Page 31 of 167 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 166 167
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: DavidP] #36914
06/26/07 05:53 PM
06/26/07 05:53 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Just came in from the garage. Spent a few more hours sanding, and just finished the 3rd coat. The first section was a bit too thick. I thinned it down a bit more and the rest went really good.

I found out that if it is taking it a while to bring out the bubbles, thin it down a bit more. It really helps and it seemed to let me work the bigger sections longer.

Here is the 3rd coat picture:

3592778-coat3.JPG (609 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36915
06/26/07 05:58 PM
06/26/07 05:58 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State

And here is a smooth reflection picture:

3592787-reflect.JPG (639 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: QuickDodge] #36916
06/26/07 07:05 PM
06/26/07 07:05 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq or 69 DartGT. Any idea on how long it took to repolish the paint?

I am not sure where the 'repolish' is beginning from in your question. I have had two 'repolishing' points in the life of my paint job.

The initial repolish occured when all the painting was finished and the final wetsanding was done to that final coat of paint. I then went with my Porter Cable 7424 and used rubbing compound. I believe I worked each panel about 1 hour each. I really wanted to go for the maximum smoothness that I could achieve. I probably took about 15 minutes per panel when applying and buffing out the Carnuba wax that went on.

The second repolishing happened about 10 months after the car was initially finished. The car had sat outside all winter, exposed to the cold, the ice and the wet. I pulled out the trusty Porter Cable 7424 and used it to apply carnuba wax. I worked it for about 10 minutes per panel. Once the wax hazed I just buffed it out. Technically this was more of a 'waxing' stage then a polishiing stage ( but some people don't differentiate between the meaning of polishing and waxing ).

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: DavidP] #36917
06/26/07 07:16 PM
06/26/07 07:16 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

For some of the Canadian members ...
The best price I've seen is the Canadian Tire Simoniz 7-in. Sander & Waxer, at $99.00, with the 'Porter Cable'polishers going for $199.99 & $219.99

Has a lot more power than I'll ever use ...

You are in Toronto. It was the Toronto Corvette owners that tipped me off about the REFURBED Porter Cable random orbital sanders that could be picked up for $125 at the 'repair depot' for warantee repairs of Black & Decker/Dewalt and Porter Cable products. Based on the info from the Toronto Vette owners.. I found one of the Porter Cable repair depots here in Ottawa on Laperriere Street. I picked on up for $125 and it came with a one year full replacement warranty.

So the hint we gave people a fair while back was to try to locate the nearest service and repair warranty place to their location and see if they can get their hands on one of these 'refurbed' unit.

You can locate the nearest 'warranty and repair' depot for servicing the Porter & Cable polishers by going to the P & C web site and look around it for where the nearest repair and warranty depot is to your location. Possibly you could cheat by opening up one of the P & C boxes at a regular retail store like Home Depot and checking the warranty and servicing information they provide on the pamphlet in the box

It was worth also noting that not all units returned to the refurb shop are 'used' or 'abused'. The chap at the location in Ottawa was telling me that most of his units were simply returned from the retailers because parts had been taken from the boxes - and so they send them back to these guys. They simply bag the units and add the missing parts - and put them out for sale at their repair depot.

Since you are in Toronto you definitely have access to the refurbs down there. The only problem might be that all the Vette owners in Toronto are also snapping up the refurb units down there

Last edited by Marq; 06/26/07 07:22 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36918
06/26/07 07:32 PM
06/26/07 07:32 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
I have been watching closely the logs on the web server where I posted the pictures of the McLaren. It is AMAZING how many other web sites and message forums are linking to those pictures. One nice thing is that the server logs tell me exactly where the linking to my pictures are coming from.

So I have been following some of those hyperlinks back to where the pictures were inserted into other discussions about the roller painting method.

What I discovered is that there are literally hundreds of other discussions going on about the roller painting method. But what I ENJOYED the most was seeing all these other vehicles that are being roller painted and blogged on those other web sites.

More Mustangs, trucks, sports cars, Mopars, Fiats, British sportscars etc... the number of works in progress and finished projects is truly amazing.

This message thread could easily quadruple in size if all those other bloggers pop in and post up their pictures here...

