Moparts

Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs *DELETED*

Posted By: sharpie

Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs *DELETED* - 10/24/09 04:35 PM

Post deleted by sharpie
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 04:41 PM

Carb diagnosis without being there is next to impossible, but as a guess? I'd say you still have a fuel contamination issue somewhere.

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 04:43 PM

I don't know that this will fix your problem but if your filter was full of junk I would remove the tank, clean it out and blow out the lines. You might be getting garbage in your carb(s).
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 04:45 PM

I fought carb problems for months once, changed them out, rebuilt, etc. It turned out that the laser pickup im my malory ignition was dusty.

2 seconds with a q-tip fixed it.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 04:50 PM

May not be your problem, just going to "toss" it out there,.......sounds very similar to a "ghost" problem I onced chased, it was eventualy found to be very minute rust particles, unseen by the human eye that were clogging/gunking up the fuel system,....apon initial tank inspection the tank seemed clean,.....but condensation (from sitting) had formed fine rust particles on the ceiling of the gas tank, didn't find this until I had rebuilt the carb, replaced the pump, the fuel filter, replaced the fuel lines, etc, etc ,......finally after still having bouts of intermitten days of good and bad running, I finally installed a clear sight, smallest micron gas filter I could, then the rust started showing up on the screen, the rust, being so small, was more like a film, not particles, but none the less it was clogging the small passages of the carb,.....replaced the tank, flushed the system, never had a problem afterwards

Mike
Posted By: Racer413

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 04:52 PM

sounds like a vacuum leak. I'd guess the base gasket since you change the carb and it goes away for a bit. Maybe the mount flange on the manifold is warped. Try doubling the gaskets.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 04:58 PM

Quote:

I then found that the fuel filter was full of garbage, so I replaced it.

That old fuel filter that you replaced, how old was it? Did you ever replace it?

You bought this car non running, correct?

Have you unscrewed the gas tank sending unit and look inside? Are you sure it still has a tank "sock" (screen filter) on it?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 05:03 PM

take the carb off & flush it good w starting fluid & hang a container of clean gas above it like a bag of plasma in a hospital & now see if your OK
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 05:05 PM

It sounds like the fuel has trash in it, most likely rust or something stopping up the carbs, if it was ignition, it would most likely act the same with any carb, even a vacuum leak, i would check the fuel filter (cut it open) to see whats in it, there must be small particals getting through & stopping up the metering in the carbs, this will cause idle issues & stalling/hard starting.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 05:06 PM

Could fuel really be giving me intermittent problems like this?

The fuel filter I replaced was actually pretty new. I know some garbage is coming through the lines. Maybe it's time to clean the tank, because I haven't messed with any of that yet.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Could fuel really be giving me intermittent problems like this?

The fuel filter I replaced was actually pretty new. I know some garbage is coming through the lines. Maybe it's time to clean the tank, because I haven't messed with any of that yet.

Yes, yes.. The time is now.

If you can see a "bunch of garbage" in the little amount if miles you've put on that new fuel filter you need to follow the issue upstream. "some garbage" is too much garbage.

Do you have pictures of the fuel filter garbage you have in it now? How many miles on this second? filter?
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Carb diagnosis without being there is next to impossible, but as a guess? I'd say you still have a fuel contamination issue somewhere.

Sounds like the small passages are getting clogged in areas you can't clean easily during a carb rebuild. I have a junk brand new 600 Edelbrock a customer put on without a fuel filter because the previous carb "stopped working". When I pulled the tank tons of the most fossilized gas and crud I've ever seen came out. The bottom of the float bowls had a cement like substance that was impervious to a 48 hour carb cleaner soak. I suspect that same substance is inside the small passages I can't get to with a small wire and compressed air does not push it out.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 05:13 PM

I don't build a car without replacing the tank the lines and the pick up. 40 year old sludge builds up and breaks away slowly. I've cut solid looking lines only to have them crumple from rot.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 05:14 PM

Allot of these guys are giving you good advice. I make it a plan to replace the gas tank (or at least have it boiled and sealed which often costs more than a new tank) and most other fuel related wear items with just about any old car I buy, most of them will benifit from it because tank rust and varnish build up is so common and can easily cause ongoing fuel contamination headaches.

