Moparts

Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini??

Posted By: tboomer

Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/28/09 05:36 PM

MANCINI - 493 ci 440 Flattop piston Stroker Kit
Kit includes: Diamond flat top lightweight forged pistons wit .990 pin and Diamond moly piston ring set. Eagle 4340 forged crank with 2.200" rod journal. Eagle ESP H-Beam rods. Clevite Tri metal rod and main bearing set.
$1,450.00
MRE440-493-FLAT
Opinions??? Looks like a pretty good deal!!
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/28/09 05:38 PM

Balanced ?

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/28/09 05:40 PM

Unbalanced,Doc...
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/28/09 06:00 PM

Thats a deal...Those are premium part... a bunch better than other low cost kits..
I would jump on that.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/28/09 06:11 PM

That's what I thought,Bob! I have some major OT coming up...Probably enough to pay for the kit!!
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/28/09 08:10 PM

damn Teddy...we are gonna be running heads up soon if you keep buying all these new parts !

Posted By: 383man

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/29/09 12:43 AM

I might consider that myself for my next eng. Ron
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/29/09 01:50 AM

I haven't used that kit but I did use a 4.150 stroke Eagle forged crank in a 440 and had to grind the block to clear the counterweights. Eagle can't seem to figure out the counterweights need to fit in the block. I'm not their biggest fan though so maybe I'm just being hard on them.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/29/09 02:31 AM

Good parts for a good price, I'd still prefer the 4.25 stroke if you can get it.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/29/09 03:05 PM

Quote:

Balanced ?

I would not pay for the balance job , unless it was adding another 300 or so to the cost , you buy a 150 balance job you GET a 150 balance job ... which entails LOOKING at the weights written on the box

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/29/09 08:51 PM

Thanks,guys!! Kevin...You are 400# less than me!! No heads up! John...You are so right on the balancing act!! I will call tech at Mancini when I have the time...Curious about compression ratio with my 80cc heads.. I have a lot of irons in the fire at this time with dad passing on and a boatload of OT at work..I am scheduled for 56 hours this week and 66 hours next week! Ted
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/29/09 09:06 PM

Quote:

Good parts for a good price, I'd still prefer the 4.25 stroke if you can get it.

but if a 4.25 is not an option, thats a great deal, i'd jump on that,wish that price was around when i did my last motor, could of saved a bunch of $$$$.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/30/09 10:38 PM

Bobby...I think I would be happy with this kit...No desire to be super fast!! I talked with a tech at Diamond racing,his name was Nick. Very helpful,he said they sell a lot of Mopar pistons. He said the compression would be 11.3-1. I can live with that.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/30/09 11:19 PM

That is a good deal for these parts. I'm actually thinking about it too.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 11/30/09 11:52 PM

Must be the name of who sells the kit makes them better than some of the other low buck stroker kits out there. There all the same, diamond, ross, or keith black pistons , unnamed h-beamed rods and crank . I must say that is a good deal. How much for a balance job?
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 12:18 AM

Sorry to hear about your dad tboomer.
That kits looks like a good price. But i thought you was going to buy a stroker short block from somebody? dang now you are getting me to want to buy a stroker kit for my 440. Mopar65
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 12:43 AM

Quote:

I must say that is a good deal. How much for a balance job?

They sell the same kit but internal balanced for an extra 300 bucks. I think most people will pay their local machine shop to do it.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 12:57 AM

Thanks for the condolence,Bobby...I have a bunch of things going on with that,as I am executor(sp)..Yes...the 508 was discussed..Really thought hard about that one!! It is just a bracket car...With the 493...We can start from the ground up and know what we have...
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 01:37 AM

Ted can you pm me about all the details about the 508? I might be interested in it.I need to step un the engine in the dart.But by the time i get mine going all you guys will be running 8 in the 1/4 lol thanks Bobby

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 02:54 AM

Quote:

Must be the name of who sells the kit makes them better than some of the other low buck stroker kits out there. There all the same, diamond, ross, or keith black pistons , unnamed h-beamed rods and crank . I must say that is a good deal. How much for a balance job?

No , it's alot more than just who is selling it , and if you think they are all the same then you should just buy the cheapest ...

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 03:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No , it's alot more than just who is selling it , and if you think they are all the same then you should just buy the cheapest ...

sometimes i wonder if people really believe that stuff, or is it true that rationalization is man's best friend?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 03:36 AM

Quote:

... is it true that rationalization is man's best friend?

All I need is a big bowl a rationalization to go w/ a tall glass of cold milk and a box of vanilla wafers and I'm all set.
Posted By: drmopar

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 01:55 PM

That package I believe is from Best Machine. They have set up crate engines and rotating assemblies to sell thru Mancini. My
Posted By: Mancini Racing

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 03:16 PM

These stroker kits come unbalanced as you may have your machine shop do additional work.

However, they can be ordered balanced for an additional $300.

Thanks.

