IA
L
landon1 Offline OP
mopar
landon1  Offline OP
mopar
L

IA
how would say an autometer speedo work in a custom dash panel? there are cable driven as well as electric units where you also need the sender that mounts on the trans where the cable would go. how do these units work? for cable driven, how would you know what size gear to get for the speedo to be correct, or does the factory recommendation still work? for the "hall effect" sensors, how would you adjust for tire size, gear ratio, etc?

'71 Satellite Sebring 440
Re: aftermarket speedometers [Re: landon1] #458725
09/03/09 10:47 PM
09/03/09 10:47 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

how would say an autometer speedo work in a custom dash panel? there are cable driven as well as electric units where you also need the sender that mounts on the trans where the cable would go. how do these units work? for cable driven, how would you know what size gear to get for the speedo to be correct, or does the factory recommendation still work? for the "hall effect" sensors, how would you adjust for tire size, gear ratio, etc?

Aftermarket speedos work fine. They mount and wire in like any other aftermarket gauge. For the cable driven ones the speedo gear the factory recommends is the correct one for you. Speedo design seems to be very standardized in this respect. To hook up a cable driven aftermarket speedo you'll need a mid 60's style speedo cable with a threaded output instead of the slip-on one mopar used in the late 60's and later. I bought mine off ebay for cheap, 10 bucks or something like that.

For the electric speedos, you calibrate them by driving. You pull up to a stop sign or a mile marker and hit the calibrate button, drive exactly one mile to the next mile marker or stop sign and hit the calibration button again and you're done, you just calibrated it. Doing this you don't need to worry about picking the right speedo gear for your tire size/rear end gear ratio because the electronic speedo has a computer in it that calibrates and takes all that into account automatically.

Re: aftermarket speedometers [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #458726
09/03/09 10:56 PM
09/03/09 10:56 PM
IA
L
landon1 Offline OP
mopar
landon1  Offline OP
mopar
L

IA
interesting.....i assume that's the "pain" with the electronic units - normally the button you push is on the backside of the gauge - think i read somewhere about that, but there is a brand/model that puts the programming button(s) on the front.

in regards to a cable, any cable would work, just a generic cable with a threaded end, eh? not mark specific or anything? this could turn out to be as easy of a project as i initially expected

'71 Satellite Sebring 440
Re: aftermarket speedometers [Re: landon1] #458727
09/03/09 11:01 PM
09/03/09 11:01 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
One of them I was looking at you could calibrate it by pressing/holding the trip meter reset button on the front of the gauge. They are a little more expensive because you've got to buy the sender as well, so it's up to you. More convenient in that you don't have to worry about having the right speedo gear. I bought a mechanical autometer speedo because I got a good deal on it, but I was initially looking at an electronic VDO speedo.

For the mechanical speedo cable, look for one for a mid 60's dodge, ie a 65 dodge. I bought mine from this guy, I see his prices have gone up a little since I got mine but still reasonable for a new cable I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/59-60-61-...d=p4506.c0.m245

Re: aftermarket speedometers [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #458728
09/04/09 10:22 AM
09/04/09 10:22 AM
Central Ky, area
C
CHRYCOFAN Offline
top fuel
CHRYCOFAN  Offline
top fuel
C

Central Ky, area
For a mechanical just go to any parts house that carries Pioneer replacement cables, Pioneer # 3004 has the correct ends.

Butch

Re: aftermarket speedometers [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #458729
09/04/09 02:57 PM
09/04/09 02:57 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

Quote:

Aftermarket speedos work fine. They mount and wire in like any other aftermarket gauge. For the cable driven ones the speedo gear the factory recommends is the correct one for you. Speedo design seems to be very standardized in this respect. To hook up a cable driven aftermarket speedo you'll need a mid 60's style speedo cable with a threaded output instead of the slip-on one mopar used in the late 60's and later. I bought mine off ebay for cheap, 10 bucks or something like that.

For the electric speedos, you calibrate them by driving. You pull up to a stop sign or a mile marker and hit the calibrate button, drive exactly one mile to the next mile marker or stop sign and hit the calibration button again and you're done, you just calibrated it. Doing this you don't need to worry about picking the right speedo gear for your tire size/rear end gear ratio because the electronic speedo has a computer in it that calibrates and takes all that into account automatically.