Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 38 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506537
06/25/12 12:25 AM
06/25/12 12:25 AM
france
J
jose jones Offline
super stock
jose jones  Offline
super stock
J

france
I have a older brother who is 10 years older than me, We grew up in a Chrysler Plymouth dealership in Utah. in 1970 he took my grandfathers demonstrator ( new car that we would eventually sell)Barracuda to Bonneville Raceway in Salt Lake City, Utah to the races without permission, the "legend" is that he beat 13 Ford Mustangs and won the championship trophy that night,This was discovered later that summer when our mother was cleaning his bedroom and found a huge trophy hidden under the bed from the track! as you can imagine he screwed the rest of his little brothers over from that stunt as we never got to drive a new car from the dealership when we were finally old enough to drive

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: peabodyracing] #506538
06/25/12 03:55 AM
06/25/12 03:55 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quote:

Mid 70's, Rochester, MN and I take young # 1 son out for a ride through town in my 56 Chevy with a hot 331 and 4 speed. He's probably 4 years old at the time. The 331 was out of the front engine dragster I'd run for a couple years so it was healthy enough.

Minding my own business, stopped at a red light and 2 kids in a Camaro pull up next to me and immediately start revving the engine, hollering at me to race. I'm trying to be a responsible parent and ignore them. #1 son yells 'race them Dad!' as the light changes. I unload the 56 and am making short work of beating them as we roar by two city squad cars parked in a 7-11 lot.

Before the cops are even out of the lot I've made a quick right turn, turned off the lights and made another turn into an alley heading back in the direction we'd come from. I managed to make it home driving alleys all the way back. Son kept asking me what I was doing. I kept saying "you can't tell Mom". Of course once we did get home you can imagine what the 1st thing that came out his mouth was. I got 'the look' and 'the lecture'.

Son talked about the experience for many months. I let him drive the same car for his high school prom when he was old enough. When he brought it back it was missing a front baby moon hubcap. Of course he had no idea how that happened.

I love stories like these. In '76, my daughter was barely a year old in the fall. She rode with her mom - who was a tomboy/gearhead - and me in a carseat strapped to the middle spot of the bench seat in front. There was no back seat in the car - a 1957 Chevy 150 2-door sedan, AKA business coupe. It had an uprated 327, a 4-speed and 4:11 gears.

So, we're all at a light on Brookside, one Saturday night, the light turns green, the guy in the next lane punches his '65 Malibu and the tires chirp. Little girl Jackie says her first complete sentence - "Go, Daddy, go!" First time I ever got "the look" from her mom.

I hopped on the '57, but was laughing so hard at her antics [the child's] that I missed 2nd gear and just let back out of it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good times.

7264642-41standPeoria.jpg (132 downloads)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506539
07/31/12 03:54 PM
07/31/12 03:54 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

if u street raced in the 60's/early 70's in nyc, it started and ended on south ave. in staten island...

You're forgetting "The Connecting", was the home of N.Y.C.'s premier "street racing" drag strip. And
lot of "old school" class/bracket racers in the NYC/west LI,NJ and CT, got their start at "The Fount" and 150th St (Conduit). Nothing against South Ave, since A LOT of "hard running" cars were
on the scene there!! But "The Fount" and 150th, were a drag racers "haven" a decade before the first Roadrunner was
built.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506540
07/31/12 05:25 PM
07/31/12 05:25 PM
new york
P
paris401 Offline
super stock
paris401  Offline
super stock
P

new york
Quote:

Quote:

if u street raced in the 60's/early 70's in nyc, it started and ended on south ave. in staten island...

You're forgetting "The Connecting", was the home of N.Y.C.'s premier "street racing" drag strip. And
lot of "old school" class/bracket racers in the NYC/west LI,NJ and CT, got their start at "The Fount" and 150th St (Conduit). Nothing against South Ave, since A LOT of "hard running" cars were
on the scene there!! But "The Fount" and 150th, were a drag racers "haven" a decade before the first Roadrunner was
built.

