New Smyrna Beach FL
S
scottb Offline
pro stock
scottb  Offline
pro stock
S

New Smyrna Beach FL
My brother bought a brand new speed demon a few yr before his car was done once the car was done installed the carb brand new out of the box .That thing was so rich we changed power valves played with the air bleeds carb is still way fat and pops and misses all the way down the track install a used holly car runs great .I told him to call Barry Grant they said we cannot help you carbs to old nice custmore service .Barry grant will never get a dime from me and I tell everybody about that piece of $hit carb.Remember 1 bad custmore will tell 100 people 1 good custmore might tell 2 you need to make it right with him over $500.00 for that piece of $hit

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: TechAtBG] #482856
09/30/09 12:53 PM
09/30/09 12:53 PM
Indiana
W5Duster436 Offline
master
W5Duster436  Offline
master

Indiana
Quote:

My office will randomly pull carburetors after being assembled and take them completely apart looking for even the smallest of things and then have meetings with the involved department managers to discuss these findings as well as letting them know where other areas have improved.

OBA - Out of box audit. this should be done on at least 10% of daily production.

'70 Duster - SDSS 436 W5 4spd (Gone)
'71 Dodge D100
'70 Dodge W100
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: W5Duster436] #482857
09/30/09 03:31 PM
09/30/09 03:31 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

My office will randomly pull carburetors after being assembled and take them completely apart looking for even the smallest of things and then have meetings with the involved department managers to discuss these findings as well as letting them know where other areas have improved.

OBA - Out of box audit. this should be done on at least 10% of daily production.

Not my speciality, but what is the 10% based on? Shouldn't it be based mainly on the failure rate on those that are checked?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #482858
09/30/09 04:08 PM
09/30/09 04:08 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Didn't you hear the "assigned" news media say the recession was over and everything was all good?

Chris.

We need you on Yellow Bullet "political" ASAP.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: jcc] #482859
09/30/09 04:13 PM
09/30/09 04:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guys this is just the "next step" from the LAST time they declared--it is no big deal--the bankruptcy plans have a life and many many steps involved--some guys are trading equity for whatever etc-- It is just some trick to get to the next step etc I heard that Holley had actually put up more $$ in house for certain areas and projects and departments etc--they ain't going anywhere---prices will go up but you can still get Holley stuff---

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: ] #482860
09/30/09 06:50 PM
09/30/09 06:50 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Where's Monte on this one....

Rickster

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: rickstershemi] #482861
10/01/09 01:34 AM
10/01/09 01:34 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Rickster

Right here, and as usual seeing that most have no clue about what is really going on. True, we(Holley) filed bankruptcy last year and again this year. But this is NOT a "stick it to the creditors" as somebody posted. This is all about bonds, interest and payments and as mentioned, is a long process. Years ago, when some guy who will remain nameless was the president of Holley and purchased all those other companies, he did not plan for the future at all and assumed that sales would remain at the top. All these type purchases are done with bonds. When sales drop off enough, that you don't have enough capital, to pay the interest on the bond payment, something has to be done. That something is filing for a certain type bankruptcy, which is merely a restructuring of payment schedules and amounts to the bond holders. This allows income to be used to help advance the company, instead of just making bond payments. Holley is doing fine and will be here for years to come. Both Holley and NOS have many new products coming out that will be revealed at SEMA. We are hiring new engineers and it is business as usual. Like my bosss just told me, "we sell millions of dollars worth of parts a month, just not as many millions as in the past". Like I said, Holley is fine and don't look for them to go away anytime soon.

Monte

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: scottb] #482862
10/01/09 10:39 AM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

My brother bought a brand new speed demon a few yr before his car was done once the car was done installed the carb brand new out of the box .That thing was so rich we changed power valves played with the air bleeds carb is still way fat and pops and misses all the way down the track install a used holly car runs great .I told him to call Barry Grant they said we cannot help you carbs to old nice custmore service .Barry grant will never get a dime from me and I tell everybody about that piece of $hit carb.Remember 1 bad custmore will tell 100 people 1 good custmore might tell 2 you need to make it right with him over $500.00 for that piece of $hit

have him send it in along with a copy of this thread and a not about the combination it is for and exactly what it was doing and we will take a look at it.