Mancini Racing
800-843-2821
www.manciniracing.com
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 06:18 PM

Quote:

These stroker kits come unbalanced as you may have your machine shop do additional work.

Thanks.

Mancini Racing
800-843-2821
www.manciniracing.com

is'nt there a special deal moparts members get from mancini if asked? what would the cost be with said discount???

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 06:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Mancini Racing
800-843-2821
www.manciniracing.com

I hope that's a REAL balance job for that amount and not the typical use the number on the box and ASSuME the maker is telling the truth and actually has the parts within their own specs ?

If not then this is why I say buying prebalanced is waste of money.
Posted By: supercomp

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 07:52 PM

DRAM, what are you saying? Do you like or dislike Eagle stuff? Some of your post is why I would never buy an Eagle product.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 08:04 PM

Quote:

That package I believe is from Best Machine. They have set up crate engines and rotating assemblies to sell thru Mancini. My

Is this true?
If it is..I wouldnt think twice about having them balance it. Although $300 is on the high side for a nice balance job around here. You know it to Be right coming from those guys.

Can anyone confirm this?

I had a good chuckle out of the comment thad all those pistons were the same.. Other than CP Diamond pistons IMO were the best pistons out there...Although these Wiesco pistons for this Hemi was very, very close in weight. Right at a half gram.

I think that Eagle cranks and Scat even though are Off shore forgings are a little better than the no name stuff...I know they are tough from experiance. Im willing to bet that the Eagle crank, and rods I have run has over 1000+ runs on it.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/01/09 08:22 PM

Bob, If you reread my post, it say's , diamond, ross, keith black pistons and unnamed crank and rods. All names of different piston manufactures that supply pistons to those kits, not that there the same manufacturer, there might be more also. Regarding the no name crank and rods, who is the supplier of those? could be eagle, scat , cat or dog .

Posted By: 71TrakPak

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 03:02 AM

I was looking at the same kit as i'll be making a decision on a 493 stroker kit in a week or so.....I spoke w/ my machinist/engine builder and he says thats WAY cheaper than what he can get Eagle kits for.
I called mancini racing and inquired why this kit was so cheap and it was explained that the rods are chevy sized (2.20) which brings the price down considerably. Also there is no balance on it (all the better). the only difference that I can see is that the Pistons are Diamond and not SRP like in the Eagle direct kits.

components as stated from the web site:
MANCINI - 493 ci 440 Flattop piston Stroker Kit
Kit includes: Diamond flat top lightweight forged pistons wit .990 pin and Diamond moly piston ring set. Eagle 4340 forged crank with 2.200" rod journal. Eagle ESP H-Beam rods. Clevite Tri metal rod and main bearing set.
$1,450.00
MRE440-493-FLAT

i'm i missing something? it sounds like a craigs list scam. or is this a no brainer, cause the timing couldn't be better.......

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 03:25 AM

Quote:

DRAM, what are you saying? Do you like or dislike Eagle stuff? Some of your post is why I would never buy an Eagle product.

i'd be happy to answer that, but it's not really a yes or no answer regarding Eagle parts. i don't want to take this thread off target unless the O/P gives his blessing.
Posted By: 71TrakPak

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 03:47 AM

DRAM, I'd like to hear your experience with Eagle products, good or bad. Not all of us build motors on a regular bases and look to these forums for research on what works and doesn't.....thanks.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 04:56 AM

Quote:

DRAM, I'd like to hear your experience with Eagle products, good or bad. Not all of us build motors on a regular bases and look to these forums for research on what works and doesn't.....thanks.

This was my experience with an Eagle crank... Granted it was cast but I highly doubt my little 408 was pushing 500+ hp. Not knocking the crank itself, I feel they overrated it's capabilities, but I am knocking their customer service. With other manufacturers out there, it's enough for me not to buy Eagle again. For the record, the eagle and scat cranks are not the same. The RPM's, however, look just like the scats.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 05:03 AM

Must of had your fan belt to tight. Isn't eagle supposed to be the best of the lower priced cranks? Never seen a crank break on the front.

Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 05:06 AM

With the great reputation that Mancini has,I wouldn't hesitate to jump all over a deal like that.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 05:56 AM

Quote:

Must of had your fan belt to tight. Isn't eagle supposed to be the best of the lower priced cranks? Never seen a crank break on the front.