So even though we have a farily large number of works in progress and finished here.. we may only be the tip of the iceberg of 'roller painters anonymous'

This 'roller' thing may be spreading even faster than we might have originally thought...

I can't wait til some of them come home to roost here and share their pics... and folks just might be amazed 'what' are being painted out there...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36919
06/26/07 10:34 PM
06/26/07 10:34 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

So even though we have a farily large number of works in progress and finished here.. we may only be the tip of the iceberg of 'roller painters anonymous'

This 'roller' thing may be spreading even faster than we might have originally thought...

Its really amazing to think of how far this has gone. This has washed over the internet to the point that in a year or so your average Joe might not look at you cross-eyed when you say you are going to roller-paint your car.

And I think all of us originally had that "WHHAATT??" attitude when we heard about it.

One other thing that is also amazing is the "brand-neutral" attitude of everyone on these threads for 300+ pages. There's VERY few places that enthusiasts of any make and model can come together, show their ride, and not receive any bashing because they have a brand X or brand Y vehicle.

We all share a common goal and a common bond, regardless of the ride (or even refrigerator, going way back) that we are painting.

On a side note - my 70+ year old father-in-law (who lives in the boonies of northern Michigan) last week declared he was going to start roller painting stuff in general with "Boat Paint". "I heard you can just roll it on and it levels out and it dries hard, and looks like it was sprayed".

I about fell off my chair when he said that.

Roll On!

Last edited by Steve C.; 06/26/07 10:36 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36920
06/27/07 01:21 AM
06/27/07 01:21 AM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
I just got in from the garage and I kid you not, I had 8 different groups of people stop by just to see the rolled paint on the vette. It was worth all $12 I got into it so far...

At work yesterday, I had to keep showing the co-workers the pictures on the computer. One of them just painted his son's Jeep and had $380 into the basic paint alone. He had to stop by yesterday to see this process. (I think I got him hooked for next time.)

Steve C, I was just on the HotRod.com web site and they had a non-roller paint guy complaining.

Quote from a post:

Quote from the non-roller:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"good paint job for $98" is an oxymoron."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the reply:

"Think so? If you're ever in the L.A. area, stop by the shop and take a look.
You'd be surprised how many don't believe it was roller painted, and believe me this was an overly rushed job. It could be done much better.

Naysayers, please re-read the feature. Never once do we assert that this is a show-winning paint job, or one that looks like basecoat/clear. At best, it looks like 60's-70's era basic enamel. (But, I once paid $1500.00 buck for a professional acrylic enamel paint job.) Is it perfect? Not even close. Have I seen worse paint jobs that cost 40 times as much? Absolutely.

Why did we use a $200.00 Falcon? Because there were no plans to ever make the car worthy of a 2-$3000+ paint job (Sound like any of your projects?). Its tentative future was simply as a fun, economical little driver with minimal investment. It had rust, it was faded, heavily oxidized, cracked and peeling, and it didn’t match all over. Now, it’s a very respectable looking car that actually gets compliments and inspires people to share stories. Not bad for $25.00.

What’s the worst case scenario? If you don’t like it, just sand it off.

Anyone that wants to give it a shot and has questions is welcome to send me a PM. I’ll answer to the best of my abilities."

--------------------
Christopher Campbell
Associate Editor
HOT ROD Magazine

I hope everyone is having as much fun rollin it on like I have.

He also e-mailed me:

Looks cool so far, I even like the unbuffed finish. I think it's great that you're getting your son out there and getting his hands dirty on his first car- he'll appreciate it much more when it's done. I should know, that's what my dad did with me.
Good luck with the paint job, just remember to keep a coat of wax on it and it should last just fine.

He is a pretty cool guy...

- Roadster

Source:
( http://forums.hotrod.com/70/1455267/general-topics/get-a-good-paint-job-for-98/page2.html )

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36921
06/27/07 08:29 AM
06/27/07 08:29 AM
Ohio
69stanger Offline
69stanger  Offline

Ohio
I've been following this thread and watching everyones progress. In fact my neighbor has recently sprayed his beater chevy pickup with green rustoleum after we discussed the roll method a couple months ago. It looks great. He just wanted it to look decent and have one color. There is a thread in the classic forums of stangnet with impressive results from spraying. Unfortunately, I'm not ready to paint my stang yet, I have a lot of fab work yet to do. When I'm done though, I will be rolling rustoleum on the mustang. I think most critics of the method are of the opinion that spraying expensive paint is the only way to get a durable long lasting finish on a car. They are stuck in a paradigm. This thread and others like it across the web are helping to shift that paradigm. Thanks all

Freedom Of Speed!
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69stanger] #36922
06/27/07 09:15 AM
06/27/07 09:15 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

I think most critics of the method are of the opinion that spraying expensive paint is the only way to get a durable long lasting finish on a car. They are stuck in a paradigm.

