11/09/09 05:36 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

I saw the piece at SEMA and was told fitment in an A-body was no problem, so why would it be an issue in a B-body? Again, at SEMA, I was told there'd be 2 mounting points to accomodate people so again what's the problem? Most hotrodders nowadays have custom driveshafts built so AGAIN I don't see an issue. Now it being Chinese made I understand & agree with being concerned. As a consumer & someone not in the automotive industry I find it "intersting" that representatives from other companies are so quick to highlight its shortcomings when there hasn't even been published performance results on the thing. That's kinda like finding someone guilty before a trial......

70 and earlier B bodies have their shifter mounting point FOWARD of a A body and VERY forward of an E body , I own both an A body and a 69 B body , no way that thing is going in there with that tailshaft without HACKING the tunnel , as it is I think the cover on the trans is going to require some MASSAGING of the tunnel to fit .

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: LAR_414] #517341
11/09/09 06:14 PM
11/09/09 06:14 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
It looks to me that the shifter block assy can be rotated 180, and bolted in front to acomidate a different mounting hole in the floor. I dont think its gonna be a drop in deal, but I do think it will be cheaper to manufacture a cover on the kick out.

Kasey

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: CJK440] #517342
11/09/09 06:56 PM
11/09/09 06:56 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Interesting gear arrangement and it looks pro-shifted. Perhaps they offer different gear sets with traditional syncros?

I hope they offer a HELICAL gearset , that straight cut gear will not be fun in a street car

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: JohnRR] #517343
11/09/09 07:45 PM
11/09/09 07:45 PM
Essex, Ont., Canada
Fishmarket Offline
enthusiast
Fishmarket  Offline
enthusiast

Essex, Ont., Canada
Quote:

Quote:

I saw the piece at SEMA and was told fitment in an A-body was no problem, so why would it be an issue in a B-body? Again, at SEMA, I was told there'd be 2 mounting points to accomodate people so again what's the problem? Most hotrodders nowadays have custom driveshafts built so AGAIN I don't see an issue. Now it being Chinese made I understand & agree with being concerned. As a consumer & someone not in the automotive industry I find it "intersting" that representatives from other companies are so quick to highlight its shortcomings when there hasn't even been published performance results on the thing. That's kinda like finding someone guilty before a trial......

70 and earlier B bodies have their shifter mounting point FOWARD of a A body and VERY forward of an E body , I own both an A body and a 69 B body , no way that thing is going in there with that tailshaft without HACKING the tunnel , as it is I think the cover on the trans is going to require some MASSAGING of the tunnel to fit .

I believe the link stated that the trans was available with different tailshafts for Mopar, Gm and Ford apps. Who says that the one shown is for a '69 B body?

1972 Plymouth Cuda 340 4 speed 1971 Plymouth Road Runner 383 Auto 1970 Plymouth Duster /6 Auto
Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: Fishmarket] #517344
11/09/09 07:58 PM
11/09/09 07:58 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Everything that shines, ain't gold. I wont be the guinea pig, I will wait for proof. I'll stick to my Glide till then. Saving my pennies for a liberty or jerico.

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: B1KILLER] #517345
11/09/09 10:31 PM
11/09/09 10:31 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Everything that shines, ain't gold. I wont be the guinea pig, I will wait for proof. I'll stick to my Glide till then. Saving my pennies for a liberty or jerico.

agreed...i got a little excited when i saw this tranny since it is another 5 speed option for everyone, but the price seemed too good to be true, and now after reading it is taiwan produced it is obvious why...mind you, as much as i support North American made products, not ALL overseas stuff is bad...i read that gm version will be out in march 2010 with mopar ones soon to follow...way i see it is let the chevy boys be the guinea pigs for us mopar guys lol

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: mshred] #517346
11/09/09 10:48 PM
11/09/09 10:48 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Oh man...what a drag. I did not realize this unit was made outside of the US...my goal in saving for a OD trans was to get one made in-country....

I guess I will have to do some soul searching on this one. Perhaps the obvious choice would be sticking to a reliable vendor that has helped me mucho in the past <cough> Passon...

Interesting read, keep it coming folks.

