Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I can't beleive no one has mentioned it but if the plug boots zap you when you grab them YOU NEED NEW WIRES ! No amount of carb fidling alone will fix that.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: HotRodDave] #505252
10/24/09 04:13 PM
10/24/09 04:13 PM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
I was wondering the same thing! MOST of these issues are usually IGNITION related!

Definatley change plug and wires, then start over. Also, if you are trying to tune a car that has been so poorly performing all this time, you may have drenched your oil with gasoline to the point you never get a clean running car due to contamination of the oil. Very important.

Also, if you get the ignition squared away ( which is where you MUST start) then double check for vaccuum leaks as mentioned.

Another very possible potential problem ( not any way of knowing over a computer how bad things are truley on this engine) is you may have wiped a cam lobe. Hopefully not, but very possible from what you are mentioning, but start with those other things first. They wont cost you much money at least to try. Hell, borrow some wires and buy $8.00 worth of spark plugs first.

Good luck.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: sharpie] #505253
10/24/09 04:36 PM
10/24/09 04:36 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

You're giving up that easy? Heck it's not that expensive, all in you'll probably only spend $300.00 or so, and that's a reach.

You'd never believe it if you saw what I was paid annually, but I am having serious issues with money right now, and probably will continue for the next, oh, 19 years or so.

Then curb your spending.

You bought willwood disk swap setup instead of a stock swap, you bought an entire new gauge cluster insead of fixing the original.... (BTW you should list those items in your for sale ad)

Keep it simple and walk before you run.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: autoxcuda] #505254
10/24/09 08:38 PM
10/24/09 08:38 PM
san diego
JonsGottaDusta Offline
master
JonsGottaDusta  Offline
master

san diego
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're giving up that easy? Heck it's not that expensive, all in you'll probably only spend $300.00 or so, and that's a reach.

You'd never believe it if you saw what I was paid annually, but I am having serious issues with money right now, and probably will continue for the next, oh, 19 years or so.

Then curb your spending.

You bought willwood disk swap setup instead of a stock swap, you bought an entire new gauge cluster insead of fixing the original.... (BTW you should list those items in your for sale ad)

Keep it simple and walk before you run.

I have about a grand total of $1,900 into my '71 Plymouth Duster, including the purchase price.

Cheap: I did an original BBP disc brake swap, got a used LA 360/904mvb, rusty Hooker Comp headers I got for cheap and painted, Mopar_Ron helped me shorten a drive shaft for it, moved the pads in-board on a b-body 8-3/4 with a 3.91SG. Built my own exhaust with free mufflers, stole some wheels and tires from the garage. I have been unemployed since May on a Students budget. I do have similar Redline Gauges, but Shannon REALLY helped me out with them, cost me barely anything.

You need not give up so easily. Its a hard road, but you wanted an old car, RIGHT? I dropped my rusty gas tank and scrubbed the crap out of it with simple green, blew out the factory fuel-lines, and gave it a go. I did step up for the Holley 750DP and a modern master-cylinder from Andy_F, but that was it.

I have now put about 40 miles on my car, and have been working out the bugs slowly. Everywhere I go people complement on the "Plum Crazy" primer, and how great it is to see an old mopar. I pulled just about every part off this pile and rebuilt it, including the suspension, re-inforced k-frame, etc. You need to find ways to budget, and it'll keep you on the cheap.

- Jon

Last edited by JonsGottaDusta; 10/24/09 08:40 PM.
Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: sharpie] #505255
10/24/09 09:02 PM
10/24/09 09:02 PM
D
dulcich Offline
super stock
dulcich  Offline
super stock
D

Quote:

Alright, so I am going to cut my losses right now and sell it. I don't have the money for all of this anymore. I've already put too much into the car to begin with, and it's nowhere near where I want it.

Good thinking. Get rid of that heap for whatever you can get or it will soak you to the bone. It seems from your posts for the last year that you just are not cut out for this kind of project and are in way over your head. Don't feel like it is a personal failure, just unload it for whatever you can get and move on with life.
-dulcich

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: sharpie] #505256
10/24/09 09:26 PM
10/24/09 09:26 PM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
....another vote for wires and plugs.Because it was working good, I'd just put in new plugs first....maybe a little hotter....or they will foul again.........al

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: dulcich] #505257
10/24/09 09:29 PM
10/24/09 09:29 PM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Well said!

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: dulcich] #505258
10/25/09 02:34 AM
10/25/09 02:34 AM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
Quote:

Quote:

Alright, so I am going to cut my losses right now and sell it. I don't have the money for all of this anymore. I've already put too much into the car to begin with, and it's nowhere near where I want it.

Good thinking. Get rid of that heap for whatever you can get or it will soak you to the bone. It seems from your posts for the last year that you just are not cut out for this kind of project and are in way over your head. Don't feel like it is a personal failure, just unload it for whatever you can get and move on with life.
-dulcich

I will choose to take the high road with this post; I have no interest in picking it apart right now. Suffice it to say there's more to my life than my cars. Unfortunately, the other 95% of my life has taken a toll financially and mentally on my interest in my car.

I don't need to justify it to you, but I figured a small explanation might make it more clear.

edit: I also just want to add that not everyone has an I.V. of cash for their car.

Last edited by sharpie; 10/25/09 02:40 AM.
Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: sharpie] #505259
10/25/09 04:40 AM
10/25/09 04:40 AM
D
dulcich Offline
super stock
dulcich  Offline
super stock
D

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-dulcich

I will choose to take the high road with this post; I have no interest in picking it apart right now. Suffice it to say there's more to my life than my cars. Unfortunately, the other 95% of my life has taken a toll financially and mentally on my interest in my car.

I don't need to justify it to you, but I figured a small explanation might make it more clear.

edit: I also just want to add that not everyone has an I.V. of cash for their car.

Well then just let it go. You are not justifying it to me or anyone else on this board, you are really justifying it all to yourself anyway, but doing so in a public way. There's really no reason for that, because at the end of the day your only resposibility is to yourself, not your Mopar fantasy, or internet buddies.

If you can't get any personal satisfaction from this hobby, you're right, you are wasting your time and money. The real pain point here is just personal too, and that is your time, effort, money, and maybe ego wrapped in it all up till now.
-dulcich

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs *DELETED* [Re: sharpie] #505260
10/25/09 11:05 AM
10/25/09 11:05 AM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
Quote:

Post deleted by sharpie

also deleted the for sale ad?

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs [Re: VITC_GTX] #505261
10/25/09 07:06 PM
10/25/09 07:06 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Overpriced Housing Central
Sometimes you can't write comedy better than some of this stuff.

Possible rust in the tank and multiple carbs don't work... wonder why. Most fuel filters won't stop rust.

Probably something fairly simple to replace or fix.

Page 2 of 2 1 2