Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Thumperdart] #492335
10/10/09 10:56 AM
10/10/09 10:56 AM
Oklahoma
silverfish Offline
super stock
silverfish  Offline
super stock

Oklahoma
This is definitely a great post Ted. I don't post a lot on here unless there is a subject that I do know about and I can be of assistance on it. Thats few and far between though. What I have always loved about this site is that if I do need some help with something there is always a ton of guys that are willing to jump in and try to help me out. I also know of several guys that have quit posting here though because of the arguements and things of that nature. Its sad to lose their input. But make no mistake, most of them are still here they are just reading instead of posting. There have been lots of times I have posted a technical question here and gotten my best help from a PM from one of these guys. They are still willing to help out they just do it in private. That shows you just how great of a person they are. They don't help you so they can get recognition or glory. They help you because they care about other racers and they've been on the other side before. That speaks volumes for their character! It would be nice if they could go back to sharing their knowledge in public though so that more people could benefit from it. But until certain people start acting like adults instead of 2nd graders this can't happen!

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: silverfish] #492336
10/10/09 10:58 AM
10/10/09 10:58 AM
wisconSIN
B
Blown61 Offline
pro stock
Blown61  Offline
pro stock
B

wisconSIN
Wheres elvis?

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Blown61] #492337
10/10/09 11:20 AM
10/10/09 11:20 AM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
You have to be thick-skinned to maintain your composure on here sometimes. Having raised two sons who are now both bigger than me, I have learned to use diplomacy and psychology instead of anger and violence.

My experience has taught me to recognize that many of the posters here are young guys 17-25 years old who think they already know everything there is to know, even if they have never changed the points in a distributor before.

I would encourage the knowledgeable engine builders, fabricators, and racers to continue to reply to legitimate questions, just ignore the squirrels that scamper across the lawn.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: cgall] #492338
10/10/09 11:29 AM
10/10/09 11:29 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

My experience has taught me to recognize that many of the posters here are young guys 17-25 years old who think they already know everything there is to know, even if they have never changed the points in a distributor before.

I used to think I knew a lot until I started reading threads on here.

I have changed points though.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: cgall] #492339
10/10/09 11:33 AM
10/10/09 11:33 AM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
Great advice.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: slantzilla] #492340
10/10/09 11:35 AM
10/10/09 11:35 AM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
keeping this section stricly on dry technical reading....doesnt apeeal to me...at all.
i can get that from any good tech book...
tech is just that tech.
we arent building cookie cutter widgets here..
so rarely are two combo's exactly the same.
its the human feed back..and real world input/output that makes forums like this truely great..
i also find it more enjoyable that way.
the soap opera parts i just personally edit out.
or steer around..
its not that hard to do. really....
plus its way better than the old options we used to have...magazines and print media..
we all just need to learn to keep our "filters" on when we use the net.. ...so to speek..
its the P/C mentality.that creates the thin skin......
. My grandfather used to tell me..."I like stew with real chunks of meat and veggies and the more the better...it puts meat on your bones.
the other stuff is just hot water"
cheers
cheapst

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #492341
10/10/09 12:25 PM
10/10/09 12:25 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

keeping this section stricly on dry technical reading....doesnt apeeal to me...at all.
i can get that from any good tech book...
tech is just that tech.
we arent building cookie cutter widgets here..
so rarely are two combo's exactly the same.
its the human feed back..and real world input/output that makes forums like this truely great..
i also find it more enjoyable that way.
the soap opera parts i just personally edit out.
or steer around..
its not that hard to do. really....
plus its way better than the old options we used to have...magazines and print media..
we all just need to learn to keep our "filters" on when we use the net.. ...so to speek..
its the P/C mentality.that creates the thin skin......
. My grandfather used to tell me..."I like stew with real chunks of meat and veggies and the more the better...it puts meat on your bones.
the other stuff is just hot water"
cheers
cheapst

Annecdotal reports are the most fun thing about this site..or any site for enthusiasts. That combined with expert advice is what makes this site rock. For that reason it is the envy of most other moparts wannabes, IMHO.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: slantzilla] #492342
10/10/09 01:23 PM
10/10/09 01:23 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
O
Old School Offline
super stock
Old School  Offline
super stock
O

Virginia Beach, VA
what are points?

68 cuda formula S 588" bb 5sp
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (SUBLIME)
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (PLUMCRAZY):TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Old School] #492343
10/10/09 01:25 PM
10/10/09 01:25 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

what are points?

they set way up high and firm thought everybody knew that.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Quicktree] #492344
10/10/09 01:35 PM
10/10/09 01:35 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Hmmmm..Well I do not contribute to many tech questions anymore for a lot of reasons. Some stated and some not. I appreciate the input from EVERYONE whenever I post a question and I listen to all of it, and we makes changes accordingly and see what the results net us. Usually we find someting good and go from there.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Quicktree] #492345
10/10/09 01:47 PM
10/10/09 01:47 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
O
Old School Offline
super stock
Old School  Offline
super stock
O

Virginia Beach, VA
Quote:

Quote:

what are points?

they set way up high and firm thought everybody knew that.

well i must need to change mine then.i think they are wore out.not so high or firm anymore....

