10/21/09 01:10 PM
10/21/09 01:10 PM
Borden, Indiana, U.S.A.
W
wrenchinrandy Offline OP
wrenchinrandy  Offline OP
W

Borden, Indiana, U.S.A.
I am curious if anyone has any experience with Evans NPG+ in their Mopar. The info that I have read all seems to make sense, but I question whether the sources are unbiased. The stuff is very expensive and not easy to find. On the other hand, if it is true to its' claims it seems like some amazing stuff. Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

Re: Is anyone using Evans coolant? [Re: wrenchinrandy] #502833
10/21/09 04:32 PM
10/21/09 04:32 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

I am curious if anyone has any experience with Evans NPG+ in their Mopar. The info that I have read all seems to make sense, but I question whether the sources are unbiased. The stuff is very expensive and not easy to find. On the other hand, if it is true to its' claims it seems like some amazing stuff. Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

I use it in my Challenger and my SC Cobra replica. I really like it but you should have a bit of extra cooling capacity as it does not transfer heat quite as well as conventional coolant mixed with water. It does greatly reduce hotspots and completely eliminates electrolysis related metal transfer.

Re: Is anyone using Evans coolant? [Re: BobR] #502834
10/21/09 04:44 PM
10/21/09 04:44 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Online content
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Online Content
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

I use it in my Challenger and my SC Cobra replica. I really like it but you should have a bit of extra cooling capacity as it does not transfer heat quite as well as conventional coolant mixed with water. It does greatly reduce hotspots and completely eliminates electrolysis related metal transfer.

It doesn't transfer heat as well as water+coolant? Straight water will transfer heat better than water+coolant.

Did your temperatures go down after Evans? Was there an issue you had that went away or was reduced?

Re: Is anyone using Evans coolant? [Re: BobR] #502835
10/21/09 05:36 PM
10/21/09 05:36 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

Evans makes no claims as to better heat transfer, the main reason for using it is to prevent boiling at temperatures well above the temperature that other coolants boil even with high pressure caps.

I've been tempted to use in in one of my non-Mopar cars that has a cooling problem but I'm worried about what the elevated temperature will do to the oil; IOW, the Evans coolant might handle temperatures well in excess of 300°F but will the oil without an external cooler?

Also their literature states that any residual non-Evans coolant will reduce the effectiveness of their product so there's the hassle of trying to purge an existing system of all its coolant.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Is anyone using Evans coolant? [Re: BobR] #502836
10/22/09 01:45 AM
10/22/09 01:45 AM
California
mickm Offline
master
mickm  Offline
master

California
Quote:

not transfer heat quite as well as conventional coolant mixed with water. It does greatly reduce hotspots and completely eliminates electrolysis related metal transfer.

funny that this thread is up.

i saw a guy tonight at the local gathering with a cobra replica, 427 windsor, and he is running the stuff. he was showing how at 110 celsius, (his gauge is celsius), 230 F, you could take the cap off the radiator. so it was under no pressure even at 230 F.

he loves the stuff and swears by it. no rusting or corrosion of internal parts, especially bolts that go through water jackets, etc...

Re: Is anyone using Evans coolant? [Re: wrenchinrandy] #502837
10/22/09 10:12 AM
10/22/09 10:12 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
I have had the original Evans NPG in 1995 Magnum 5.9V8 since about year 2000. This is not the new plus version.

My main interest was whether it reduced pinging, as the Evans advertising claims.

On the that account: no pinging change on 87 octane I could detect.

But the NPG has not caused any real problems for me compared to either ethylene glycol, water or the typical 'Sierra' propylene glycol anti-freeze formulations.

In winter time I can tell that when the engine is 'dead cold' the NPG fluid is sluggish and the coolant temperature will go up to the 220 F degrees level unless I 'goose' the throttle for 5 to 10 seconds.

I am presently running a 180 degree thermostat, but have tried 205 F and 195 (stock) thermostats with the NPG coolant.

I did partially block the coolant bypass passage on my engine by inserting a three-eights square drive 17 mm chrome plated socket into the little hose.

I have run several months in winter with the fan blades un-bolted from my viscous clutch, and I guess the NPG coolant bolstered my courage to first try this.

Without the fan blades, if you let the engine idle for long periods at a stop, the coolant temperature gauge will go up to the 260 to 270 F range with no apparent problems whatsoever.. in fact the engine smooths out noticeably as the coolant temperature goes up.

If you read the Evans tech articles they claim a ex-Ford engineer is running his engine with NPG coolant at 300 F and gets a MPG benefit.

All in all,
I don't think I would again pay the $25 per gallon for the six gallons I bought.

Re: Is anyone using Evans coolant? [Re: 360view] #502838
10/22/09 10:50 AM
10/22/09 10:50 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
There is no way in the world I'd let me engine run above 230*. Higher than that and the oil starts to turn to water and things get too tight. That's just asking for a big bang in the block.