06/28/07 05:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey I'm a NOOB here!!!

I've read the Hot Rod Article and read every single thread from you guys. You all Rock! I was just wondering have any of the "Pro's" with this method have come close to "show car" finish. It seems like the skeptics believe isn't possible. What if you rolled on something like Glisten from POR 15? turning the process in to a two stage job? has anyone tried this yet?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36935
06/28/07 11:15 AM
06/28/07 11:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just thought I'd update...

The flat blue Tremclad custom mix (4:1 flat white/gloss blue) - sprayed on - has been on the car for about 8 or so weeks now, and is rock hard and looking great.

And here's a 'final' (are they ever finished) pic to prove it! [image]http://www.cbodydrydock.com/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]=0[/image]

3596509-daughter.JPG (389 downloads)
Last edited by tonyvan; 06/28/07 11:59 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36936
06/28/07 12:09 PM
06/28/07 12:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36937
06/28/07 12:21 PM
06/28/07 12:21 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36938
06/28/07 08:27 PM
06/28/07 08:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay something interesting came up. As you know I finished my Civic back on page 14 (June 21, 2007).

I've let my car soak in the hot heatwave ever since and today the 28th, I decided to give the car a wash because it was collecting lots of dust and had some bird poop on it.

Before I washed I noticed 3 poops on the car. One was on the hood, passenger door and drivers front fender.

Okay @ the end of my wash I noticed that the poop I thought was there was gone wasn't...The poop was indeed gone but I think the paint "flared"...Its soo weird. That spot looked like a small dent where you would use touch up paint. A small gash in the door panel.

I tried peeling the thing I thought was poop away. It moved. I think my nails scratched past the paint.

So weird eh? I hope I dont get anymore of these cracks...

After I finished I didnt think too much about it because I figure its gonna be gone once I wetsand the car...So it should be a thing of the past.

hmmm

Car is shiny again though after wash

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36939
06/28/07 09:19 PM
06/28/07 09:19 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Okay something interesting came up. As you know I finished my Civic back on page 14 (June 21, 2007).

I've let my car soak in the hot heatwave ever since and today the 28th, I decided to give the car a wash because it was collecting lots of dust and had some bird poop on it.

Before I washed I noticed 3 poops on the car. One was on the hood, passenger door and drivers front fender.

Okay @ the end of my wash I noticed that the poop I thought was there was gone wasn't...The poop was indeed gone but I think the paint "flared"...Its soo weird. That spot looked like a small dent where you would use touch up paint. A small gash in the door panel.

I tried peeling the thing I thought was poop away. It moved. I think my nails scratched past the paint.

After I finished I didnt think too much about it because I figure its gonna be gone once I wetsand the car...So it should be a thing of the past.

hmmm

bird poop is really bad, basically you painted your car 8 days' ago correct??? It takes about a month before the paint is "cured" and i find after 3 months it's rock hard. Durring the first month, you should avoid leaving bird poo on the paint durring a heat wave, that's gotta be the worst thing you can do to any car that has just been painted!!!! bird poo can even ruin old auto paints in the conditions that you have, i had a pickup truck, 2000 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, and it was midnight blue, and a bird shat on the hood. I whiped it off about 2 hours later (it was really hot out) and the factory paint came right off, and it actually eched the primer under the paint. The right bird, and the right poo can really do bad stuff.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36940
06/28/07 09:27 PM
06/28/07 09:27 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
Another question concerning the use of rustoleum primer. I'm going to use the primer because I have some bodywork to cover up, as well as a lot of rust and a couple different colors of body panels. My question is, do you thin the primer the same as you do the paint?

3597724-MyRam1.JPG (217 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: dodgeram440] #36941
06/28/07 09:43 PM
06/28/07 09:43 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Another question concerning the use of rustoleum primer. I'm going to use the primer because I have some bodywork to cover up, as well as a lot of rust and a couple different colors of body panels. My question is, do you thin the primer the same as you do the paint?

I used Rustoleums rusty metal primer on my truck I rolled it straight out of the can, and it went on 10 times better and smoother then the finish paint. It just flat leveled itself out..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: dodgeram440] #36942
06/28/07 10:02 PM
06/28/07 10:02 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I would go straight from the can. This will give you a sufficient build of a primer layer so that you can then do a very very light sanding to smooth the primed surface. Smoothest is bestest.. right.

You could go with an 800 or 1200 wet sanding on the primer layer - but be sure to allow the sanded primer layer sufficient time to dry out fully before laying your first coat of paint on it.

