Sterling Conn
M
manymopars Offline OP
enthusiast
manymopars  Offline OP
enthusiast
M

Sterling Conn
About two weeks ago I was walking by the passenger side of my 98 Durango 4wd,and noticed what looked to be a rusted through hole in the outer rocker panel.Upon further investigation I found that about 24" of the rocker panel{from the rear wheel well forward}was completely rotted out,along with the inner rocker.My question is how did the moisture get in there?All the body plugs were still in ,no holes in the rear wheel well.The only possible place I can see might be the roof rack fasteners allowing the water to leak down the inside of the rear quarters and accumulate in the rocker.Has anyone else had this problem with there Durango?I went to my local Dodge dealer looking to see if i could buy replacement panels, but all parts have been discontinued except for the rocker panels of which you have to buy the entire side panel of the truck.

Re: Rusted durango rocker Panels [Re: manymopars] #377680
07/16/09 10:17 PM
07/16/09 10:17 PM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
My opinion is that is why alot of mopars rust out. The plugs don't let water run out, even though some plugs or sheet metal is designed to drain water. They just trap moisture and moisture-water always finds a way in. My 2000 dakota I now have, has same issue. In 1999, I bought a 90 so. cal ramcharger, tried pulling all the rocker rubber plugs out rightaway, kept the truck until 2006 and it never showed any sign of rot.