68 cuda formula S 588" bb 5sp
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (SUBLIME)
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (PLUMCRAZY):TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Old School] #492346
10/13/09 02:08 AM
10/13/09 02:08 AM
Wellington, Ohio (20 minutes f...
MrMoparRacing Offline
MrMoparRacing  Offline

Wellington, Ohio (20 minutes f...
When I need info I call my engine man! Luckily me engine builder just happens to be Scott Koffel so I know that I will always get an answer that I can trust!

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: MrMoparRacing] #492347
10/13/09 08:49 AM
10/13/09 08:49 AM
Peoples republic of clackamas ...
A
atoetly Offline
pro stock
atoetly  Offline
pro stock
A

Peoples republic of clackamas ...
Does this mean I can still run my solid lifter dinosaur cam without being called an idiot? And my scamp has a points type distributor that needs thrown away.

5542350-finally.jpg (56 downloads)
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Monte_Smith] #492348
10/13/09 09:17 AM
10/13/09 09:17 AM
in a chair
mopartony Offline
master
mopartony  Offline
master

in a chair
Quote:

Two good posts here, that reflect the impressions of many. Nobody knows it all, but there are some here, who TRULY know a lot, and many here, who THINK they know a lot. Posting here can be difficult at times, as some just take every opportunity to jump on and argue, whether they are correct or not. Knowledgeable people get tired of defending themselves and just eventually quit posting, or cut way back. Most don't take it personally, but it does get old, so whats the point.

Monte

thanks Monte for this post. You got into words what I could not.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: mopartony] #492349
10/13/09 10:27 AM
10/13/09 10:27 AM
Oklahoma
silverfish Offline
super stock
silverfish  Offline
super stock

Oklahoma
I think some people are taking this way out of context. Nobody is saying you can't joke around and get a little off subject here and there. But bickering and taking jabs at someone like a 2nd grader is just ridiculous. I believe that is what the biggest problem is. I'm as thick skinned as anyone out there. I don't care what anyone thinks of me but I'm not gonna get in an elementary argument with someone that just wants to argue for the hell of it. Its not a problem of being offended or getting hurt feelings. Its a problem with most of us don't have time for the bullshit!

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: silverfish] #492350
10/13/09 11:38 AM
10/13/09 11:38 AM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
Fact is I spend a bunch of time on the computer, more than I should...It has been this way since the Windows 98 platform came out LOL.
I post what I feel will help, 99% of the time someone has already posted the same thing...So I know i am on the right track as some. I try to either add or clarify on the points trying to be made. If I am the first poster reply, I post what info what I feel is needed good or bad.
Some people dont care to much for people telling them what to do, or how to approach the problem... They dont take criticism very well...

Why bother to post, knowing your going to do what you want to anyhow.
Hey
If someone has a better way or a better idea on how to make my car go faster..Im all ears.
And if anyone disagrees with your or my suggestion...well there isn't much you can do, so why argue and look like fools.
I have learned a bunch from this web site over the years.
I know there is certain members that hasnt ever been down the drag strip, and has never actually built or raced a 10,9,8,or 7 second car..But they sure can tell one how to race i,t build it, and adjust it.
These group of guys are awesome in there own mind, and rule the world of keyboard racers.
I personally have been deep 7's with my home built junk..and when I say home built I mean completely assembled here at home...From the trans to the rear end narrowing, engine etc. The current car will be the the 4th race car assembled and raced at the Coomer House Hold in the last 7 years.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: silverfish] #492351
10/13/09 11:45 AM
10/13/09 11:45 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

I think some people are taking this way out of context. Nobody is saying you can't joke around and get a little off subject here and there. But bickering and taking jabs at someone like a 2nd grader is just ridiculous. I believe that is what the biggest problem is. I'm as thick skinned as anyone out there. I don't care what anyone thinks of me but I'm not gonna get in an elementary argument with someone that just wants to argue for the hell of it. Its not a problem of being offended or getting hurt feelings. Its a problem with most of us don't have time for the bullshit!

I think there are some very good people that offer help here,there are some that add a little humor and sometimes a little friendly banter back and forth.It's definately not boring.It's when some want to argue,belittle, and demean others,that it becomes an issue of disrespect and a display of ignorance.That part is unnecessary and serves no purpose.This site doesn't have to be strait laced,we can enjoy each others opinions,knowledge and humor with out being offensive.I always enjoy post from guys like HemiFred and Wild Bill and others that add color and interest to their response and enjoy their post.Even Boomer in his own twisted humor is entertaining.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: mopartony] #492352
10/13/09 11:57 AM
10/13/09 11:57 AM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
I agree.

Several people on this board don't know as much as they think.

They get overly defensive when someone offers differing advice, no matter how sound that advice is.

These guys even start "humorous" threads to ridicule those who offer differing advice. This does not contribute any technical content to the race board.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3