07/04/07 11:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For your first question -
Well, you can polish over decals and stripes but...
There's a good chance that you'll scuff/tear/remove them with the polish - especially if you use an automated polisher rather than your own hands, and also, you'll find that you get some dried compound around the edges of the decals/stripes which is time-consuming, and sometimes impossible to fully remove.

I'd say your best bet would be to polish the paint before you stick or paint anything on top of it.
If the decals don't stick, then you can easily prepare the polished paintwork.
First wash it down with a PH Neutral soap and water, then wipe the area down with a grease/wax remover.
It's probably best to spray the remover on from one of those garden-spray bottles you can get at any dollar store. While it's still wet, wipe it off. You can maybe do this a couple of times if you want to be really sure it's spotless.

Couple of things to bear in mind -
1. Wait until you're certain the paint has cured fully before you prep it for the decals, and
2. Buy a proper Wax/Grease remover from a proper auto store. There is a difference between Home Depot Mineral Spirits and a proper automotive wax/grease remover. It'll cost you more (I used a Sherwin Williams one before painting pinstripes, and it cost me $22), but it's good insurance.
An impure cleaner could lead to adhesion problems with your decals, or worse still - problems with your paint.

Anyway, here's my $0.02.
1. Paint it,
2. Polish it,
3. Prep it,
4. Decal it.

As for your second question - I'll let someone with more experience on bigger vehicles answer up!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36975
07/04/07 02:14 PM
07/04/07 02:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[quote: rmross wrote]So, that's mixing together 2 colors of Rusto paint, right? What about making a new color with a base of Rustoleum by adding pigments to it to make a color Rusto doesn't offer? Would the pigments mix in with the kind of paint that Rustoleum is? Thanks

[quote: tonyvan wrote:]Yes - this was mixing two Rusto colors.
Now, as for adding pigments.....
I don't know how/if they'd affect the paint at a chemical level. In theory, it should be OK - as long as you had the right pigments.
But why go to that trouble/risk anyway? Rusto comes in all the primary colors, plus black and white, so you should be able to mix up any color you like.
To try out the colors before you take the plunge and buy some big Rusto cans, maybe you could experiment with some of those little modelers' enamels?
What color are you trying to achieve?

I was looking for a teal. Green and blue would be the way to go, probably, huh?
Thanks

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36976
07/04/07 02:31 PM
07/04/07 02:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Green and blue would definitely give you a turquoise...and knowing the Rusto colors, it would be a pretty dark turquoise at that.

You might need some white in there as well if you want a true teal, and possibly a dash of yellow to save it from being too 'khaki' !

That's why I'd experiment with little Testors-type cans before I mixed up a bigger batch!
And of course - take notes about the proportions you use...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36977
07/04/07 05:18 PM
07/04/07 05:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK, are you supposed to wax it after polishing?
im using the green tub turtle wax polishing compound with a 10" random polisher and its not shining up nearly as glossy as it was after the paint tried before i wet-sanded it. My final wet-sanding was done with 2000.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36978
07/04/07 05:20 PM
07/04/07 05:20 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Just came in from coat #4. The more I do this, the easier it is to put on. I did find out that you don't want to keep that foam brush in the paint that is thinned already. It started to break down and put crap in the paint. I took a soaked mineral spirits rag and wipped the whole door and t-tops off and started coat #4 over again. Wasted 2 buck in paint too!!! heh...

This might be my last coat due to it being black aready before the paint.

The very large areas to cover can sure be a pain. I had to continue working on around the front to keep from getting the stopping and starting lines.

Here is a picture of coat #4

3609793-coat4.JPG (477 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36979
07/04/07 05:23 PM
07/04/07 05:23 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Another coat #4 picture:

Ok, now I'm starting to think of my next paint project. (69 fastback)

I need to come up with a Harley orange. I'm thinking about mixing the red and orange together. Anyone done this before?

3609796-coat4a.JPG (430 downloads)
Last edited by Roadster_wa; 07/04/07 05:40 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36980
07/04/07 05:51 PM
07/04/07 05:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like the orange on the old XRs? I think an orange/red would work, with not much red...

Mixing's no problem, the only issue is the ratio of color:color.

This article is quite useful...
http://www.nitaleland.com/articles/split.htm

But nothing beats trial and error.

That Vette's looking real good BTW!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36981
07/04/07 08:23 PM
07/04/07 08:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

OK, are you supposed to wax it after polishing?
im using the green tub turtle wax polishing compound with a 10" random polisher and its not shining up nearly as glossy as it was after the paint tried before i wet-sanded it. My final wet-sanding was done with 2000.

