WNY
S
slimert Offline OP
mopar
slimert  Offline OP
mopar
S

WNY
Well I need to warn everyone that has a rimblow wheel.

Last spring I installed a restored rimblow wheel with an old rimblow switch that seemed to be in great shape from a junked car. These switches are very delicate and usually never work after you mess with them.

Yesterday while at work the horns started blowing (on their own). Fortunately my wife was home and with some coaching was able to disconnect the negative cable. All I could think of was the copper strips inside warmed up enough to expand and 'make' the switch.

Earlier this year I was talking to a fellow at Carlisle who told me his Dart caught fire from a defective rimblow wheel back in the 70s. I was lucky.

Not to scare anyone but do not take a chance with old switches, buy a new rimblow switch. Also, with these old cars, really need to store with the battery disconnected.

Mike.

Re: Rimblow switch warning [Re: slimert] #458901
09/04/09 12:27 PM
09/04/09 12:27 PM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
thanks for the heads up but u lost me on the restored wheel with an old switch thing....restored would of had to remove the switch assy out then installed back in right?
that's why i went with a new switch just for this reason...hope that nothing else was toast....

Re: Rimblow switch warning [Re: AARCONV] #458902
09/04/09 02:37 PM
09/04/09 02:37 PM
WOODGRAINWHEELS.COM Indiana
plumbeeper Offline
mopar
plumbeeper  Offline
mopar

WOODGRAINWHEELS.COM Indiana
I always recommend a new switch with a restoration. They are cheap compared to replacing your car. That also goes along with a guarantee with a new switch as long as I install it. The rimblow switch is very delicate and can be damaged very easily which will cause the horn to blow when you really don't want it to. The old switches slowly deteriorate with age and eventually fail.

Dave

Dave