10/09/09 11:09 AM
10/09/09 11:09 AM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline OP
master
Diego_Ted  Offline OP
master

Diego-Town, CA
In response to the different opinions in Al’s Turd post, I wanted to express this because it really got me thinking. I agree with Al. There is a very large group on here who really know their stuff, mostly from experience and trial and error. Billy, Al, Wayne, Dram and OU8 immediately come to mind, but are only a handful of great racers, wrenchers and tuners that are part of UNLAWFUL. You are the guys that racers, like myself, look to for advice and guidance. So to all of you, please do not take personal any rebuttal another member makes. Racers have achieved great results, many by utilizing unconventional methods and two entirely different paths may have achieved the same result, be it good or bad.

In this day of the WEB, because without seeing facial expressions, tone of voice, etc., etc., one cannot really discern the context of the comment one gives while banging on a keyboard. When one types, they type to get an idea or thought across and sometimes some of that gets lost in the process. So PLEASE give one another the benefit of the doubt, take it all with a grain of salt, get clarification before flying off the deep end. I for one, and I am sure I speak for many of the new racers, would really hate to lose anymore great mentors due to pride, ego and mostly a misunderstanding.

Diego

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492296
10/09/09 11:45 AM
10/09/09 11:45 AM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
Excellent post Ted. I for one dont post too much anymore for some of these reasons you mention. I can guarantee you I have quite a bit of knowledge in drag racing, but sometimes you get sick of arguing with people that just dont want to listen. I also agree there can be more than one way to achieve a result. It seems to be an almost "automatic" response by many on here to argue, complain, attack, belittle and so forth any comment that they dont agree ( and more often probably dont understand) with. Its the exchange of knowledge that makes a site like this worthwhile. Its a fool who speaks first and listens second I have a saying I use all the time...." Listen to what I am not telling you". You think about that, and it may start to make some sense. Its not the information that everyone blats out, its the information that people DONT speak about that is often important. That is typically where the answers are.

I know many of the builders and shops on here both past and present, as well as many of the racers. Believe me when I tell you, there is a LOT of information that doesnt get posted, as well as a lot of MIS information that doesnt get corrected. The true professionals rarely comment. They are sick of fighting over trivial items. They are also exhausted from talking to members for hours and hours on the phones, hours and hours of typed emails, only to have the person go buy their parts from some "discounter" on Ebay, or some wholesaler who cant even begin to answer their questions due to lack of experience or real world data. Members should keep that in mind when making their purchases. Deal with the folks that help you out, and maybe forget about saving $2.00 on shipping. Just my experience and observations. It happened to me all the time and I too finally gave up. Its a different perspective I guess, that I wish some would consider.

There are a handful of "racers" on here that just like to hear themselves talk about how fast they are, how good they are, how fast they are going to go ( typically only posting their -800' DA runs) etc etc and seem to only be concerned with their own achievements.I realize we can choose to read their comments or not, and I am one that doesnt waste my time anymore reading their internet garbage. They need their own sites to attack each other on. I would prefer that the forum contains real tech information, like I think it was meant to be. To watch these guys argue back and forth about who is going to beat who ( but they never for some reason ever seem to be at the same race...lol) is useless.

You typically notice the racers that are really achieving something rarely post anything. They are busy getting better, racing real races, going rounds etc. I feel bad for the people that truely do come on to try and fix or solve a problem, learn something new and get advice from the seasoned veterans that DO have soething to add.
Typically they get over run and self imposed experts run them off.

There are some very good racers on here with some experience but I think they just dont care to comment, only to end up getting attacked or challenged about everything they say.

Again, I think your post and comments are right on. Good advice for all to consider.

My

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #492297
10/09/09 11:54 AM
10/09/09 11:54 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Two good posts here, that reflect the impressions of many. Nobody knows it all, but there are some here, who TRULY know a lot, and many here, who THINK they know a lot. Posting here can be difficult at times, as some just take every opportunity to jump on and argue, whether they are correct or not. Knowledgeable people get tired of defending themselves and just eventually quit posting, or cut way back. Most don't take it personally, but it does get old, so whats the point.

Monte

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492298
10/09/09 12:11 PM
10/09/09 12:11 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Here Here.... I have backed off quite a bit due to certain "ego heads" and threats(which I don`t take lightly) but agree that we need to weed out that crap and brush it off. I have learned tons on here about cars and about life and how to get along with others even if I don`t like what I hear. CHEERS....

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Thumperdart] #492299
10/09/09 12:34 PM
10/09/09 12:34 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
Is it really that big of a deal.... really I mean c'mon!

I love reading the argumentaive posts on whos's right or wrong as it gives more insight into both side of things..... There are always gonna be disagreements on here

Mopar Performance
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: moparniac] #492300
10/09/09 12:41 PM
10/09/09 12:41 PM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
I, for one, find this thread personally offensive!