Technical Support Barry Grant, Inc. www.barrygrant.com
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: Monte_Smith] #482863
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I don't know anything about Holley's finances but I do know that last year I worked with a great guy at Holley to get some carbs for a book and magazine project. This year that guy is gone and when I call the Holley phone number all I get is voice mail hell. There doesn't appear to be anyone there to answer the phone. (maybe I should give BG a second chance?)

Last edited by AndyF; 10/01/09 10:40 AM.
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: AndyF] #482864
10/01/09 11:31 AM
10/01/09 11:31 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
That's the exact same experience I had with my contact at Crane right before the bomb dropped.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: AndyF] #482865
10/01/09 11:40 AM
10/01/09 11:40 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Don't know much about Holley's situation but recently I decided to give Barry Grant another chance and it backfired on me.Having used BG's stuff for many years with great success about 6 years ago we had a rash of regulator issues,from missing parts to schrapnal,then came the crap in the carbs,followed buy a match set of flowed carbs for a blower application(nice paper work) but carbs were not even close,not even jetting,followed up by a BG400 that almost cost me my Hemi race car.It's still setting on the shelf as a reminder.At the Mopar Nat's I needed a new pump and bought a BG220 put it on and it peeed all over,got a second 220 to replace it and it did the same.I respect Barry Grant and what he has done for racing and his techonology is second to none but at this point my confidence level is quite low.On a positive note I have used his carbs on quite a few builds with great success after giving them my own"BG Treatment" or "BGR Treatment"Hopefully his product will regain my confidence in future,the man,Barry Grant will always have my respect.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: Monte_Smith] #482866
10/01/09 11:47 AM
10/01/09 11:47 AM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
i dont know about holleys moneyproblems, i do hope they get sorted out in a good way, but i have to say im not impressed with the techhelp i got asking for a blowercarb, not that i got treated bad in anyway but i could easily get better advice from anyone with a catalog and some comon sense..
i wish holley had more personel like monte smith,that has a clue about what they are doing!

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: AndyF] #482867
10/01/09 12:10 PM
10/01/09 12:10 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

I don't know anything about Holley's finances but I do know that last year I worked with a great guy at Holley to get some carbs for a book and magazine project. This year that guy is gone and when I call the Holley phone number all I get is voice mail hell. There doesn't appear to be anyone there to answer the phone. (maybe I should give BG a second chance?)

There were layoffs last year and a lot of people were let go. In the future Andy, if you need something like this, let me know and I can get the direct line to the guy you need to talk with. The guy that handles this sort of thing is my boss.

Monte

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: 1Fast340] #482868
10/01/09 12:12 PM
10/01/09 12:12 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
It's typical in restructuring debt to have filings like this. I dont believe it' sall rosie.. somethign tells me the perforamnce side of Holley might be ok but any suppliers of the big 3 are hurting as a result of the pleasure of dealing with them. They mention the Caterpillar deal falling through... I can also tell you, NO company, when it's having issues, will tell it's employees the full truth. Not one. So I wouldnt doubt everything Monte says is fact as he knows it.

As for BG... It will take time before I try again. Of the 4 or so cars that ran them that I had to debugg.. They all had issues from "hanging chads" left from the small hole dirlling in the metering blocks to the obigatory stuff in the bowls. The last one was last year. Took it out of the plastic myself and opened it up. I got a bunch of glitter on my finger. Small bits, almost dust particales but a film of them. Cleaned both bowls out, checked for "chads" and proceeded to run it and it was fine. I do not consider them ready to run out of the box. I applaud your efforts but how about just giving everything a bath after machining? I know chemicals are hard to make use of, but seems like basic washing witha high volume of solution rather than the vibratory cleaning might work better. What I found was residue. Not machining chunks in the bowl.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: Monte_Smith] #482869
10/01/09 01:53 PM
10/01/09 01:53 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Monte - I'll shoot you a PM. I'm working on my second book at the moment and there is a chapter in it on carbs and intakes for SB and BB Mopar engines. I can use some help with pictures and product. The guy I used to work with appears to be gone and the phone line in marketing just rings thru to voice mail.

