08/15/09 10:15 AM
08/15/09 10:15 AM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
I just bolted up my Lakewood bellhousing to my 451 for the first time, in order to measure the runout.

I discovered that the stock dowel pins in the block aren't nearly long enough to properly register the housing, especially as I am also using the block plate, and over the years they probably have been pushed farther in. Anyway I now have to remove the old ones.

How can I do this as simply as possible? I've tried vise grips but they slip off. The only solutions I see are:

-drill and tap a hole so I can connect a slide hammer either directly or to a bolt;

-drill all the way through (which will be time consuming), tap for a grease fitting and push it back out with hydraulic pressure from the grease gun;

-weld something to the end of the pin for a better grip, and hope I don't crack the block from the heat!

The backside of the right hand pin would be accessible if I drilled a hole through the block and used a punch, but the left one would still be a problem.

Right now I am leaning towards the "hydraulic" approach.

Any tips/tricks greatly appreciated!
-Charles

Re: How to remove bellhousing dowel pins from block? [Re: DrCharles] #438707
08/15/09 10:32 AM
08/15/09 10:32 AM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
i just tacked welded a bolt to the dowel pin and then used a slide hammer to take them out. They came out really easy.

By the way RobbMC sells some really good dowel pins that are in the correct Mopar size.

Re: How to remove bellhousing dowel pins from block? [Re: Blakcharger440] #438708
08/15/09 11:06 AM
08/15/09 11:06 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
I tack weld a piece of all-thread to the dowel, then use a chunk of steel with a hole drilled in it for a slide weight (think of it as a home made slide hammer).
A couple of tack welds will not hurt the block. If you are really worried, make one tack then wait a few minutes before the next. It should only take a couple to do the job.

Re: How to remove bellhousing dowel pins from block? [Re: DrCharles] #438709
08/15/09 12:23 PM
08/15/09 12:23 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Dowel pin puller.

5419116-dowel_puller.jpg (2049 downloads)
Re: How to remove bellhousing dowel pins from block? [Re: AndyF] #438710
08/15/09 12:42 PM
08/15/09 12:42 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Thanks, Andy, but I don't happen to have one of those in my toolbox

I drilled a 3/32 hole through the right hand dowel pin - it was soft and went easily. Of course I couldn't find my small-thread Zerk fittings and after several frustrating minutes trying to get grease and oil in through that tiny hole to pack the cavity I decided just to keep drilling. Went up .050 each drill and after about five different sizes that only took about 20 seconds apiece, it popped right out. Easy...

so I start on the other one. Naturally on the second drill I break it off in the hole

OK, back to suggestion to MIG a bolt to it

Lug the welder over and set it up (someday I will buy or build a cart for it). Just as I start to get a tack weld the wire rats-nests inside the welder! Try and free it - wire breaks off flush with the inside end of the gun. Remove gun, extract wire, rethread, try again. Another rats nest!!

Tell me again why this hobby is fun
So I have quit for lunch and
-Charles

Re: How to remove bellhousing dowel pins from block? [Re: DrCharles] #438711
08/15/09 01:14 PM
08/15/09 01:14 PM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
Quote:

Thanks, Andy, but I don't happen to have one of those in my toolbox

I drilled a 3/32 hole through the right hand dowel pin - it was soft and went easily. Of course I couldn't find my small-thread Zerk fittings and after several frustrating minutes trying to get grease and oil in through that tiny hole to pack the cavity I decided just to keep drilling. Went up .050 each drill and after about five different sizes that only took about 20 seconds apiece, it popped right out. Easy...

so I start on the other one. Naturally on the second drill I break it off in the hole

OK, back to suggestion to MIG a bolt to it

Lug the welder over and set it up (someday I will buy or build a cart for it). Just as I start to get a tack weld the wire rats-nests inside the welder! Try and free it - wire breaks off flush with the inside end of the gun. Remove gun, extract wire, rethread, try again. Another rats nest!!

Tell me again why this hobby is fun
So I have quit for lunch and
-Charles

Sounds like tension for your wire is too loose causing the wire on your spool to unravel.

Re: How to remove bellhousing dowel pins from block? [Re: Blakcharger440] #438712
08/15/09 02:18 PM
08/15/09 02:18 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Quote:

Sounds like tension for your wire is too loose causing the wire on your spool to unravel.

I have a different problem though. It appears that the nozzle end is either damaged or drilled too small in the first place, and the wire is binding there. Too little tension on the drive roller spring and it won't feed. Too much and the wire kinks in the very short distance between the drive roller and the inlet to the gun tubing.

Anyhow... After a beer and a sandwich I attacked again. I disposed of the broken drill bit tip by going straight through the hole with a round 1/4" carbide burr and a die grinder. Then I carefully resumed drilling (in smaller steps), until the pin could be pulled out with vise grips

AAARGH! All morning just to remove two dowels!!

Now I have to wait for my new (straight) dowel pins to arrive, so I can reassemble the bellhousing and see which offset dowels (.007, .014 or .021) I should have bought instead!

Re: How to remove bellhousing dowel pins from block? [Re: DrCharles] #438713
08/15/09 02:33 PM
08/15/09 02:33 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Buy a package of new little copper tips that the wire runs through.