09/05/09 07:53 AM
09/05/09 07:53 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Reading a recent thread on another members cooling problems got me thinking......

I'm starting to think that there are real differences in WP's and maybe the stock ones will cool even the most severe combos if matched properly. You hear so many guys who put a car together and it runs hot no matter what they do, monster fans/radiators, high flow aluminum WP's, water wetter, etc... and almost always, the guys who run stock cooling systems as factory delivered chime in and are running cool. I also read a thread on another site about some other make (maybe a cobra kit car with a ford motor) with a sever overheating issue. This guy went through everything and what finally solved the problem was swapping the waterpump to a stock pump. (he may have had an A/C spec pump on a non A/C application, I forget)

Were different factory WP's made for different housings? Is it that easy to get a mismatch? maybe the high flow WP's cavitate? I don't know, but It seems to me like there's something to it. maybe the design of the fins or amount of fins....

Just thinking out loud. Wish someone with some real data could chime in and clear it up for me.

Re: SPEAKING OF WATERPUMPS......... [Re: Pool Fixer] #459737
09/05/09 08:17 AM
09/05/09 08:17 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Reading a recent thread on another members cooling problems got me thinking......

I'm starting to think that there are real differences in WP's and maybe the stock ones will cool even the most severe combos if matched properly. You hear so many guys who put a car together and it runs hot no matter what they do, monster fans/radiators, high flow aluminum WP's, water wetter, etc... and almost always, the guys who run stock cooling systems as factory delivered chime in and are running cool. I also read a thread on another site about some other make (maybe a cobra kit car with a ford motor) with a sever overheating issue. This guy went through everything and what finally solved the problem was swapping the waterpump to a stock pump. (he may have had an A/C spec pump on a non A/C application, I forget)

Were different factory WP's made for different housings? Is it that easy to get a mismatch? maybe the high flow WP's cavitate? I don't know, but It seems to me like there's something to it. maybe the design of the fins or amount of fins....

Just thinking out loud. Wish someone with some real data could chime in and clear it up for me.

As you well know,everything worked fine when it left the factory.We seem to have a tendency to fix things that aren't broke,in most cases just to make it look pretty or the hype that someone puts out about a new product that's "better than the original".I doubt any aftermarket vendor has the funds and expertise for R&R that the mfg does.I am a strong advecate of OEM components,especially heating and cooling.Never had a heating issue in 40yrs with original parts,don't ever expect to.

Re: SPEAKING OF WATERPUMPS......... [Re: 62maxwgn] #459738
09/05/09 09:12 PM
09/05/09 09:12 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY

Re: SPEAKING OF WATERPUMPS......... [Re: Pool Fixer] #459739
09/05/09 10:47 PM
09/05/09 10:47 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I've had my bouts with cooling systems.

One in particular was my 64 300. Ran hot after I built the 413 up a bit warmer than stock, would puke coolnt at low speed/idling aorund, stop and go traffic situations. Put in a later, larger radiator, want to say a 69 C body radiator. Still ran hot. New pump, still hot, hoses, thermostat, etc, still hot. Buddy of mine finally found the OEM shroud hanging on the wall at a boneyard, called me and told me he'd found (by eyeball no less, I was sceptical). It was the right shroud, put it on no more running hot.

Then there was my 87 Diplomat, ran hotter than it used to. Swapped a tone of things around, ultimately put a completely different engine in. No change, turned out to be the stock exhaust flapper valve had a broken spring and stayed shut all the time.

There are a lot of things that can contribute to cooling system issues, some have no apparent relationship to the cooling system. But when you change a bunch of things away from stock then you really can't be too sure what the issue is. One change at a time and only if it's needed is my motto.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.