikes. Should the faithful have abandoned him?

I THINK NOT.

and what about a certain current TOP.. Pro/Stock driver who is well known to take drugs. I know too many people who have partied with him for it to be made up. For legal reasons I'll leave it at that.

Like it or not..booz and drugs are here to stay.

and.. uh..laughing gas?

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11