This isn't just Holley of course. The guy I worked with at Edelbrock on the last book is gone. The guy I worked with at Crane for years is gone.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: Monte_Smith] #482870
10/01/09 02:06 PM
10/01/09 02:06 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Right here, and as usual seeing that most have no clue about what is really going on. True, we(Holley) filed bankruptcy last year and again this year. But this is NOT a "stick it to the creditors" as somebody posted. This is all about bonds, interest and payments and as mentioned, is a long process. Years ago, when some guy who will remain nameless was the president of Holley and purchased all those other companies, he did not plan for the future at all and assumed that sales would remain at the top. All these type purchases are done with bonds. When sales drop off enough, that you don't have enough capital, to pay the interest on the bond payment, something has to be done. That something is filing for a certain type bankruptcy, which is merely a restructuring of payment schedules and amounts to the bond holders. This allows income to be used to help advance the company, instead of just making bond payments. Holley is doing fine and will be here for years to come. Both Holley and NOS have many new products coming out that will be revealed at SEMA. We are hiring new engineers and it is business as usual. Like my bosss just told me, "we sell millions of dollars worth of parts a month, just not as many millions as in the past". Like I said, Holley is fine and don't look for them to go away anytime soon.

Monte

Figured a call-out was in order to put the rumors and speculation to bed....

Rickster

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: moper] #482871
10/01/09 04:18 PM
10/01/09 04:18 PM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

It's typical in restructuring debt to have filings like this. I dont believe it' sall rosie.. somethign tells me the perforamnce side of Holley might be ok but any suppliers of the big 3 are hurting as a result of the pleasure of dealing with them. They mention the Caterpillar deal falling through... I can also tell you, NO company, when it's having issues, will tell it's employees the full truth. Not one. So I wouldnt doubt everything Monte says is fact as he knows it.

As for BG... It will take time before I try again. Of the 4 or so cars that ran them that I had to debugg.. They all had issues from "hanging chads" left from the small hole dirlling in the metering blocks to the obigatory stuff in the bowls. The last one was last year. Took it out of the plastic myself and opened it up. I got a bunch of glitter on my finger. Small bits, almost dust particales but a film of them. Cleaned both bowls out, checked for "chads" and proceeded to run it and it was fine. I do not consider them ready to run out of the box. I applaud your efforts but how about just giving everything a bath after machining? I know chemicals are hard to make use of, but seems like basic washing witha high volume of solution rather than the vibratory cleaning might work better. What I found was residue. Not machining chunks in the bowl.

On the one you bought last year did you find any "chad" or was it just the "glitter" Was it gold or silver? The parts are all washed after each process but when I see any "glitter" it is typically gold and from the dye used on the main body and has no affect whatsoever on performance. Keep in mind that all of the carburetors are flow tested and during this process is where the small amount of dye glitter comes from. I personally take quite a few apart though and very rarely find chads anymore but we are looking at some new media that may totally eliminate that issue as well.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: B G Racing] #482872
10/01/09 04:25 PM
10/01/09 04:25 PM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

Don't know much about Holley's situation but recently I decided to give Barry Grant another chance and it backfired on me.Having used BG's stuff for many years with great success about 6 years ago we had a rash of regulator issues,from missing parts to schrapnal,then came the crap in the carbs,followed buy a match set of flowed carbs for a blower application(nice paper work) but carbs were not even close,not even jetting,followed up by a BG400 that almost cost me my Hemi race car.It's still setting on the shelf as a reminder.At the Mopar Nat's I needed a new pump and bought a BG220 put it on and it peeed all over,got a second 220 to replace it and it did the same.I respect Barry Grant and what he has done for racing and his techonology is second to none but at this point my confidence level is quite low.On a positive note I have used his carbs on quite a few builds with great success after giving them my own"BG Treatment" or "BGR Treatment"Hopefully his product will regain my confidence in future,the man,Barry Grant will always have my respect.

