Print Thread
Seat Upholstery Advice Needed for '71 Challenger #470028
09/16/09 01:06 PM
09/16/09 01:06 PM
St. Paul, MN
DieselBilly Offline OP
DieselBilly  Offline OP

St. Paul, MN
Ok, this is my first seat upholstery project, and I didn't get far before I got stuck. The original front seat covers have inserts that are hog-ringed (from wires bordering the inserts into wires that are molded into the seat buns) giving the inserts some depth. My new Legendary seat covers don't have any provisions to use the old listing wires that bordered the inserts on the old covers. So I hog-ringed the hem of the insert on the new cover to the wires that are molded into the bun, but with the cover stretched over the seat frame, you can see where the hog rings are (it's dimpled) in the inserts. I'm not going to take the seats to an upholstery shop (I've done the whole car myself to this point, and I'm gonna finish it myself). Any ideas about what I could do differently? Thanks!

Still looking to trade my lawn mower for a nice Hemi car.....
Re: Seat Upholstery Advice Needed for '71 Challenger [Re: DieselBilly] #470029
09/16/09 01:40 PM
09/16/09 01:40 PM
Tenn.
jrwoodjoe Offline
master
jrwoodjoe  Offline
master

Tenn.
Hey,

I did the seats on my 70 Challenger which should be very similar to yours. I had no problem using the necessary elements from my old seat covers to get the new seat covers to fit correctly. It was over a year ago so I'm having trouble recalling everything, BUT...for some reason I recall having to cut a slit for some rods in a couple of the covers to use them. This may be what you are referring to. Let others chime in before you go cutting anything but if you could include some pics of what you are talking about it may jog my memory. For what it's worth, it was the first set I had done in over 15 years and mine turned out very nice so I'm sure yours should also.

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger
Re: Seat Upholstery Advice Needed for '71 Challenger [Re: jrwoodjoe] #470030
09/16/09 02:01 PM
09/16/09 02:01 PM
St. Paul, MN
DieselBilly Offline OP
DieselBilly  Offline OP

St. Paul, MN
I was wondering, too, if I could add the wires, but after looking at it, there doesn't appear to be any way to run them through. There is a piece of harder plastic sewn into the hem that looked to be intended to work in place of the wire, but given my results, I could be completely wrong about that. I'll take a couple pics when I get home tonight.

Re: Seat Upholstery Advice Needed for '71 Challenger [Re: DieselBilly] #470031
09/16/09 02:54 PM
09/16/09 02:54 PM
St. Paul, MN
DieselBilly Offline OP
DieselBilly  Offline OP

St. Paul, MN
I just called Legendary about installing the covers, and they were very helpful. It turns out that I should be able to re-use my old listing wires after all if I crimp the ends down (they have pretty big loops in them now). I'll try that tonight, and it should solve my problem.....