If you are using one of these

with Turtlewax polish then you pretty much have no hope of ever getting a good shine from your paint. I seriously doubt that one of those things will even make the paint nervous....

If you want a 'good' finish then you will need a proper polisher and a proper range of cutting compound/swirl remover/polish/synthetic sealant/wax.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36982
07/04/07 08:53 PM
07/04/07 08:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what you see here, is i sanded the roof with 2000, and polished with the turtle wax. the pillar wasn't touched since the final coat, and you can see it has a much nicer shine.

yea my polisher is something like that... some $20 bargain bin unit.

what do i need to get it to shine up decently? is there any way of shinning it up nicely without a $200 buffer?

heres the car, only the roof has been touched since the last coat

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36983
07/05/07 12:14 AM
07/05/07 12:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One Year Later

Well it's been one year since I painted my old 'scort and the wee beastie keeps on purring,

I posted this pic at the time:

I just wanted to comment on how well the Tremclad paint has held up after sitting outside for the last year without protection.

There is some dulling of the paint. However I never did get around to properly finishing the job and I think I only put four or five coats of paint on it. I didn't polish or wax the car and I am quite certain that this paint requires additional protection to hold up for any duration.

I intend to finish the car and sand out some drips and runs I have. These were the result of a thick mixture applied during a heat wave and the paint dried too quickly.

I also intend to put a Tremclad clear on the car rather than trying to polish out the paint. I believe this will give a satisfactory gloss without polishing and provide better protection.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36984
07/05/07 01:05 AM
07/05/07 01:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

69Charger, what kind of buffer/bonnet are you using? Because i notice your getting decent results out of the CT compound.

Would following up with a coat of wax after the polishing compound give it some shine?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36985
07/05/07 03:58 AM
07/05/07 03:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I did this ages ago with my random orbital polisher (similar to a PC 7424), a light cutting pad and Poorboy's SSR2.5 swirl remover. That was about 10 mins work and I did one pass.

This next shot was after using Turtlewax on a polisher similar to yours and I polished for about 20 mins.

I'm not bagging your polishing efforts but if you want to get a 'perfect' finish then you really need to use decent polish and polisher.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36986
07/05/07 02:22 PM
07/05/07 02:22 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69Charger, what kind of buffer/bonnet are you using? Because i notice your getting decent results out of the CT compound.

Would following up with a coat of wax after the polishing compound give it some shine?

I'm using a $15 buffer 10", random orbit 3800rpm, with a terry bonnet, turtle wax polishing coumpound and water. But i agree with aussiedriver, using the right stuff will get better results quicker, i'm just lazy, spent about half a day polishing the final the day after i painted it, and then waxed it when i was done. The shine was good but not as good as aussie's, i'm not a polisher, but i would'nt think it's that hard, espically if you take aussie's advice. i think my results are better just because i have more expirence laying the paint down well. I almost don't have to wetsand after the final coat, actually the beetle was not wetsanded after the final coat at all, and i only polished the roof a bit, got impaitient and put the car together!!!

Here's a pic, i did'nt wetsand after the final coat, it went on very smooth, just did a little polishing:

here's a pic a day or 2 after paint:

if you get the technique down pat, you almost don't have to wetsand after the final coat, just polish, or even go straight to wax, depending on how good of a finish you want. My beetle was better than any macco paint job by far just after the last coat. I did wetsand between coats, and the last wetsand before the final coat was a really good one, perfect surface then straight to paint.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36987
07/05/07 05:05 PM
07/05/07 05:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ive got it to look not too bad, but when you look at it straight on, into the light thats bouncing off it, it looks preety bad.

maybe part of my problem is the bonnet im using... i have no cluse what it is, it came with the buffer.

what do you mean using water to buff? the instructions i read said to just have the surface dry..

heres my equipment... LOL

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36988
07/05/07 06:31 PM
07/05/07 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey all, I joined here to chat about this DIY paint job, which I am interested in. I am taking the summer off from college and I have plenty of free time, so this sounds like a perfect summer project.

The car: 1997 Acura Integra GSR
The photos:

Paint fading and peeling on the front fender

A dent that goes to the metal, use Bondo or knock dent out from the inside?

