08/13/10 07:37 PM
08/13/10 07:37 PM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
just keep it at a low speed, use the edge of the foam pad (never lay it flat!!) and always keep it moving.

also it helps if you get the expensive 3M compound, it makes all the difference.

a car is never "done"
Re: New Here . . [Re: jjj18641] #39415
08/14/10 02:38 PM
08/14/10 02:38 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Nope... we are still lurking here and posting when needed. But this thread has pretty well covered off most of the simple and complex questions that arise when doing a 'roll-your-own' paint job.

The compliment to the thread is that most questions have had thorough explanations - and most of the time we don't have to respond to new queries ( because the answers are already there ).

As for me... I keep popping in here because I like to see the pictures of how some folks projects turned out. And I suspect for a lot of folks those pictures help convince them to dip their toes in the water and give it a shot as well.

I like the recent pics of the black.. then white... then red car. The red (most recent) looks the best in my eyes......

Re: New Here . . [Re: Marq] #39416
08/18/10 02:10 AM
08/18/10 02:10 AM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
Has anyone had experience with hvlp guns and rustoleum? What size tip and how much thinning? Any decent cheap brands? Anyone tried the walmart campbell hausfeld guns? They have gravity fed ones for roughly 20 bucks and I was thinking to throw a cheap white paintjob on my other car. Also how important is keeping a wet edge and keeping an industrial water/oil filter on it? Thanks for the tips guys!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Peckinpah] #39417
08/19/10 12:42 AM
08/19/10 12:42 AM
Iowa
66Hemiwagon Offline
66Hemiwagon  Offline

Iowa
If painting a car was as easy as using a roller or a spray can I would be out of business. It kills me to think how much time and money people waste trying to save money. A simple paint job on a car with body work additional is a minimum of 5k. I run a shop that does mostly insurance work and some restoration work. There is a reason why spray cans and rollers dont work, they are CHEAP!!!!!!!!!

6147419-wagons.jpg (145 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 66Hemiwagon] #39418
08/19/10 01:49 AM
08/19/10 01:49 AM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
Quote:

If painting a car was as easy as using a roller or a spray can I would be out of business. It kills me to think how much time and money people waste trying to save money. A simple paint job on a car with body work additional is a minimum of 5k. I run a shop that does mostly insurance work and some restoration work. There is a reason why spray cans and rollers dont work, they are CHEAP!!!!!!!!!

So what is your point? Our decent and more than decent looking paintjobs aren't actually decent looking? A simple paint job shouldn't cost over two, at least not around here.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 66Hemiwagon] #39419
08/20/10 12:43 PM
08/20/10 12:43 PM
WA
Davemutt Offline
Davemutt  Offline

WA
Quote:

It seems your main objection is this method takes too much time. Fine. But understand this is a hobby for us. The time we spend painting our cars is not wasted. Its something to do for fun.

No one claimed this is an efficient way to paint a car and no one rolling paint jobs is going to put you out of work. But you're missing the point. For someone who has the time and wants to paint their own car, this is a valid option.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Davemutt] #39420
08/20/10 12:54 PM
08/20/10 12:54 PM
WA
Davemutt Offline
Davemutt  Offline

WA
My Cougar in Brightside white.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Davemutt] #39421
08/21/10 06:40 PM
08/21/10 06:40 PM
Florida
Q
Quick5.0 Offline
Quick5.0  Offline
Q

Florida
Has anyone used the Valspar Tractor & Implement enamel from TSC? It's either that or the Rustoleum and I'm not sure which I want to try.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Quick5.0] #39422
09/02/10 01:19 PM
09/02/10 01:19 PM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
I've heard positive things about tractor and implement paint, particularly a color called Blitz Black by John Deere. Unfortunately I think they fade more readily that rustoleum but I'm not sure.

I recently bought an HVLP gun for my compressor and played around with it the last couple of days, painting a muffler(don't ask why, it's just what scrap I had laying around).
Primer thinned 10% with mineral spirits went on like a dream, perfect uniform coat. I had one run because I didn't know what I was doing and held the gun too close. Full coverage in one coat with no thin spots. I didn't even prep this thing, I just washed it and scrubbed it with a soap pad thing.

Then I thought I'd throw gloss black on it. I had an interesting result. Orange peel was pretty bad but I got complete coverage in one coat, as opposed to the 6 it took me on my car. I may sand and buff just to get an idea of how it looks. I can say however that spraying, even with my cheap HF gun, was about 10x easier than rolling, particularly with the gloss coat.