If I were you I'd start shopping for a new tank, sending unit, assosiated small rubber lines & clamps, a new filter, and flush the heck out of the new fuel pump and carb (I'd probably tear down the carb again to be sure it's clean) that will likely end your problems, and if it turns out to be something else it sure wouldn't hurt in the long run to do it anyway.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 06:00 PM

Alright, so I am going to cut my losses right now and sell it. I don't have the money for all of this anymore. I've already put too much into the car to begin with, and it's nowhere near where I want it.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 06:08 PM

You're giving up that easy? Heck it's not that expensive, all in you'll probably only spend $300.00 or so, and that's a reach.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 06:15 PM

Quote:

You're giving up that easy? Heck it's not that expensive, all in you'll probably only spend $300.00 or so, and that's a reach.

You'd never believe it if you saw what I was paid annually, but I am having serious issues with money right now, and probably will continue for the next, oh, 19 years or so.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 06:17 PM

Quote:

I saw new tanks a Fall Fling for $170 or so.

A raditor shop might clean it out for $50. A new sending unit pickup screen is under $10.

Fact is, if you want to sell it you have to get it running. The loss in selling it the way it's running now is more than $300.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 06:25 PM

Try taking the two air mixture screws out spraying some carb cleaner down inside them. Blow some compressed air into the holes if you can.

Find another carb to borrow that you know runs right. This way you can isolate if it's the carb or dirt in the fuel system. Find another member who lives close to help you sort it out if you have to.
Posted By: jrlegacy23

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 07:22 PM

It does sound like a large vaccuum leak. Check the back of the intake manifold. I put an intake manifold on a small block one time and there was a space on the rear between the manifold and block. I did not notice it at first because when I first put the manifold on, in ran like a raped ape. About a week later it was acting exactly as you stated above. I replaced the car with one I knew was good and same thing. The firewall did not give access to see it. It was on a derby car (5th ave). When I cut the firewall out from the inside to make clearance for the dist, I could see it plain as day, part of the intake manifold gasket was missing. It was only a derby car so I wadded some RTV in there rather than replacing the intake gasket, problem solved. I am not saying this is the corresct way, but check the intake manifold gaskets. Don't over look the cheap fix.
Good Luck
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 08:01 PM

I can't beleive no one has mentioned it but if the plug boots zap you when you grab them YOU NEED NEW WIRES ! No amount of carb fidling alone will fix that.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 08:13 PM

I was wondering the same thing! MOST of these issues are usually IGNITION related!

Definatley change plug and wires, then start over. Also, if you are trying to tune a car that has been so poorly performing all this time, you may have drenched your oil with gasoline to the point you never get a clean running car due to contamination of the oil. Very important.

Also, if you get the ignition squared away ( which is where you MUST start) then double check for vaccuum leaks as mentioned.

Another very possible potential problem ( not any way of knowing over a computer how bad things are truley on this engine) is you may have wiped a cam lobe. Hopefully not, but very possible from what you are mentioning, but start with those other things first. They wont cost you much money at least to try. Hell, borrow some wires and buy $8.00 worth of spark plugs first.

Good luck.

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/24/09 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You'd never believe it if you saw what I was paid annually, but I am having serious issues with money right now, and probably will continue for the next, oh, 19 years or so.

Then curb your spending.

You bought willwood disk swap setup instead of a stock swap, you bought an entire new gauge cluster insead of fixing the original.... (BTW you should list those items in your for sale ad)

Keep it simple and walk before you run.
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/25/09 12:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then curb your spending.

You bought willwood disk swap setup instead of a stock swap, you bought an entire new gauge cluster insead of fixing the original.... (BTW you should list those items in your for sale ad)

Keep it simple and walk before you run.