well i got my license in dec 68, so 'the fount' mite have been the place earlier, but for sheer volume of cars being driven/towed/flatbedded, nuthin touched south ave.. we used to cruise for big races to bkyln and queens and into bayonne/newark , and no doubt there were lots of em, but none of these spots had em lined up 30/40 cars in 2's awaiting their turn.. it was national speedway/e-town ...only better... and what do we have today... a 2.2L honda doing 8seconds with a fart pipe...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: paris401] #506541
07/31/12 07:59 PM
07/31/12 07:59 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

What year are you talking when it comes to South Ave? Maybe we passed ships during those nights if it was the 80's.
I used to be the head Flagman/Human Christmas tree over at South during the 80's. Not to boast, but yours truly would get applauded when entering that theater of operations. They all knew that I just wanted to keep it sane, safe movin' and fun. Yes it was crowded then and some times too crowded, but like mentioned above, nothing touched the Connecting and 150th St. for serious races. Nothing short of Pure Pro-stocks laid there rubber signatures on 150th. I saw it and heard it with my very own heart.
A certain Mopar got off on a few last races at Connecting not too long ago.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506542
07/31/12 08:05 PM
07/31/12 08:05 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

By the way, if rumors are begging to be true and Englishtown closes its gates, The economy at its current state, the rebellion in the air and funny money changing hands may just be the perfect storm to bring it all back.
I hope I am wrong, because a functioning facility like Englishtown being closed or the prospects of a new track like Long Island Motorsports raceway being shot down by Red tape will make for a certain songs title to ring true. "Here comes that sound again"

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506543
08/01/12 04:02 PM
08/01/12 04:02 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
And I thought this thread had died. Thanks guys and gals for sharing your stories and keep them coming.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506544
08/22/12 09:11 PM
08/22/12 09:11 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

By the way, if rumors are begging to be true and Englishtown closes its gates, The economy at its current state, the rebellion in the air and funny money changing hands may just be the perfect storm to bring it all back.
I hope I am wrong, because a functioning facility like Englishtown being closed or the prospects of a new track like Long Island Motorsports raceway being shot down by Red tape will make for a certain songs title to ring true. "Here comes that sound again"

Englishtown closing down - now there's a rumor set to shake up the East Coast. Personally, I don't see it happening, but the red tape "buero
cracy" on the old Calverton Naval airbase is killing the sport out on the Island. Truly, that site could have been the NEW Long Island National Dragstrip. But unfortunately we have to rely on innovation and old school savvy. Have to be a bit smarter (location wise), and pick runs without the panache and glamour. Sort the run out, line up, safe run, then DISSAPPER! Run smarter to race another day (night)! The days of giving breaks are over and the "gray bar" hotel (unlike Motel 6)does NOT keep the light on for you either!

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: paris401] #506545
08/22/12 09:27 PM
08/22/12 09:27 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

built.

well i got my license in dec 68, so 'the fount' mite have been the place earlier, but for sheer volume of cars being driven/towed/flatbedded, nuthin touched south ave.. we used to cruise for big races to bkyln and queens and into bayonne/newark , and no doubt there were lots of em, but none of these spots had em lined up 30/40 cars in 2's awaiting their turn.. it was national speedway/e-town ...only better... and what do we have today... a 2.2L honda doing 8seconds with a fart pipe...

Not knocking South Ave, since a lot of legendary class racers did run there. It was quite a show. But for the sheer "dragstrip" effect, "The Connecting" beats it hands down. The difference between the two spots is that South Ave had nearly ZERO population back then. The Connecting is a (major now, bypass back then) artery that was "controlled" for staged runs. When was the last time a fuel dragster made a pass on a "limited access public roadway"? So far, only on "The Connecting". The place has so much noteriety now, you can't stand on the streets above the site, ticketing is the norm now.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506546
08/23/12 08:41 AM
08/23/12 08:41 AM
new york
P
paris401 Offline
super stock
paris401  Offline
super stock
P

new york
Quote:

What year are you talking when it comes to South Ave? Maybe we passed ships during those nights if it was the 80's.
I used to be the head Flagman/Human Christmas tree over at South during the 80's. Not to boast, but yours truly would get applauded when entering that theater of operations. They all knew that I just wanted to keep it sane, safe movin' and fun. Yes it was crowded then and some times too crowded, but like mentioned above, nothing touched the Connecting and 150th St. for serious races. Nothing short of Pure Pro-stocks laid there rubber signatures on 150th. I saw it and heard it with my very own heart.