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: moparniac] #492301
10/09/09 12:42 PM
10/09/09 12:42 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
It's a big enough deal that this was posted. I can tell you there are many very sharp guys that dont post here anymore. There's a difference between a Jerry Springer environment and the History Channel content. I go elsewhere because of it. And I'm not a business. If you want to beat your chests and watch fights, go to the General Section and play with the penguins.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: moper] #492302
10/09/09 12:46 PM
10/09/09 12:46 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
Quote:

If you want to beat your chests and watch fights, go to the General Section and play with the penguins.

Or Trashed or Be Trashed on yellowbullet!

The fighting to me comes from the "bigshots" going back n forth I for one enjoy listening to both sides..... If you take a post offensive YOUR the problem....

Mopar Performance
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: moparniac] #492303
10/09/09 01:01 PM
10/09/09 01:01 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
wow..and its not even winter yet...

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #492304
10/09/09 02:00 PM
10/09/09 02:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I know many of the builders and shops on here both past and present, as well as many of the racers. Believe me when I tell you, there is a LOT of information that doesnt get posted, as well as a lot of MIS information that doesnt get corrected. The true professionals rarely comment. They are sick of fighting over trivial items. They are also exhausted from talking to members for hours and hours on the phones, hours and hours of typed emails, only to have the person go buy their parts from some "discounter" on Ebay, or some wholesaler who cant even begin to answer their questions due to lack of experience or real world data. Members should keep that in mind when making their purchases. Deal with the folks that help you out, and maybe forget about saving $2.00 on shipping. Just my experience and observations. It happened to me all the time and I too finally gave up. Its a different perspective I guess, that I wish some would consider.

i think i fall into this category. there's a lot of misinformation thrown out there on this site, probably for a number of reasons. i used to post on a lot of those threads, but it seems like all it did was cause more problems and waste a lot of time. sometimes people don't know how to "receive", only how to talk. i don't know everything and i'm not afraid to admit it, but with over 30 years of building racing engines, i do know alittle bit.
there's also a lot of great information sharing at times, and i soak up what i can when i have the time to really go through each thread topic.
i spend a great deal of time answering questions and quoting prices via PM and e-mail, yet i would estimate that less than 2% of my business actually comes from Moparts members. as was metioned, too often people just want the information on what to buy so they can find the absolute lowest price on parts or shipping. times are tough for everybody, but i wish some of the folks who call me at 9:00 p.m. for advice would realize i need to make a living too. our prices are very competitive but i've lost sales over less than 5 bucks numerous times. go figure. i guess the 45 minutes i spent on the phone or answering the numerous PM's isn't worth anything, not even a couple of bucks.
finally, we've all seen the number of very knowledgeable people stop posting over the years. i've seen a bunch of them get attacked for simply posting the truth about certain topics. i've been an example of that myself. so what it comes down to is, why bother to set yourself up.
i'd love to see some of those guys come back, but i'm not going to hold my breath.
i know if Gary was still with us, a lot of the garbage that gets posted would get moved out of the race forum very quickly. no need to cite examples, you know what i'm talking about. that stuff is fine for other sites and i wish that's where it would go.
there's plenty more i'd like to say, but in the end all i'd do is upset some folks. i guess there's no need to go down that road.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492305
10/09/09 02:05 PM
10/09/09 02:05 PM
ky
68roadrunner Offline
super stock
68roadrunner  Offline
super stock

ky
Quote:

In response to the different opinions in Al’s Turd post, I wanted to express this because it really got me thinking. I agree with Al. There is a very large group on here who really know their stuff, mostly from experience and trial and error. Billy, Al, Wayne, Dram and OU8 immediately come to mind, but are only a handful of great racers, wrenchers and tuners that are part of UNLAWFUL. You are the guys that racers, like myself, look to for advice and guidance. So to all of you, please do not take personal any rebuttal another member makes. Racers have achieved great results, many by utilizing unconventional methods and two entirely different paths may have achieved the same result, be it good or bad.

In this day of the WEB, because without seeing facial expressions, tone of voice, etc., etc., one cannot really discern the context of the comment one gives while banging on a keyboard. When one types, they type to get an idea or thought across and sometimes some of that gets lost in the process. So PLEASE give one another the benefit of the doubt, take it all with a grain of salt, get clarification before flying off the deep end. I for one, and I am sure I speak for many of the new racers, would really hate to lose anymore great mentors due to pride, ego and mostly a misunderstanding.