I'd run a scat before I'd run an Eagle. And that's without the issues I had. One of the journals on this crank was tapered and went under the low. I had correct clearance though and I had to wait weeks to get this crank so I ran it. The pistons hit the counterweights and the pilot bushing hole is an odd size.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 06:51 AM

Dan...Speak up!! I would like to hear your thoughts on the crank..The eagle should be better than my 40 year old one...I can't remember but my crank may be an old Kellog. BGR told me how to check that. This engine has been together since 2001 and has a boatload of passes on it. I still think that the Mancini kit is the way to go. I bought my first overhaul kit from them and they have always treated me good!!
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/02/09 01:19 PM

I have used several of those kits and have never had an issue. The only thing that I had done was skin the crank to get the clearance I wanted.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/03/09 07:04 AM

Jake...That's what I like to hear!! Dan...Speak up...I am waiting...
Posted By: Cyl.Porter

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/05/09 05:33 PM

Ted I would use the SCAT crank. I have seen to many eagle cranks that are poorly made. Thats why i got rid of mine and went with a Callies. My next motor will be all SCAT rotating with JE pistons. If you want i can have my engine builder in florida price you a scat rotating. Just give me a call and tell me what you are looking for and i will call him and get a price for you.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/05/09 05:59 PM

here is history time line of a 4.15 stroke Eagle crank...Back then they werent many choices for 4.15 cranks.

Assembled the engine and installed in a 69 Dodge Coronet Superbee clone. It had Edelbrock heads and was a 100% street car..It seen plenty of track time
2004 decided it was time to upgrade the engine for more power..
Set of 440-1's and topend from Muscle motors..
Ran the car until fall of 2005. At this point it was more race than street.
Pulled the engine and installed in a 1987 Dodge Dakota. Ran it with a stock 6 quart pan, and HV oil pump and non restricted Indy oiling kit...Yep..Sucked the pan dry smoked 2 rods. Had the crank turned .020, new rings..Seen some cap walk. reassembled it. Now the engine has the same main bearings after all that...They looked new. New rings etc. Had the heads ported, installed a large roller cam.
Raced it till fall of 2007..who knows the passes I put on this thing...It was a Guinea pig, I tested and sorted out carbs,converters, alky injection systems you name it.

Sold the short block to a friend, then he sold it to another friend..Now its between the rails of a 84 Model Ram Charger for mud pit racing.
It died early this year when his 440 Source heads sprung a leak..He could have saved it if he would listen..I told him to pressure check the head...he tried to make that weekend race and just replaced a head gasket which wasnt the problem. Trashed the engine after this.

That crank with stood more abuse than about anyone could dish out, and endured a bunch of punishment, and War wounds along the way.

It had the same main bearings in this engine from day one until it death in fall of 2009 RIP old friend.

When the engine had all the upgrades done, it was probably making a true 700hp..
The Little Dakota would pull the front tires two feet high and run 114mph in the 8th mile at 3400 lbs.

The crank was always mag'd when apart looking for cracks...I guess I just got a good one...
This was the same crank OOTB that wasnt exceptable to run..Journals had some taper, and was way on the max limit on the big end mic scale..So it was turned before it was even ran. Back then these cranks were $850 and I had another $100+ in correcting it...My machinist can balance a engine for sure..Never have bearing trouble.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/05/09 06:11 PM

Quote:

Dan...Speak up!! I would like to hear your thoughts on the crank..The eagle should be better than my 40 year old one...I can't remember but my crank may be an old Kellog. BGR told me how to check that. This engine has been together since 2001 and has a boatload of passes on it. I still think that the Mancini kit is the way to go. I bought my first overhaul kit from them and they have always treated me good!!

do you want to take everything to a machine shop after you buy it from mancini and have it checked? if not pick up the phone call Dan and order it.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/05/09 07:36 PM

I was talking crankshafts with the head of a machine shop the other day and he said go with a Eagle 4340 crank, also said he wouldn't put a scat crank in if there was a truck load of free one's out side his door. Wonder what that means?

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/05/09 08:41 PM

Quote:

I was talking crankshafts with the head of a machine shop the other day and he said go with a Eagle 4340 crank, also said he wouldn't put a scat crank in if there was a truck load of free one's out side his door. Wonder what that means?

I think it means you better find a new machine shop

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/05/09 09:01 PM

Quote:

Ted, i've decided not to publicly post any more on this topic. i have factual information on a number of different brands of crankshafts, but publicly posting it on this site always creates a devisive atmosphere. it seems when someone posts factual information that isn't what they want to hear, the slugfest begins. best of luck to you.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/05/09 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ted, i've decided not to publicly post any more on this topic. i have factual information on a number of different brands of crankshafts, but publicly posting it on this site always creates a devisive atmosphere. it seems when someone posts factual information that isn't what they want to hear, the slugfest begins. best of luck to you.

oh come on Dan we don't give a flip what they say. post the info don't make the majority of the members suffer because of a few.

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/06/09 06:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

oh come on Dan we don't give a flip what they say. post the info don't make a few of the members suffer because of the majority.

fixed ...
Posted By: supercomp

Re: Anyone use this stroker kit from Mancini?? - 12/06/09 02:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dan, i'm sorry for putting you on the spot. I respect your opinion that's why I ask. I'm planning on getting a K1 crank, rods and diamond pistons from you and have you check them seven ways to Sunday before they're shipped. I don't trust anything OOTB. And if you don't trust K1 I'll use something else.
© 2024 Moparts Forums