south ave was over after 71 (or thereabout)- the accident that killed those young girls at the end of the road (forrest ave) ended racing.. i think if u were there in the 80's, compared to 68/69/70, we are talkin apples and oranges... in 68/69/70... i'd pull up , park, and sit all nite on my beach chair watchin non-stop racing.. it was a glorius time

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: paris401] #506547
08/25/12 12:41 AM
08/25/12 12:41 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

south ave was over after 71 (or thereabout)- the accident that killed those young girls at the end of the road (forrest ave) ended racing.. i think if u were there in the 80's, compared to 68/69/70, we are talkin apples and oranges... in 68/69/70... i'd pull up , park, and sit all nite on my beach chair watchin non-stop racing.. it was a glorius time

FMJ, as I mentioned awhile back, is legendary. Back in the "late sixties/early seventies, South
Ave had NIL population so the police "ignored" the ongoings there due to being away from hi-volume interstate traffic at those times. It, indeed, was FUN times back then to run "freely", and NOT get stopped or hassled. The 80's, things
were a little different, where the "bold and brave" ran with persitence and scrutiny. That's due to the slightly more "serious" runners who put their worth where their mouths are, for bragging rights! And were willing to risk the chance of running on a major artery, for both the sheer enjoyment/bragging rights and for the winners, an "insured purse".

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506548
09/02/12 07:40 PM
09/02/12 07:40 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I figured I'd post this here as it relates to my old streetracing Pinto---- I located the car. After some footwork & calling around I was able to speak to the gentleman that now has my car. While it's a far cry from when I had it, he was good enough to send me some pics while it was under construction & he even offerd to sell it back to me! Unfortunately I don't have the cash but he he also sent some pics of the car as it sits now. As I said, it's a far cry from when I had it & he did a super job ungrading it. From what he tells me, it's a 10-sec. ride (not much quicker than when I had it) but would make a GREAT nostalgia P/S car. The point is--it's still around, still racing & still giving its owner a rush. I guess old hot rods really do serve a purpose..................

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: hemicop] #506549
09/02/12 08:55 PM
09/02/12 08:55 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
In the late 60's we had almost mile stretch of road NE 12th Ave in Ft Lauderdale in an unbuilt industrial area that was bordered by a canal (remember this)and railroad tracks. It also formed the boundary between Tt Lauderdale and Oakland Park, so it was kinda of a no man's land for enforcement. Don't know how or who, but someone put a white stripe starting line at the northend (remember this also) and finish line a 1/4mile south.

So sometime in late 69 when I was senior in HS, a dufus classmate's parents took a trip, leaving him alone, with their late model Lincoln suicide door multi ton monster, that likely took nearly a 1/4 mile to stop (last main point to remember .

While parents were gone he got a little drunk to say the least, took the parents car, lined up on the finish line heading north, and proceeded like a good boy to blow the carbon out in all 3 gears on the 1/4 mile. Well stopping was out of the question, car and him ended up in the canal after getting airborne probably for awhile at the finish line. He was lucky to swim ashore. The cops soon came upon the scene, found the submerged car, towed it out, but no body. So they proceeded to drag the canal for hours. The hungover duffus finally sobered up, returned to the scene and asked the cops if they found his car. They were more then annoyed. I don't remember him returning to school.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: jcc] #506550
09/02/12 09:24 PM
09/02/12 09:24 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I don't rememeber any guys I knew getting in that much trouble except for one guy that got booked into jail after being caught running on the Van Wyck Expwy. Even when we ( myself & a friend) ran his brother's Stage 1 Buick right past our H.S as it was letting out we never got caught as the car wasn't seen much since it was his brother's car. Funny thing about that was, the Buick impressed the Hell outta me & made me a believer in automatic trannys for musclecars. BTW, the car he ran against, and beat, was a brand new '71 Z/28. It's owner WAS pi@@#d!
Of course NYC was falling apart back then & the cops had better things to do than chase hotrodders around. Good thing too, as one of the better (?) streetracers I knew was a Housing Authority cop.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506551
09/09/12 12:10 AM
09/09/12 12:10 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

The "South" was jumpin' in the 80's.
Columbia St. was for those suicidal maniacs and their audience.
150th was the Vegas style Money pit.
The "Fount" was the recreational relapse arena for those seeking youth.
The "Hutch" was the hush hush 150th wanna-B.
The list goes on and on till the break of dawn.....