Do you still have the 220 pumps? If so we need to get them corrected for you since it should have been a warranty issue and you can send them in along with a copy of this thread to the attention of the tech department.

How long has it been since you last tried our carbs and had to go into them?

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: TechAtBG] #482873
10/01/09 06:35 PM
10/01/09 06:35 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Do you still have the 220 pumps? If so we need to get them corrected for you since it should have been a warranty issue and you can send them in along with a copy of this thread to the attention of the tech department.

It has been 4 years since I have tried any BG stuff,the 220 were this year about a month ago.My supplier told me to send them to BG for warranty but recalling a warranty issue from 4 years ago I told him he could deal with it since the last warranty job that was done through a BG dealer cost me the same as a new 400 pump would have cost and the didn't fix the pump.It was returned in the same condition that almost cost me my Race car.That's the one one the shelf that is in plain sight to remind me. After being snake bit a few times,I'am very careful.Also I delt with Barry himself on a 1100 CFM dominator years ago that he said would be my ticket on my Hemi.At the time it was $1200 and the agreement was that if it didn't do what he said I would get 100% of my money back.Well,I went for it and loss 2tenths on my car,loaned to another racer with a 500" wedge and he lost over 2tenths,and tried it yet on another wedge with the same results.Needless to say he got his carb and I got my money back.My stock Holly 1250 dominator with my tweaking is a 1/2 second faster that is on the car now.Don't take this as bashing BG at all it's the plain and simple race experience from the real world.As I have said before I have great respect for Barry and his products and techonology and think he is an awsome person to have overcome so much and yet keeps on developing race engineered parts,his quality control and some of his workers need to be as deligent as Barry

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: B G Racing] #482874
10/01/09 06:51 PM
10/01/09 06:51 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It has been 4 years since I have tried any BG stuff,the 220 were this year about a month ago.My supplier told me to send them to BG for warranty but recalling a warranty issue from 4 years ago I told him he could deal with it since the last warranty job that was done through a BG dealer cost me the same as a new 400 pump would have cost and the didn't fix the pump.It was returned in the same condition that almost cost me my Race car.That's the one one the shelf that is in plain sight to remind me. After being snake bit a few times,I'am very careful.Also I delt with Barry himself on a 1100 CFM dominator years ago that he said would be my ticket on my Hemi.At the time it was $1200 and the agreement was that if it didn't do what he said I would get 100% of my money back.Well,I went for it and loss 2tenths on my car,loaned to another racer with a 500" wedge and he lost over 2tenths,and tried it yet on another wedge with the same results.Needless to say he got his carb and I got my money back.My stock Holly 1250 dominator with my tweaking is a 1/2 second faster that is on the car now.Don't take this as bashing BG at all it's the plain and simple race experience from the real world.As I have said before I have great respect for Barry and his products and techonology and think he is an awsome person to have overcome so much and yet keeps on developing race engineered parts,his quality control and some of his workers need to be as deligent as Barry

I don't want this to turn into a BG bashing, but I have to say that my BG280 worked well for a year until I had the car on a chassis dyno. Second run it started spewing fuel.

They fixed it, and it started cavitating. Fixed it again and the whole system went into resonance with fuel spitting instead of flowing in the range my car ran (was fine at full flow). Resonance wiped out several gauges. They couldn't fix it so they sent me a new pump and it did the same. Finally they gave me a BG400 and it has worked well, but it cost me a fortune in all new braided lines.

Also the regulator was incorrectly assembled at BG.

Have to say the customer service was outstanding, but it cost me a lot of money.

I hope for the best for Holley. I think they are a good and very important supplier for our racing industry. Plus they have Monte!

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4