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: mshred] #517347
11/09/09 11:21 PM
11/09/09 11:21 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

agreed...i got a little excited when i saw this tranny since it is another 5 speed option for everyone, but the price seemed too good to be true, and now after reading it is taiwan produced it is obvious why...mind you, as much as i support North American made products, not ALL overseas stuff is bad...i read that gm version will be out in march 2010 with mopar ones soon to follow...way i see it is let the chevy boys be the guinea pigs for us mopar guys lol

The only problem with using the GM guys for the guinea pigs is just about ANY trans will fit in a Chevy.I had to do alot of fabrication to fit the Richmond 5-speed in my car and my buddy took the Muncie out of his 'Camino and just bolted the Richmond in
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: Fishmarket] #517348
11/10/09 10:40 AM
11/10/09 10:40 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the link stated that the trans was available with different tailshafts for Mopar, Gm and Ford apps. Who says that the one shown is for a '69 B body?

take a close look at the tailshaft , if I remember right someone said 5th is in the tail , like a T 5 is ... i vaguely remember when I pro shifted one ... with this in mind look where the trans mount is , for a 70 down b body the shifter and it's INTERNAL RAIL system will have to be FORWARD of the mount , ASSuMEing the mount is in the stock mopar location .

We have another drop in NO HACK 5speed on the market and anyone with half a brain and an internet connection have read the horror stories of their installations , i have a friend that putthe TKO in his 69 RR , he didn't heed my warning and had the car painted , put the motor in and some the incorrect engine trans angle , had to hack open the floor pan to get the angle closer , but not factory correct ...

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: B1KILLER] #517349
11/10/09 10:43 AM
11/10/09 10:43 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

exactly , I'll wait till someone actually installs one in a mopar A or B body before I plunk down the cash ... but then again a faceplated straight cut gear trans isn't what I would consider street friendly ...

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: JohnRR] #517350
11/10/09 11:08 AM
11/10/09 11:08 AM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
To be polite, prefer to stick with factory 4 or us made 5 gears than go with import.
Funny, I looked into making a product recently, the cost was cheaper to do onshore than overseas.
Even the raw material supplier is usa was able to beat the imports price and assure iso compliance.
Anything can be made in this country, just how greedy do you want to be?

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: theclutcher] #517351
11/10/09 11:17 AM
11/10/09 11:17 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
FWIW, I believe most Tremec trannies are made in Mexico now...

just sayin'.....

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: theclutcher] #517352
11/10/09 11:27 AM
11/10/09 11:27 AM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
Where did the picture of the gearset come from?

It looks like a totally different application.

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: theclutcher] #517353
11/10/09 01:02 PM
11/10/09 01:02 PM
Sugarloaf, PA. USA
J
JamiePasson Offline
super stock
JamiePasson  Offline
super stock
J

Sugarloaf, PA. USA
Well,
I was not going to say anything just yet, BUT I feel that in light of the recent buzz about the McLeod trans, I guess it won’t hurt.

For a couple years now, we have been working on a NEW 5 Speed trans for Chrysler cars. We were not aware that McLeod was also doing it.

This is a clean sheet project. In other words, we are building this from the ground up. Due to our extensive experience with the cars that it must fit into, our individual designs that we will be offering will make installation easy. In fact, we feel that it will be something that the average guy can put in their car in just a few hours.

This unit will be a BOLT IN!!!!!!! No monkey business with driveline angles, notching torsion bar crossmembers, redrilling bellhouisngs, changing clutches. You will retain your ORIGINAL shifter handle in the ORIGINAL location. The unit will look like it came from the factory in the car. It will be a HURST style shifter arrangement with external linkage, just like the design of shifter that these great cars left the factory with.

There will be an A Body trans
There will be a B Body trans (‘63- ‘69)
There will be a'70 - UP B/E Body trans.

You will use your ORIGINAL driveshaft and yoke
You will use your ORIGINAL transmission crossmember and trans mount
You will use your ORIGINAL bellhousing
You will use your ORIGINAL flywheel,
You will use your ORIGINAL clutch and throwout bearing (18 spline only)

The unit WILL fit under the floor pan with no modifications.

Due to the simplicity here, it WILL be as easy as changing the trans. Truly an afternoon job.

As for cost… I can tell you this, it will not be $2300.00, HOWEVER, I feel that the price will be fair considering that the unit is MADE for the car. Versus taking an existing trans and trying to shoehorn it in and not cut the car as other manufacturers have tried in the past.

To accomplish the project, we have drawn on the years of gear cutting experience from our partner GFI. This is the organization that we have been working with our very successful Hemi OD project. They have a brand new CNC gear cutting facility that WE will be manufacturing the units.in.

And now for the BEST part…….

IT IS MANUFACTURED IN THE USA!

There will be more to come….