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506552
09/09/12 01:05 PM
09/09/12 01:05 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I'm sure every streetracing locale has a similiar story, but did anyone ever actually SEE the girl, usually at Connecting, who allegedly had on the back of her car : "If you can beat me, you can eat me!" and what this ficticious car actually was or ran? My sister's friend allegedly knew her but I never got any details.
It's funny how stories exist over time & how certain characters are rememebred. I was talking to a friend from back East last week & he rememebred a group of black guys coming to his local track up in Schenectady NY & how they had this beat up Dart that guys kept betting on or against & how the guy kept winning. Judging from the description of the car & guys it sounded like the Mutt Bros which was actually Ronnie Lyles & Co. that eventaully became a very well-known P/S race team. I found it all interesting as while my friend had heard of Ronnie, even back then, he had no idea what he was seeing.
That was the fun part of streetracing--there were some VERY good (eventually Pro) drivers back then that "cut their teeth" streetracing---they just won't admit it..........

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: hemicop] #506553
09/09/12 01:28 PM
09/09/12 01:28 PM
New York
J
jagrunt551 Offline
enthusiast
jagrunt551  Offline
enthusiast
J

New York
I saw a girl driving a Corvette in Lake George, NY back in the mid to late 60s with that saying on her plates. Never did race her but sure did see her. Oh the good old days!!!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: jagrunt551] #506554
09/09/12 02:06 PM
09/09/12 02:06 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I've heard it was a 'vette, Chevelle, Camaro, almost everything. You're the first guy that ever actually gave a car description. NOW-----how about the girl?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: hemicop] #506555
09/09/12 02:15 PM
09/09/12 02:15 PM
New York
J
jagrunt551 Offline
enthusiast
jagrunt551  Offline
enthusiast
J

New York
Hey I'm 63 years old!! I think I paid more attention to the car, but I'd almost have to say she had lighter hair. Back then Lake George was a car show every night and some great street racing. Girls were everywhere and the cars I guess interested me a little more until I came back from Vietnam, then I was always trying to make up for lost time. Had a 68 GTO which went quite well!! Saw a small sports type car in my rearview and thought I'd have some fun. Well he not only beat my butt, he was nice enough to stop and let me see the 427 COBRA up close.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: jagrunt551] #506556
09/09/12 02:40 PM
09/09/12 02:40 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
63? Maybe it's me, but a girl in a fast car with a sign like that & perhaps not too bad looking, I'd rememebr. I still remember my sister's friend who turned me onto cars. Given what I recall, if I had been her age, I'd have been going after her. Locally, back then my neighborhood had perhaps 8-10 cars that seriiously streetreced & as I recall ALL were 11-seconds or better. I recently found out (on another website) one of my favorite cars of the era was actually a COPO (ZL-1) Camaro badged as a Z/28. I could never figure out how that thing could beat a Hemi---now I know! I still rememeber the cars---'70 Hemi 'cuda, an A990 car, an L-88 'vette, my buddy's 390 Gremlin, several 396/375 Camaros & Novas & an aluminum-nosed Max-wedge car its owner always seemed to smash up every weekend--- and those were all within walking distance of my home. Like many here, I could go on about the neighborhood cars & how my friends ran our cars. But we were kind of the "lower level" of performance cars. Small-blocks, Pontiacs & the occassional Ford were more in our budget range. It wasn't until I droppeed out of college & got a job along with the gas crisis that I started playing with more serious stuff.
My first effort, a '67 427/435hp 'vette was alot of fun but expensive & when I replaced the engine with a ZL-1 spec'd big-block it was real easy to get & win races. Money races? Oh sure, there were a few but amongst our crowd it was mainly bragging rights. The Pinto was the real eye-catcher & did fairly well, as I mentioned, & it WOULD be fun to buy buy it back & go back to NY with it just to get some pics of the car & areas now versus back then. I think it'd probably be the only car that has survived.

Page 30 of 38 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 37 38