I have about a grand total of $1,900 into my '71 Plymouth Duster, including the purchase price.

Cheap: I did an original BBP disc brake swap, got a used LA 360/904mvb, rusty Hooker Comp headers I got for cheap and painted, Mopar_Ron helped me shorten a drive shaft for it, moved the pads in-board on a b-body 8-3/4 with a 3.91SG. Built my own exhaust with free mufflers, stole some wheels and tires from the garage. I have been unemployed since May on a Students budget. I do have similar Redline Gauges, but Shannon REALLY helped me out with them, cost me barely anything.

You need not give up so easily. Its a hard road, but you wanted an old car, RIGHT? I dropped my rusty gas tank and scrubbed the crap out of it with simple green, blew out the factory fuel-lines, and gave it a go. I did step up for the Holley 750DP and a modern master-cylinder from Andy_F, but that was it.

I have now put about 40 miles on my car, and have been working out the bugs slowly. Everywhere I go people complement on the "Plum Crazy" primer, and how great it is to see an old mopar. I pulled just about every part off this pile and rebuilt it, including the suspension, re-inforced k-frame, etc. You need to find ways to budget, and it'll keep you on the cheap.

- Jon
Posted By: dulcich

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/25/09 01:02 AM

Quote:

Alright, so I am going to cut my losses right now and sell it. I don't have the money for all of this anymore. I've already put too much into the car to begin with, and it's nowhere near where I want it.

Good thinking. Get rid of that heap for whatever you can get or it will soak you to the bone. It seems from your posts for the last year that you just are not cut out for this kind of project and are in way over your head. Don't feel like it is a personal failure, just unload it for whatever you can get and move on with life.
-dulcich
Posted By: can.al

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/25/09 01:26 AM

....another vote for wires and plugs.Because it was working good, I'd just put in new plugs first....maybe a little hotter....or they will foul again.........al
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/25/09 01:29 AM

Well said!

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/25/09 06:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good thinking. Get rid of that heap for whatever you can get or it will soak you to the bone. It seems from your posts for the last year that you just are not cut out for this kind of project and are in way over your head. Don't feel like it is a personal failure, just unload it for whatever you can get and move on with life.
-dulcich

I will choose to take the high road with this post; I have no interest in picking it apart right now. Suffice it to say there's more to my life than my cars. Unfortunately, the other 95% of my life has taken a toll financially and mentally on my interest in my car.

I don't need to justify it to you, but I figured a small explanation might make it more clear.

edit: I also just want to add that not everyone has an I.V. of cash for their car.
Posted By: dulcich

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/25/09 08:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-dulcich

I will choose to take the high road with this post; I have no interest in picking it apart right now. Suffice it to say there's more to my life than my cars. Unfortunately, the other 95% of my life has taken a toll financially and mentally on my interest in my car.

I don't need to justify it to you, but I figured a small explanation might make it more clear.

edit: I also just want to add that not everyone has an I.V. of cash for their car.

Well then just let it go. You are not justifying it to me or anyone else on this board, you are really justifying it all to yourself anyway, but doing so in a public way. There's really no reason for that, because at the end of the day your only resposibility is to yourself, not your Mopar fantasy, or internet buddies.

If you can't get any personal satisfaction from this hobby, you're right, you are wasting your time and money. The real pain point here is just personal too, and that is your time, effort, money, and maybe ego wrapped in it all up till now.
-dulcich
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs *DELETED* - 10/25/09 03:05 PM

Quote:

Post deleted by sharpie

also deleted the for sale ad?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Alright, I'm at a loss - my engine's killing carbs - 10/25/09 11:06 PM

Sometimes you can't write comedy better than some of this stuff.

Possible rust in the tank and multiple carbs don't work... wonder why. Most fuel filters won't stop rust.

Probably something fairly simple to replace or fix.
© 2024 Moparts Forums