Diego

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492306
10/09/09 02:54 PM
10/09/09 02:54 PM
Missouri
StrokerPost Offline
master
StrokerPost  Offline
master

Missouri
Quote:

In this day of the WEB, because without seeing facial expressions, tone of voice, etc., etc., one cannot really discern the context of the comment one gives while banging on a keyboard. When one types, they type to get an idea or thought across and sometimes some of that gets lost in the process. So PLEASE give one another the benefit of the doubt, take it all with a grain of salt, get clarification before flying off the deep end.

This is the most perfectly stated observation I've seen in a LOOOONG time. I've said this many times, both here and even with my family in dealings with friends via email. Even with people you know well, sometimes the REAL meaning of a statement can get lost in a typed communication, so definately talk with people before you allow yourself to be offended. Thanks Ted.
Ken.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: StrokerPost] #492307
10/09/09 03:18 PM
10/09/09 03:18 PM
Rowlett, TX
74DusterP457 Offline
mopar addict
74DusterP457  Offline
mopar addict

Rowlett, TX
Great post Ted!

Let me offer three things to keep in mind:

1) Knowledge that is not shared is not knowledge

2) Don't question the output - question the input.

3) Don't ever let things get to the personal level. If you disagree, that's OK. If you don't agree, I suggest fall back to #2 - question why the person feels the way they do. Is it personal experience? They've "always done it that way" or something else. Understanding the reason behind forces both parties to think.

Paul

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #492308
10/09/09 03:30 PM
10/09/09 03:30 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

There are a handful of "racers" on here that just like to hear themselves talk about how fast they are, how good they are, how fast they are going to go ( typically only posting their -800' DA runs) etc etc

If my lack of any recent "racing" and only infrequent test & tune results post falls into this category, so be it. These days that's about all I can contribute...

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: BradH] #492309
10/09/09 03:36 PM
10/09/09 03:36 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
Yes but we all know how to set pinion angle now the proper way!

Mopar Performance
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: 74DusterP457] #492310
10/09/09 03:39 PM
10/09/09 03:39 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
The best approach is be able to agree to disagree and and be able to back up your statements if you choose to defend your position while being respectful of others opinions.There is no right or wrong if the information has validity.I try and avoid any topics that are beyond my knowledge or experience.Then again you will always have those who want to be a smart azz and you deal with them accordingly.To just make statements with out explaination is not helpful.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: B G Racing] #492311
10/09/09 04:17 PM
10/09/09 04:17 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline OP
master
Diego_Ted  Offline OP
master

Diego-Town, CA
It seems like there are alot that agree with some of what I have said. If the individuals that "like" drama, want drama, then bullet is their cup of tea!! This site does not have to be boring or uneventful, as we all like the juicy details. However, respect and a bit of open minded tolerance go a long way. Everyone wants to be taken seriously and feel their input is worth the time they invested into sharing it, this should be considered by all. My point was not to call anyone out but rather to implore we treat each other and each other’s opinion with consideration, if not respect. After all we are all racers, mopar enthusiasts and I would like to think friends brought together by a common bond.

Diego

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492312
10/09/09 04:44 PM
10/09/09 04:44 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

It seems like there are alot that agree with some of what I have said. If the individuals that "like" drama, want drama, then bullet is their cup of tea!! This site does not have to be boring or uneventful, as we all like the juicy details. However, respect and a bit of open minded tolerance go a long way. Everyone wants to be taken seriously and feel their input is worth the time they invested into sharing it, this should be considered by all. My point was not to call anyone out but rather to implore we treat each other and each other’s opinion with consideration, if not respect. After all we are all racers, mopar enthusiasts and I would like to think friends brought together by a common bond.

Diego

This post is one of the best I have read in awhile that was not tech related, as far as the tech stuff, it seem's that there is more crap than tech anymore, used to get straight answer's before, now it seem's people get pissy if you don't agree with them and are quick to put you in your place, (or so they think), I have learned alot here and met a lot of member's that I now concider friend's, the biggest thing I miss is the builder's, machinist and assembler's of great car's that at one time were very willing to freely give information to help guy's like me get thru a problem now it's hard to get a straight answer from someone that really know's, I guess some people aren't happy unless they are stirring up a stink

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: dartman366] #492313
10/09/09 04:57 PM
10/09/09 04:57 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
I really like my wife's outlook on problems like these. She says " in a 100 years....all new people."
I'm not a racer anymore and the technology has changed dramatically since I raced so I appreciate reading about different ways of attacking a situation. However, you may have a geat blueprint for building a house but if you've never built it you don't know if it was such a good blueprint or not.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492314
10/09/09 05:23 PM
10/09/09 05:23 PM
Stockholm,SWEDEN
T
The Nutcracker Offline
enthusiast
The Nutcracker  Offline
enthusiast
T

Stockholm,SWEDEN
Exellent post! I agree a 100%
Keep Unlawfl`tech, please!