11/07/09 07:20 PM
11/07/09 07:20 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

A friend of mine added cold water too soon to his overheated 2000 Dodge Ram Van 5.9 engine.

I think he developed a crack somewhere. We eventually disassembled the motor in the engine bay to inspect it.

First he drained the water and oil from the crankcase. He did an optomistic oil change. Then he tried to run it. It ran like crap. He drained what was left in the block and rad. Then he removed the spark plugs and used a fixture to suck the water out of the cylinders through the spark plug holes with a shop vac.

The valve covers came off and evidence of water coming through the valve guides of cylinders 5, 2 and 4.

While removing the heads bolts I noticed a few bolts came off rather easily with no sound. We removed the heads and found 4 cylinders completely filled with water.

The fire ring on the head gasket was sucked in on cylinder #3 but it was a dry cylinder.

Cylinders 5, 2, 4, and 6 were really cleaned up well from water being in the cylinder. Cylinder #4 had ean extremely damaged rough ring around the top of the bore, just above the ringland. This damage was about 3/8 to 1/2 high and ran in a band around the cylinder. It was deep and protruding.

I think the motor is scrap.

Any theories of what else could be damaged?

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Hydrolocked Motor? [Re: racealittle] #518425
11/07/09 08:35 PM
11/07/09 08:35 PM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI
scrap, probably cracked the heads and the block after the hydrolocking...

Re: Hydrolocked Motor? [Re: racealittle] #518426
11/07/09 08:42 PM
11/07/09 08:42 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

A friend of mine added cold water too soon to his overheated 2000 Dodge Ram Van 5.9 engine.

I think he developed a crack somewhere. We eventually disassembled the motor in the engine bay to inspect it.

First he drained the water and oil from the crankcase. He did an optomistic oil change. Then he tried to run it. It ran like crap. He drained what was left in the block and rad. Then he removed the spark plugs and used a fixture to suck the water out of the cylinders through the spark plug holes with a shop vac.

The valve covers came off and evidence of water coming through the valve guides of cylinders 5, 2 and 4.

While removing the heads bolts I noticed a few bolts came off rather easily with no sound. We removed the heads and found 4 cylinders completely filled with water.

The fire ring on the head gasket was sucked in on cylinder #3 but it was a dry cylinder.

Cylinders 5, 2, 4, and 6 were really cleaned up well from water being in the cylinder. Cylinder #4 had ean extremely damaged rough ring around the top of the bore, just above the ringland. This damage was about 3/8 to 1/2 high and ran in a band around the cylinder. It was deep and protruding.

I think the motor is scrap.

Any theories of what else could be damaged?

wouldn't it be easier to answer what might still be good?? sound's like you might have a boat anchor to me, sorry to hear that.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Hydrolocked Motor? [Re: CokeBottleKid] #518427
11/07/09 08:44 PM
11/07/09 08:44 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
The only way to figure out what you have is careful inspection & observation

Re: Hydrolocked Motor? [Re: emarine01] #518428
11/07/09 11:16 PM
11/07/09 11:16 PM
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

Quote:

The only way to figure out what you have is careful inspection & observation

That's what I've been doing. I had to listen to his story, and make sense of it. I'm trying to help they guy since he needs the vehicle to work his construction/ home improvement business. He has helped me with my garage and other home related projects. He has even towed me to the track on occasion.

The heads show no outward signs of cracks. We used spot check by magnaflux. We also tried the spot check on that #4 cylinder wall.

It's so hard to get that motor out easy. I still have to check the deck surface of the block with the spot check. The internals of this engine are just cruddy, and coked. The truck worked hard daily. I also know the original owner of the truck and how it was taken care of. I'm surprised how bad this looks.

I'm certain the heads got lifted, but can't see any other signs of cracks other than that messed up #4 cylinder wall. The spot check is kind of useless on that section. At least I'm not sure how to interpret it with the blemished surface. It might hone out, but why if there is a crack in the block? The heads have to be warped, and perhaps the deck as well.

I wonder about bearings, bent rods, etc. The rotating assembly in the short block turns so easy. If the block is cracked I would like to have an idea where and just get on with it.

I know a reload with a good used 5.9 magnum would get him back in business. There is nothing on craigslist or kijiji locally. The worst part is we are working outside like shadetree mechanics with the leaves falling and colder weather coming.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Hydrolocked Motor? [Re: racealittle] #518429
11/07/09 11:36 PM
11/07/09 11:36 PM
Cali S.B
Sub95 Offline
super gas
Sub95  Offline
super gas

Cali S.B
check #4 rod i bet its bent. easy way to do it is to measure it while it's at TDC then compare it to another one at TDC.

Re: Hydrolocked Motor? [Re: racealittle] #518430
11/08/09 01:59 AM
11/08/09 01:59 AM
saint paul mn.
J
johnzgarage Offline
mopar
johnzgarage  Offline
mopar
J

saint paul mn.
To be cheap and quick, have the heads p.s.i. checked and surfaced,check for bent or damaged valve train . Throw a new set of head gaskets on and go with it !!! ..AT this point all what you will have into it is oil , gaskets and mill charge on heads. Chances are it will fix the problem.....what do you have to loose.

Re: Hydrolocked Motor? [Re: Sub95] #518431
11/08/09 02:02 AM
11/08/09 02:02 AM
Las Vegas, NV
dodgeboy11 Offline
super stock
dodgeboy11  Offline
super stock

Las Vegas, NV
I'd bet the farm those heads are cracked. They always crack between the intake and exhaust seats. Whether or not that's enough to put that much water in or not, I can't say but I suppose it's possible.
Don't know how much money your buddy is willing to pay, but the shop I work at deals with small mopars quite often and we're very good at them. Shop's number is in my signature if he's interested. Call and talk to Tom. We're not the cheapest though, just to warn you, but the engine will be good as long as it's not screwed up on installation. Dyno tested and all that...