Paint faded on the hood with etched bird crap

Clearcoat tearing off rear bumper

Paint fading off of spoiler

Paint fading off of passenger quarterpanel

The paint I hope to use (Omni Blue Metallic):

I purchased the following from Home Depot/Lowes/Advance Auto:

3 qts. Paint Thinner w/ Mineral Spirits (though I think I have to return these for 100% Mineral Spirits, since nowhere on the can does it say the amounts of chemicals it contains)
2 4/100 Foam Rollers + Rolling hardware
1 ring of blue painters tape
1 qt. dark grey Primer
1 sheet of 400 grid waterproof sandpaper
1 metal paint spread plate
1 dust mask
1 4"x1" drill attachment sander

What else do I need?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36989
07/05/07 08:13 PM
07/05/07 08:13 PM
smyrna,tn
D
draginmopars Offline
pro stock
draginmopars  Offline
pro stock
D

smyrna,tn
gittin ready to sand and roll solid gray with red ROLL-bar stripes on the skin

Ha-Ha Racin
Havin Fun 101

Howard

68 "Cummins" Satellite
70 W-2 449 "More Door" Dart
70 340 Dart Swinger, 4spd
71 360 Dart Swinger
72 540/ 518 Dart Swinger
73 airwolf 446/a-500 Cuda
73 "Cummins" Crew cab-car hauler
84 446 Dodge Rampage (tube chassis)
92 CTD 11' flat bed
92 CTD club cab
07 Dodge Caliber
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36990
07/05/07 08:22 PM
07/05/07 08:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey all, I joined here to chat about this DIY paint job, which I am interested in. I am taking the summer off from college and I have plenty of free time, so this sounds like a perfect summer project.

The car: 1997 Acura Integra GSR

I purchased the following from Home Depot/Lowes/Advance Auto:

3 qts. Paint Thinner w/ Mineral Spirits (though I think I have to return these for 100% Mineral Spirits, since nowhere on the can does it say the amounts of chemicals it contains)
2 4/100 Foam Rollers + Rolling hardware
1 ring of blue painters tape
1 qt. dark grey Primer
1 sheet of 400 grid waterproof sandpaper
1 metal paint spread plate
1 dust mask
1 4"x1" drill attachment sander

What else do I need?

Heaps more sandpaper. 1 sheet of 400 won't even come close to being enough. Then you should get some 600, 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000 for your between-coats-sanding. Oh and get a sanding block as well. Those drill attachments for sanding have the potential to wreck a lot of good painting.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36991
07/05/07 08:48 PM
07/05/07 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What kind of paint to do you have there is looks metalic?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36992
07/05/07 09:06 PM
07/05/07 09:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello all I have been following this post for some time now and working every weekend to get my project ready for paint .I plan on doing it the brightside way two tone gray ,one part brightside steel grey the other darker mixed with black {formula TBD}
I have a 1936 chevy 5 window master coupe that was media blasted and PPG primmed a long time ago I intend to rough up the PPG primmer and apply the interlux two part epoxy primmer it will act as a filler and is sandable and I dont expect any bonding problems with the paint afterwords.I know it will cost more but I can say I did it myself.
The coupe totally apart works out to approx 26 separate pieces to be painted most can lay flat on a table .
Should be at it some time in May I will post progress pics

Things have changed {big time} since my April post.
I am now going with the tremclad method .I went to home depot and had them scan the brightside paint I had picked out I was going to use tremclad as a base and top the car with brightside.
They could not match the steel gray bright side but the color that came out is a nice dark grey { I like it }
I am in the process of priming the entire car with tremclad primmer they have a new can primmer that fills minor scratches and is sandable.
I hope to be paint some of the body panels this week end.

3612252-DSC01637.JPG (507 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36993
07/05/07 09:12 PM
07/05/07 09:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Heaps more sandpaper. 1 sheet of 400 won't even come close to being enough. Then you should get some 600, 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000 for your between-coats-sanding. Oh and get a sanding block as well. Those drill attachments for sanding have the potential to wreck a lot of good painting.

Yeah I figured I would need a lot of sandpaper, and I will be using a sanding block for them. I only bought the attachment for the initial sanding since I have to strip all of the paint off.

I also borrowed some goggles, and my girlfriend's dad has an air compressor and tools, so if rolling doesn't work I may be spraying.

Quote:

What kind of paint to do you have there is looks metalic?

Just that picture, I am trying to contact the seller but so far no good. Worst comes to worst I can find different paint. It's all about prep time now.

Page 34 of 167 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 166 167