Check it out:

(Note, the uneven areas are rust. I didn't sand this at all or prep it like I should have, I just wanted to get a hang of my gun.)

Last edited by joeshmo; 09/02/10 01:20 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: joeshmo] #39423
09/04/10 06:37 PM
09/04/10 06:37 PM
toronto, ohio
A
andyoucankeepit Offline
andyoucankeepit  Offline
A

toronto, ohio
that white cougar looks amazing.

i am doing my 85 hatch mustang in white, i hope it turns out just as nice.

was that buffed?

i know that it has been covered, but is anyone at all having any issues at all with flexible bumper covers?
just use the paint as normal, but use an adhesion promoter?

i bought rustoleum form my former work and didn't notice until the other day, that it is not "professional".
when i bought new stuff, i bought "professional".

i am happy with how high the gloss is on the non-pro, and it seems to be pretty hard (in the areas that got sun), but has anyone ran into any problems between the two?

what is the difference supposed to be?

03 cobra, 85 mustang, 59 galaxie, 68 sportster
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 66Hemiwagon] #39424
09/13/10 08:06 PM
09/13/10 08:06 PM
Portland, OR
B
batjac Offline
batjac  Offline
B

Portland, OR
Quote:

I don't have 5K or more for a paint job. Does that mean I should just tow my car to the junk yard? Drive it with crappy paint until it rusts out? Take it to an inexpensive "professional" paint place? (Did that. Cost me $1000 and after a year the paint's oxidized and flaking.) Just give up and take the bus to work?

You're essentially posting on a thread that's somewhere around 160-170 pages long in three parts. Before you speak, go back through ALL the previous posts and look at the paint jobs. I've also seen hundreds of posts about rolling on the Honda Tech forum, the Miata forum, a couple of VW forums, RolledOn.com, and a couple of other individual websites. I'm sure there are many more forums with $50 Paint Job threads that I've never seen. There are many people with 200 hours to do the rolled on paint job to excellent results, that don't have 5K of free money laying around. That's the reason for the rolled-on/sprayed-on Rustoleum/Brightside/"name-your-favorite paint" method of painting. It's trading time for money. Simple logic.

When I read your post, all I saw was someone who makes his living painting cars, and is either: a) pissed that he's losing business to the Do-It-Yourselfers, b)afraid of losing business to DIYers, c) worried that people will see that painting a car isn't a job that only professionals with years of experience can perform for exorbitant amounts of money, or d) just a paint snob who looks down on anyone who doesn't do it the way HE thinks it must be done.

Over the four years and eight months since this thread started (on 01/23/06), I've read dozens of people say that this method is for cheap a**es, won't last, is stupid, is for people who don't care about their cars, is for....... I've also seen MANY excellent paint jobs done this way. Before you make negative comments on this thread, and nothing you've said hasn't been said many times on all the rolled-on paint threads, go back and look at all the previous posts. They'll tell you who reads this board, why they read it, and what they're capable of accomplishing. Your previous comments are, to me, the same as a Chevy person coming on here and saying that Mopar cars are crap. I'm 47, and I've seen a lot of Mopars in that time that WERE crap. But I don't call all Mopar crap. And I don't do it on a board or a thread that is for Mopar lovers.

You make your living painting cars. Good for you. In this economy I'm happy for anyone who is gainfully employed. But I have no patience or respect for someone crapping on other people's efforts.

'nuff said.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: batjac] #39425
09/15/10 10:03 AM
09/15/10 10:03 AM
Cleveland, OH
Q
quadrajet4x4 Offline
quadrajet4x4  Offline
Q

Cleveland, OH
Hey all,
It's been awhile since I've been back to this thread, but I must say it's still the most useful thing I've ever found on the internet. I've had 3 vehicles benefit from this method!

Anyhow, there may be a fourth if I can figure something out. Has anyone successfully found a way to add metal flake to the rustoleum paint? I know there was a guy who did it with a dark green, but I'm looking to mimic the metallic Pearl white that GM has used on cars in recent history.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: quadrajet4x4] #39426
09/17/10 03:12 AM
09/17/10 03:12 AM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
the way that guy did it with the green dodge was by mixing in a bit of that aluminum rusto paint, it seemed to work really well. Maybe if you try adding a little almond and red to a white base with just a little bit of the amuminum paint you migh get that GM color.

