07/29/09 12:30 AM
07/29/09 12:30 AM
SK, Canada
E
etek Offline OP
etek  Offline OP
E

SK, Canada
So, took the Challenger to a Thermoquad expert I know who works at a shop doing lots of vintage to new repairs. They where to get it running, tune the TQ, check the ECU and dyno it. Once they got it "almost" running they notices 2 things: it "barks-back" through the carb (a valve or valves hanging open? distributor off? ECU?) AND, no oil pressure showed in 30 seconds (total) cranking....

Hx: When I assembled the engine the machine shop didn't install a brass sleeve that the distributor rides in. I bought the specialzed tools from e-bay and did it myself. When I installed the distributor/cam gear it went in tight, but I thought it would loosen. I had already checked the oil pump by manually priming it and it seemed OK - tolerances where good and oil flowed. The dist/cam gear was the last item to go in, so when it was too tight to get it back out, I forgoed running the pump with a drill - because I was "so sure" the pump was working....When I had it on the stand I had it firing and cranking for short periods and saw oil on the rockers, again, assuming the pump was working.

So now the shop (rightly) doesn't want to run it any longer not seeing oil pressure to continue the diagnostics. They want that gear out so we can run up the oil pump with a drill and assure - not assume - it'll pressure up, before going on and continuing the tune and start.

So I'm going to have it towed back to my shop. I don't wanna pay them to remove the intake manifold to get the gear out, ream the brass collar, re-install the gear so it moves freely, run up the pump, check oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, then put it all back together. I can do all that.

So - Would you do the same? Any comments on what's happening? Thanks.

Re: 318 Rebuild Start-up troubles - help! [Re: etek] #422461
07/29/09 01:24 AM
07/29/09 01:24 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
bring it home, take the intermediate shaft/gear out & ream the bushing for a good fit, flush out the shavings, bring it to TDC on #1 & retime the dist and relube the cam/lifters

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth