07/31/07 03:01 PM
07/31/07 03:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok you St Louis folks, I'd love to see your cars/trucks up close just to see what kinda paint job it turned out to be. From what I have seen they all look great
So how about it would ya care if I came by & took a look or if you out & about & near Cahokia you could come on by my house if you like....joe

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37235
07/31/07 05:54 PM
07/31/07 05:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The best thing to do to learn about finishing the paint is to search for and read every single one of Aussie Driver's posts.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37236
07/31/07 09:22 PM
07/31/07 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

One more coat and then I'll spray bomb the door jams (uggh, 4 door) and think about compounding and polishing.

Speaking of compounding and polishing, I could use some advice on doing just that. I take it you need to let the paint harden and dry completely, a few weeks. After that, what to use as far as rubbing compounds, polishes, waxes, dunno. I do recall some dunning(and justifiably so!) remarks and pictures of what Turtle Wax and a cheapo polisher will do for me. There's a bunch of Meguiars and Mothers stuff at local auto store, so if anybody has had good results with that, would like to hear.

First of all I agree with the other poster who said read every one of Aussie Drivers post. He is a pro.

Secondly I've been researching my bum off through Autopia, North American Motoring, Meguiars Online, etc a whole bunch. I've actually contacted a detailer on these forums and he gave me a list of what products I should use on my Interlux Brightside Black. He works on black cars everyday so this process is proven.

I've gotten out to purchase a Vector "lookalike" 7 inch rotary polisher. I just need to pick up a backing plate, a wool pad, and some other foam pads once my funds come in. But I am confident that I can pull this one off. I will be learning on the fly, one panel @ a time.

I will be using these products in order.

1. Wetsand from 1500 to 2000 grit. (1500 you dont need if you dont have serious orange peel. I only have serious orange peel on my roof).
2. Meguiars #84 Compound with Megs Wool Pad
3. Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze with foam polishing pad (you need several passes with a polishing pad and finishing pad).
4. Desired wax. I am gonna be putting a glaze thats gonna pop the black color, and Meguiars #21 synthetic wax.

Once August 9th hits, it is going to be 2 months where my paint had time to bake.

I'll update and share my results. I put on 8 coats total on my little Civic. This is minus the wetsanding factor. I suggest for anyone to dump as much coats as possible so that when it comes time to polishing, you won't have problems burning through the color coat.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37237
08/01/07 02:43 AM
08/01/07 02:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hugger Orange

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37238
08/01/07 09:52 AM
08/01/07 09:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

nice orange.

i was wondering you guys... ive got a brand new body kit for my cav. im wanting to paint it using the roller method. how would i prep a unpainted fiberglass bumper? just roll it on?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37239
08/01/07 12:20 PM
08/01/07 12:20 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

nice orange.

i was wondering you guys... ive got a brand new body kit for my cav. im wanting to paint it using the roller method. how would i prep a unpainted fiberglass bumper? just roll it on?

First thing you would need to determine is whether the fiberglass bumper is 'paint ready' or not.

Most fiberglass autobody parts are either shipped from the factory with minimal surface preparation or 'ready to paint'.

If the surface looks pretty smooth and 'looks' like it is ready to paint on... then you will probably need to give the entire surface a wipe down with cloth dampened with pure mineral spirits. The point of this wipe down is to remove any chemicals on the surface of the body part that might have attached during the molding process. In the molds they usually add some chemical so that when the fiberglass sets... they can easily remove it from the mold. Once the surface has been cleaned of any foreign matter, you should be able to begin rolling as per the Charger recipe.

If the body part surface is not smooth to the touch.. you may have to do a light hand sanding to smooth it out. Again... you will go through the wipe down with the mineral spirit dampened cloth - to remove any foreign matter off the surface of the body panel. Then you can proceed to the rolling as per the Charger recipe.

This topic about surface preparation also applies to the ABS / plastic aero-effects parts as well. As the ABS / plastic parts often are sold with the mold separation chemical still adhering to the part. If you don't clean it off the paint won't be able to secure its adhesion to the body part.

Hope this helps...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37240
08/01/07 12:30 PM
08/01/07 12:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks marq... its actually pretty smooth to touch. has minor scuffs from shipping... ill prolly sand it down anyway just in case... what grit would you suggest?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37241
08/01/07 12:56 PM
08/01/07 12:56 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

thanks marq... its actually pretty smooth to touch. has minor scuffs from shipping... ill prolly sand it down anyway just in case... what grit would you suggest?

If it has a 'gel coat' on the fiberglass, I would not use anything grittier than say an 800 grit. Gelcoat tends to be soft enough to show scratches from lower grit ranges. The thing about gelcoat is that it tends to powder up the sanding paper pretty quickly. So just be very light on the pressure you are using so the sanded off gelcoat can escape from under the paper as you are sanding.

One thing that I had very good luck with when doing the fiberglass hood on my car was the Norton 3X brand of sand paper in the 1200 grit range. It did a smoother surface preparation job and it tended to not clog up the sandpaper.

When doing sanding on gelcoat I would tend to suggest 'doing it by hand' instead of going to a power sander. If you do it by hand you will be able to sand off a finer layer then the hand sander which may oversand the thin gelcoat they usually put on car parts.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37242
08/01/07 01:01 PM
08/01/07 01:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so im looking for 800-1200... hmm.

might start with 1200 wet sand. sound good?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37243
08/01/07 03:42 PM
08/01/07 03:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would I be able to use this paint?

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=305&SBL=1

I wanted to paint my car a Gloss Navy Blue but they only have it in this type of paint. I mean if its made for a boat, than it should be able to work on a car right?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37244
08/01/07 03:47 PM
08/01/07 03:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i dont see why not... try it out on a small piece first then go from there.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37245
08/01/07 03:54 PM
08/01/07 03:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would I still need to mix in mineral spirits?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37246
08/01/07 04:09 PM
08/01/07 04:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

id use paint thinner (made from mineral spirits) plus you shouldnt have the odorless problems... i know all i could find was odorless mineral spirits so i used paint thinner that says on the can 100% mineral spirits

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37247
08/01/07 04:20 PM
08/01/07 04:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check out Ground Rat's post here.

He didn't like the boat paint so much... but it might have not been the paint itself. It didn't adhere.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37248
08/01/07 04:21 PM
08/01/07 04:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well dang it, the link didn't work so well. Here's what he said:

"Ok, so i'm not real impressed with Rustoleums boat paint. Heres what I did:

Sanded the panel with 220 then 400
Washed with mild soap and water
Dried
Wiped down with mineral spirits and let dry for 2 hours
Wiped down with tack cloth
Applied paint
Waited 48 hours

The paint started flaking right off. I guess I will try the professional series unless anyone can point out a step I did to cause poor adhesion. "

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37249
08/01/07 05:34 PM
08/01/07 05:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looking at the condition of my car. Where do I start first? I'm planning on painting it red to make it easier. I want a dark red but not too dark. Which one do you guys think is better? carnival red or sunrise red?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37250
08/01/07 07:58 PM
08/01/07 07:58 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

so im looking for 800-1200... hmm.

might start with 1200 wet sand. sound good?

You won't need to wet sand the initial fine sanding of an already smooth gelcoat. You should be able to get away with just a superficial / light dry hand sanding with the 1200 grit.

You will have to shake out the paper frequently or smack the powdery debris off your sand paper so that it doesn't clog up.

After it is all smoothed... I would simply take a dry clean towel and do an initial dusting or wiping of the powder off the part. Then once you have gotten rid of all the sanded gelcoat powder you can then move on to the mineral spirit dampened cloth to get whatever powder that might have escaped you dusting with the towel.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37251
08/01/07 08:06 PM
08/01/07 08:06 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Would I be able to use this paint?

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=305&SBL=1

I wanted to paint my car a Gloss Navy Blue but they only have it in this type of paint. I mean if its made for a boat, than it should be able to work on a car right?

I think the initial problem with this paint is that it is a " modified alkyd ". Whereas the Brightside marine paint is a polyurathane and the Rustoleum / Tremclad shares most traits of an enamel.

Rustoleum isn't exactly the first name the rolls off the tongues of boaters when asked to name marine paints. If the boaters aren't discussing it... then that is a pretty good indication that it hasn't got wide acceptance or usage in the marine world.

One of the lads in this forum did an experiment with the Rustoleum marine paint and he found that even with careful surface preparation the paint did not get a good adhesion. It basically flaked off in patches at some point.

So I would shy away from that puppy...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37252
08/01/07 08:10 PM
08/01/07 08:10 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Looking at the condition of my car. Where do I start first? I'm planning on painting it red to make it easier. I want a dark red but not too dark. Which one do you guys think is better? carnival red or sunrise red?

Uh... explain to me what is wrong with the current paint job ? It looks pretty solid from the pictures you posted. Or are you just looking for a color change ?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37253
08/01/07 11:43 PM
08/01/07 11:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, I'm kind of lost here. I've got plenty of paint (8 or more coats) on my car and it looks good but not great. I don't know if this is orange peel that can be sanded out or if it's just a limitation of the method. I've got the paint thin enough and I have sanded to 1000 grit but the paint isn't really flat. I mean that when I spray bomb certain areas I get a much flater level surface than with the roller. It's not bad but I was hoping for more.

Should I continue with the 1500 and another coat or does the compounding and polish work the paint smoother and flater. It looks great from a few feet away but at 2 feet it's just ok.

Anything?

Page 47 of 167 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 166 167