12/05/09 01:59 PM
12/05/09 01:59 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
here is history time line of a 4.15 stroke Eagle crank...Back then they werent many choices for 4.15 cranks.

Assembled the engine and installed in a 69 Dodge Coronet Superbee clone. It had Edelbrock heads and was a 100% street car..It seen plenty of track time
2004 decided it was time to upgrade the engine for more power..
Set of 440-1's and topend from Muscle motors..
Ran the car until fall of 2005. At this point it was more race than street.
Pulled the engine and installed in a 1987 Dodge Dakota. Ran it with a stock 6 quart pan, and HV oil pump and non restricted Indy oiling kit...Yep..Sucked the pan dry smoked 2 rods. Had the crank turned .020, new rings..Seen some cap walk. reassembled it. Now the engine has the same main bearings after all that...They looked new. New rings etc. Had the heads ported, installed a large roller cam.
Raced it till fall of 2007..who knows the passes I put on this thing...It was a Guinea pig, I tested and sorted out carbs,converters, alky injection systems you name it.

Sold the short block to a friend, then he sold it to another friend..Now its between the rails of a 84 Model Ram Charger for mud pit racing.
It died early this year when his 440 Source heads sprung a leak..He could have saved it if he would listen..I told him to pressure check the head...he tried to make that weekend race and just replaced a head gasket which wasnt the problem. Trashed the engine after this.

That crank with stood more abuse than about anyone could dish out, and endured a bunch of punishment, and War wounds along the way.

It had the same main bearings in this engine from day one until it death in fall of 2009 RIP old friend.

When the engine had all the upgrades done, it was probably making a true 700hp..
The Little Dakota would pull the front tires two feet high and run 114mph in the 8th mile at 3400 lbs.

The crank was always mag'd when apart looking for cracks...I guess I just got a good one...
This was the same crank OOTB that wasnt exceptable to run..Journals had some taper, and was way on the max limit on the big end mic scale..So it was turned before it was even ran. Back then these cranks were $850 and I had another $100+ in correcting it...My machinist can balance a engine for sure..Never have bearing trouble.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? [Re: tboomer] #539082
12/05/09 02:11 PM
12/05/09 02:11 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Dan...Speak up!! I would like to hear your thoughts on the crank..The eagle should be better than my 40 year old one...I can't remember but my crank may be an old Kellog. BGR told me how to check that. This engine has been together since 2001 and has a boatload of passes on it. I still think that the Mancini kit is the way to go. I bought my first overhaul kit from them and they have always treated me good!!

do you want to take everything to a machine shop after you buy it from mancini and have it checked? if not pick up the phone call Dan and order it.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? [Re: Quicktree] #539083
12/05/09 03:36 PM
12/05/09 03:36 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I was talking crankshafts with the head of a machine shop the other day and he said go with a Eagle 4340 crank, also said he wouldn't put a scat crank in if there was a truck load of free one's out side his door. Wonder what that means?

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? [Re: rowin4] #539084
12/05/09 04:41 PM
12/05/09 04:41 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

I was talking crankshafts with the head of a machine shop the other day and he said go with a Eagle 4340 crank, also said he wouldn't put a scat crank in if there was a truck load of free one's out side his door. Wonder what that means?

I think it means you better find a new machine shop

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? [Re: tboomer] #539085
12/05/09 05:01 PM
12/05/09 05:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Jake...That's what I like to hear!! Dan...Speak up...I am waiting...

Ted, i've decided not to publicly post any more on this topic. i have factual information on a number of different brands of crankshafts, but publicly posting it on this site always creates a devisive atmosphere. it seems when someone posts factual information that isn't what they want to hear, the slugfest begins. best of luck to you.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? #539086
12/05/09 05:36 PM
12/05/09 05:36 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Ted, i've decided not to publicly post any more on this topic. i have factual information on a number of different brands of crankshafts, but publicly posting it on this site always creates a devisive atmosphere. it seems when someone posts factual information that isn't what they want to hear, the slugfest begins. best of luck to you.

oh come on Dan we don't give a flip what they say. post the info don't make the majority of the members suffer because of a few.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? [Re: Quicktree] #539087
12/06/09 02:27 AM
12/06/09 02:27 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

oh come on Dan we don't give a flip what they say. post the info don't make a few of the members suffer because of the majority.

fixed ...

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? #539088
12/06/09 10:46 AM
12/06/09 10:46 AM
Mo.
S
supercomp Offline
master
supercomp  Offline
master
S

Mo.
Quote:

Quote:

Dan, i'm sorry for putting you on the spot. I respect your opinion that's why I ask. I'm planning on getting a K1 crank, rods and diamond pistons from you and have you check them seven ways to Sunday before they're shipped. I don't trust anything OOTB. And if you don't trust K1 I'll use something else.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3