Passon Performance 309 Turkey Path Sugarloaf, PA 18249 (570) 401 8949 www.passonperformance.com
Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: DoctorDiff] #517354
11/10/09 01:08 PM
11/10/09 01:08 PM
western pennsylvania
b1dartsport Offline
super stock
b1dartsport  Offline
super stock

western pennsylvania
To Jamie passon: I don't think anyone here thinks you are a jerk for the comments you have made. I for one appreciate your insight. You can probably tell more about this product from one look than most of us after studying it for hours. I will not put a chinese trans in my car if it is perfect. I think this crap has to stop somewhere & I will only support vendors of american made products. Just my

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: JamiePasson] #517355
11/10/09 01:10 PM
11/10/09 01:10 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Sounds cool Jamie! Gear selections? Possible release date?

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: b1dartsport] #517356
11/10/09 02:04 PM
11/10/09 02:04 PM
Sugarloaf, PA. USA
J
JamiePasson Offline
super stock
JamiePasson  Offline
super stock
J

Sugarloaf, PA. USA
B1
Thanks for the compliment!
Jamie

Passon Performance 309 Turkey Path Sugarloaf, PA 18249 (570) 401 8949 www.passonperformance.com
Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: JamiePasson] #517357
11/10/09 03:02 PM
11/10/09 03:02 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
Quote:

Well,
I was not going to say anything just yet, BUT I feel that in light of the recent buzz about the McLeod trans, I guess it won’t hurt.

For a couple years now, we have been working on a NEW 5 Speed trans for Chrysler cars. We were not aware that McLeod was also doing it.

This is a clean sheet project. In other words, we are building this from the ground up. Due to our extensive experience with the cars that it must fit into, our individual designs that we will be offering will make installation easy. In fact, we feel that it will be something that the average guy can put in their car in just a few hours.

This unit will be a BOLT IN!!!!!!! No monkey business with driveline angles, notching torsion bar crossmembers, redrilling bellhouisngs, changing clutches. You will retain your ORIGINAL shifter handle in the ORIGINAL location. The unit will look like it came from the factory in the car. It will be a HURST style shifter arrangement with external linkage, just like the design of shifter that these great cars left the factory with.

There will be an A Body trans
There will be a B Body trans (‘63- ‘69)
There will be a'70 - UP B/E Body trans.

You will use your ORIGINAL driveshaft and yoke
You will use your ORIGINAL transmission crossmember and trans mount
You will use your ORIGINAL bellhousing
You will use your ORIGINAL flywheel,
You will use your ORIGINAL clutch and throwout bearing (18 spline only)

The unit WILL fit under the floor pan with no modifications.

Due to the simplicity here, it WILL be as easy as changing the trans. Truly an afternoon job.

As for cost… I can tell you this, it will not be $2300.00, HOWEVER, I feel that the price will be fair considering that the unit is MADE for the car. Versus taking an existing trans and trying to shoehorn it in and not cut the car as other manufacturers have tried in the past.

To accomplish the project, we have drawn on the years of gear cutting experience from our partner GFI. This is the organization that we have been working with our very successful Hemi OD project. They have a brand new CNC gear cutting facility that WE will be manufacturing the units.in.

And now for the BEST part…….

IT IS MANUFACTURED IN THE USA!

There will be more to come….

How much power will it handle? Will it be a street only unit, or should it be also strong enough for racing on slicks?

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: domingo] #517358
11/10/09 03:10 PM
11/10/09 03:10 PM
Sugarloaf, PA. USA
J
JamiePasson Offline
super stock
JamiePasson  Offline
super stock
J

Sugarloaf, PA. USA
We are SWAMPED today. I will hopefully get back on here later with some more info. I am a little reserved as to saying too much just yet. It will be more than capable of handling almost anything that you can throw at it. (We are not finished testing just yet, so I am not spitting out any figures) As for a street only, we are planning to make a full race version as well, but this will be down the road. You will certainly be able to race the standard version.

Re: New MOPAR 5 speed from McLeod!!!!!!! [Re: JamiePasson] #517359
11/10/09 03:40 PM
11/10/09 03:40 PM
Florida
65HemiCoronet Offline
mopar
65HemiCoronet  Offline
mopar

Florida
Jamie, I had been researching the parts needed to do a 5 speed in my 65 Coronet recently. I've got a 528 hemi 750 hp, 725# tq. I was just about to pull the trigger on beginning to buy parts when I saw the bit about the McLeod unit. I got pretty excitied about it until I read more of this thread. I take it it would be worth my while to wait a bit more and get more info on your new trans. Any rough idea of when they might be available? Thanks.

Yeah, it's got a hemi........a REAL hemi.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7