jim sciortino Offline OP
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline OP
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
With hydraulic rollers???

Never used one..only solid rollers.

Is there a substantial rpm advantage over regular juice lifters and how reliable are they in say a 6500rpm 700hp pumpgas build???

Are there any issues (machine work) using them in a big block???

Who makes the good ones???

Thanks in advance.

Re: Whats The Real Deal??? [Re: jim sciortino] #498235
10/16/09 09:18 PM
10/16/09 09:18 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
I've done a fair amount of SB's with hyd rollers with great success, but all were ran with Crane Hyd rollers.... ran quiet, would all run good to ~ 6500 RPM.....Never pushed them harder than that.

Then I built BB for my daily driver Road Runner..... First tried Comp Retro fit HYD rollers... They fit fine, you don't have to do anything to get them in motor, just drop in.... They were noisy as hell, no matter where I set preload, & I had 1 that physically would not pump up no matter what..... sent them back & put a set of Scorpion's in it... they were quieter somewhat, but were not preload sensitive either, did'nt matter where I set it, from 1/8 turn to full turn, they sounded same, very loud.... Those would go 6500 no problems.... 6700 It would pop pushrods out... I'm running mild ramp profile street Hyd roller 242/246 @ .050" .590" lift, was running 165 seat pressure 370 open.....

Got sick of the noise, & the pushrod issue if slightly over-revved it, also was having some plungers sticking still, & put set of Dug Herbert solid rollers on it (still on the Billet Hyd roller cam) Set lash to .002" cold, .006" hot & it is very quiet (WAY quieter than the 2 sets of Hyd rollers) & now I run to 7K with no worries.... With the mild spring pressure & ramp profile I figure the roller wheel/axles/bearings will live just as long in these solids as a set of Hyd's. I plan on swapping out the lifters every spring for a new set (they're only $270) for insurance, but so far I've got couple thousand miles ~ 25 passes on them & no problems.

I wish I could have gotten a set of Cranes for mine.... I posted about my lifter issues with the Comps when I first started running them & a bunch of people replied that they had ran into similar issues with the Comp BB Hyd Rollers & pumping up/bleeding off issues & plungers sticking. You could literally stand in front of my motor after I shut it off & listen for a few minutes you'd hear the plungers unsticking in the lifters & go "snap" Such junk.....

My car picked up roughly 2 MPH going from the Hyd rollers to Solid on same cam....That's how unhappy the Hyd roller lifters were.... After lashing it for hundredth time I just said, you know what, if I had put solid rollers in it, I'd have to lash it once & forget about it... & that's what I did. Much much happier with the SR's Everyone who has rode in it, is amazed @ how much quieter it is now with solids instead of either set of HR's

Re: Whats The Real Deal??? [Re: RyanJ] #498236
10/17/09 01:06 PM
10/17/09 01:06 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline OP
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline OP
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Thanks Ryan.