Last edited by Marq; 06/28/07 10:03 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36943
06/28/07 10:41 PM
06/28/07 10:41 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
Thanks guys. I had another question also, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Sucks getting old!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36944
06/28/07 11:01 PM
06/28/07 11:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

hmmm

bird poop is really bad, basically you painted your car 8 days' ago correct??? It takes about a month before the paint is "cured" and i find after 3 months it's rock hard. Durring the first month, you should avoid leaving bird poo on the paint durring a heat wave, that's gotta be the worst thing you can do to any car that has just been painted!!!! bird poo can even ruin old auto paints in the conditions that you have, i had a pickup truck, 2000 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, and it was midnight blue, and a bird shat on the hood. I whiped it off about 2 hours later (it was really hot out) and the factory paint came right off, and it actually eched the primer under the paint. The right bird, and the right poo can really do bad stuff.

Ah crap. I should have taken care of the car more then. I had no idea how bird poop could peel off paint. Darnit. I guess you live and learn. That was a new experience for me.

I will wash the car regularly then. I am going to baby the car better. Probably will make it a routine to wash the car every week to prevent this stuff from happening.

After I wetsand in a month, it'll be gone because its not a big gash. Its like a small stone chip size...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36945
06/28/07 11:49 PM
06/28/07 11:49 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Ah crap. I should have taken care of the car more then. I had no idea how bird poop could peel off paint. Darnit. I guess you live and learn. That was a new experience for me.

Bird poop is seriously nasty stuff for any paint job... and it can also do a real number waxed bodies... The enzymes in the poo eat away at just about anything...

And when you have poo sitting on a car that is out in the sun.. the poo becomes a sort of concentrator of the heat delivered by the sun. So instead of the body panel being able to dissipate the heat evenly.. it instead concentrates it in one spot.. causing damage to whatever is beneath the poo. Just imagine this to better understand what I am saying... The sun beating down on your car is something the paint was designed to handle... BUT if you used a magnifying glass to concentrate the heat on one spot it will cause damage ( in the same way as an ant can walk around under the sun but it pops and explodes when a magnifying glass concentrates the sun's rays directly on it ).

Sadly I have flocks of Cardinals that fly and poop around my house. And they seem to particularly love eating berries. It's almost bad enough that I would be tempted to buy one of those car covers just to cut down on the crap that falls out of the sky.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36946
06/29/07 01:00 PM
06/29/07 01:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I would go straight from the can. This will give you a sufficient build of a primer layer so that you can then do a very very light sanding to smooth the primed surface. Smoothest is bestest.. right.

You could go with an 800 or 1200 wet sanding on the primer layer - but be sure to allow the sanded primer layer sufficient time to dry out fully before laying your first coat of paint on it.

Ahhh. I'm really glad the primer question came up. I've been puzzling over this too, since I have a lot of spot bodywork to do. I don't have any rust -- just some dents and dings.

So, given that, how would you guys rank -- or comment on -- the following options for spot bodywork / primering?

Preparation: Remove paint to bare metal, do metal work and bondo work. Now...

Option 1 : Spray a 2K primer with a Preval sprayer.
Questions: When I read about these products, it's always being discussed by professionals and they always default to 2 steps: First PRIMER then PRIMER/SURFACER. Is this necessary?

Option 2 : Roll on a primer specifically made for rolling such as PPG's or U-POL.
Questions: Sounds great at first, but when you read the literature, it looks like these are primer surfacers. They suggest applying an etch primer to bare steel first. Hmmm. Sounds like 2 steps and 2 different types of primer again... Or -- is my bondo coat the first (DTM) layer so I don't have to worry about this?

Option 3 : Roll on Rustoleum or Interlux primer.
Questions: Wondering it this stuff will work well over the bondo and not just soak in. As well, drying times will be longer (than the catylyzed options above) -- which make it a little more of a pain. Especially concerned about it not being fully dry or not drying properly if it sinks into the bondo which might trap solvents deep down...

Thanks in advance -- Dan.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36947
06/29/07 01:40 PM
06/29/07 01:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I had a mix of some light skims of bondo, some bare metal, some scuffed paint, and chrome.

Some of it I spraybomed with Rustoleum/Tremclad primer, some of it I mixed and sprayed with straight Tremclad primer (=the stuff you'd roll), and yet other areas I spraybombed with Duplicolor Primer. Generally I used more Rustoleum than Duplicolor, and all the bonodo was covered by Rustoleum, and it didn't sink in. That said, the bondo was no more than a skim in any of the areas, so there wasn't much to sink into...