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39427
09/20/10 08:08 PM
09/20/10 08:08 PM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
Today I got some 3m Rubbing compound at the local NAPA.

Pros:
Cheap (10 bucks)
Is 10 times better than turtle wax polishing compound
Very VERY shiny
easy to use
Works with the pad that came with my HF buffer

Cons:
Paint job now shows ALL of my flaws. Before, it was a satin texture that looked okay but slight grungy.
You can see EVERY SINGLE DEFECT in my paint job. Sanding marks, bad bondo, old unfilled chips I thought primer would cover. I suppose you live and learn, I may shoot some rustoleum over it with my hvlp gun now because I figure I can do it in less than a week, sanding, compounding and all.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: joeshmo] #39428
09/21/10 09:33 PM
09/21/10 09:33 PM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
honestly dude, just be happy with what you got! I spent over a year getting every single little defect I could possibly find absolutly perfect, and I found something.

It was no longer fun any more, the more you get to drive and enjoy your car the better!

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39429
09/22/10 03:22 AM
09/22/10 03:22 AM
Poteau, OK
O
OkieOFT Offline
OkieOFT  Offline
O

Poteau, OK
Just thought I would post some pics of my 1994 Mazda MX-3. I'm just wrapping up the paint job. Used Interlux Fire Red for paint, 10 coats. I wetsanded it and today I compounded it with Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound via rotary buffer. I'll be at it again tomorrow applying Meguiars M03 Machine Glaze with the rotary. After that it'll get a coat of Liquid Glass Polish/Finish topped with Meguiars NXT. After all is said and done, I wish I would have sprayed it on instead of rolling. I may even go back later and spray another couple of coats on, just to fix my mistakes and give a more uniform finish. It's definatly better than what I started with, and i'm happy with what I accomplished, espesially for the money i've got in it. On to the pics...

Before:

After wetsanding + compounding

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: OkieOFT] #39430
09/22/10 10:11 AM
09/22/10 10:11 AM
Georgia
B
bigmike Offline
bigmike  Offline
B

Georgia
As much as I like the red/ black look, I decided this past week to go back to the black. This time I'm using a mixture of 1 part Penetrol, two parts paint and about a half part mineral spirits. I'm getting really good results. These pictures are after three coats. I still have three more to go. I can't wait to wet sand and buff this thing.

Sorry about the phone camera quality, but you get the idea. I love this Penetrol stuff. It flattens the paint out really nicely. More pics after I finish up this weekend.

This paint job just gets better every time I do it. I've already got friends asking me to paint their cars. (The same friends who laughed at first when I told them about the roller part.)

Last edited by bigmike; 09/22/10 10:22 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: bigmike] #39431
09/24/10 04:12 AM
09/24/10 04:12 AM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
ha! I think you win the award for most redone roller paint job on here!

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39432
09/24/10 03:26 PM
09/24/10 03:26 PM
NY
J
joeshmo Offline
joeshmo  Offline
J

NY
Anyone have tips for those of us who started with (ugh) 80 or even (lord forbid) 60 grit sandpaper? Would an epoxy primer fill these or should I just go out and get a new hood and trunk? That's where most of the scratches are. Now that I have an hvlp gun, I can do a decent paintjob in two days. I just started buffing and I can now see all of the scratches from being a bit over-eager with my sandpaper.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: joeshmo] #39433
09/24/10 04:09 PM
09/24/10 04:09 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Anyone have tips for those of us who started with (ugh) 80 or even (lord forbid) 60 grit sandpaper? Would an epoxy primer fill these or should I just go out and get a new hood and trunk? That's where most of the scratches are. Now that I have an hvlp gun, I can do a decent paintjob in two days. I just started buffing and I can now see all of the scratches from being a bit over-eager with my sandpaper.

Is the metal scratched, or just the paint? I'd start with 180 on that then go to 240 or 320 before the painting.

If the metal is scratched, you can try a skim coat of bondo mixed with fiberglass resin (google for a recipe, but it's basically the regular bondo mix with the fiberglass resin mixed in to make a slick coat). Then you'll have to sand the entire surface of course (you could start with 150? grit or even 80 if you have big ridges), but it'll be smoooooth.

Page 156 of 167 1 2 154 155 156 157 158 166 167