Anyway, some of it was White primer, most was grey, and bit was even black (I should say that I did the bodywork over a period of time, and the patchwork of primers was simply because I wanted some paint on the thing to save it from being in bare metal). None of it was Primer/Surfacer.

Anyway, when I came to paint the car - using Rustoleum/Tremclad, the paintjob itself kind of spread from 'I'll just do a test patch' to 'I might as well keep going', and consequently, I went over the whole mess of different surfaces, totally forgetting that I 'should' have used a surfacer.

But - I had no adhesion problems, no flaking, nothing.

The only thing I can say is that each and every bit of primer was totally cured (at least 20 days) before I painted the thing, which probably helped.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36948
06/29/07 05:53 PM
06/29/07 05:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Ahhh. I'm really glad the primer question came up. I've been puzzling over this too, since I have a lot of spot bodywork to do. I don't have any rust -- just some dents and dings.

So, given that, how would you guys rank -- or comment on -- the following options for spot bodywork / primering?

Preparation: Remove paint to bare metal, do metal work and bondo work. Now...

Option 1 : Spray a 2K primer with a Preval sprayer.
Questions: When I read about these products, it's always being discussed by professionals and they always default to 2 steps: First PRIMER then PRIMER/SURFACER. Is this necessary?

Option 2 : Roll on a primer specifically made for rolling such as PPG's or U-POL.
Questions: Sounds great at first, but when you read the literature, it looks like these are primer surfacers. They suggest applying an etch primer to bare steel first. Hmmm. Sounds like 2 steps and 2 different types of primer again... Or -- is my bondo coat the first (DTM) layer so I don't have to worry about this?

Option 3 : Roll on Rustoleum or Interlux primer.
Questions: Wondering it this stuff will work well over the bondo and not just soak in. As well, drying times will be longer (than the catylyzed options above) -- which make it a little more of a pain. Especially concerned about it not being fully dry or not drying properly if it sinks into the bondo which might trap solvents deep down...

Thanks in advance -- Dan.

Honestly the easiest thing to do if you're only doing spot repairs (don't need to prime the entire car) is just to use a spray can primer. If you have a lot of deep sanding scratches, tiny pinholes in body filler, or other imperfections you can shoot it with a primer/surfacer and sand it smooth. Seems like most of the ones you find in a can are lacquer based so there probably won't be a compatibility issue with your Rustoleum. The Rustoleum primer in a gallon can is *extremely* high in solids, and takes a lot longer to cure than a spray primer. On the other hand, it covers like crazy . If you use it out of the can, you'll get full coverage in one coat (at least I have).

Over the years I've burned up a lot of rattle can primer, and my favorite brand now is SEM. You won't find it in many regular auto parts stores, but most shops that sell auto body paint and supplies will usually have their stuff. It's not super cheap, but it's really good stuff. I'm a really big fan of their self-etching primer. Their primer/surfacer is really good too. Everyone has their own favorite though...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36949
06/29/07 07:39 PM
06/29/07 07:39 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Hindsight always being 20-20 I wish I'd primed the complete truck before I started to paint.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36950
06/29/07 07:42 PM
06/29/07 07:42 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
this is how it looks today.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36951
06/29/07 10:33 PM
06/29/07 10:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

my friend said to wet sand with 400 grit then put another coat of paint on it .

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36952
06/29/07 11:50 PM
06/29/07 11:50 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
I've got a fender to replace the rusted out one on my truck (see pic in the post above) that I stripped to bare metal, then welded the emblem holes and ground those down smooth. So far there is only three spots that just need a light skim coat of bondo to clean this fender up. I'll know more after I do some block sanding. I'm using some rustoleum spray can primer for my block sanding cause it's cheap and it works. Once I get the fender looking good, I'll roll on the rusto primer to seal it up good. As for the rest of the truck, I'm not going to strip it like I did the fender, but I am going to sand it all real good, and do the same light bondo and spray can primer on the various area that need some massaging, then roll the whole truck with the primer, then paint. What do you all think? I'm also concidering doing a two-tone paint, but I'm not sure what colors. Any suggestions?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: dodgeram440] #36953
07/02/07 10:54 AM
07/02/07 10:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If I want a color that Rustoleum doesn't come in, and I have the color made, i.e., the store has to mix in pigments and then SHAKE IT to mix the pigments thoroughly into the base, how long will I have to wait before I can expect the bubbles in it to dissipate and I can roll it on? Can I just stir it instead and expect the pigment to mix well enough? Anyone with experience with this? Thanks

Page 32 of 167 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 166 167