Upon reading the Hot Rod thread linked above, I completely agree. With some folks, there seems to be a level of insecurity with the thought of spending less than a couple grand for a paint job. I'm terribly sorry if I've threatened anyone's manhood, but I'm thrilled by the possibility that with little more than patience and hard work, my finish has the potential to look as good as theirs.

I'm fully aware that it's not for everyone... but at least by trying it, I'll have earned the right to knock it unlike many of these paint-spraying naysayers.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36923
06/27/07 09:57 AM
06/27/07 09:57 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

Its really amazing to think of how far this has gone. This has washed over the internet to the point that in a year or so your average Joe might not look at you cross-eyed when you say you are going to roller-paint your car.

And I think all of us originally had that "WHHAATT??" attitude when we heard about it.

One other thing that is also amazing is the "brand-neutral" attitude of everyone on these threads for 300+ pages. There's VERY few places that enthusiasts of any make and model can come together, show their ride, and not receive any bashing because they have a brand X or brand Y vehicle.

We all share a common goal and a common bond, regardless of the ride (or even refrigerator, going way back) that we are painting.

On a side note - my 70+ year old father-in-law (who lives in the boonies of northern Michigan) last week declared he was going to start roller painting stuff in general with "Boat Paint". "I heard you can just roll it on and it levels out and it dries hard, and looks like it was sprayed".

I about fell off my chair when he said that.

Roll On!

amen to that

i get on average about a kabillion (that's a new # that exceeds 10000000000000!!!) emails a day, and i answer all of them!!!. People add me on msn, and my photobucket acount maxes out every week, steady for the last year. I did a google search for "$50 paint job" and the results are huge, it's all over the net!!! You'd also be supprised of the number of local people that email me asking me to paint their cars, i get about 2 a week, all type of cars, i've even been offered several times to have my flight and accomondations paid for to paint other cars in the US!!!

I also get alot of people telling me that i should have made a dvd, and sold it online, and that i could have made a killing. But it's not why i shared this with all you guys, it's to help everyone out, and that there is allways a different way to get awesome results without having to spend huge $$$$ to get them. I do everything myself, interior, headliners, tranny's, engines, paint, everything i can to save $$$ and spend more on parts, and i drive the crap out of my cars.

I think it's cool to see all the brands of cars, i'm a car guy, not a mopar nut (sorry moparts ) but it's true, i like all cars (typically older ones). Heck i sold my charger, and i'm having a blast with my speedster, and my bug. But i can apprecieate all the other brands even though i may not own one, i still like talking to the owners about our old cars, how we brought them back from the dead, and saved another old car without breaking the wallet. There's nothing (at least to me) that's more gratifying than driving a car YOU built, and YOU painted down the road. Not a car you HAD painted for you, that does nothing for me.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: DavidP] #36924
06/27/07 11:04 AM
06/27/07 11:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The best price I've seen is the Canadian Tire Simoniz 7-in. Sander & Waxer, at $99.00, with the 'Porter Cable'polishers going for $199.99 & $219.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/subcat...D=1182888256756

It needs a lil more power still. It's a decent price. I wouldnt call it a steal...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36925
06/27/07 11:05 AM
06/27/07 11:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

You are in Toronto. It was the Toronto Corvette owners that tipped me off about the REFURBED Porter Cable random orbital sanders that could be picked up for $125 at the 'repair depot' for warantee repairs of Black & Decker/Dewalt and Porter Cable products. Based on the info from the Toronto Vette owners.. I found one of the Porter Cable repair depots here in Ottawa on Laperriere Street. I picked on up for $125 and it came with a one year full replacement warranty.

So the hint we gave people a fair while back was to try to locate the nearest service and repair warranty place to their location and see if they can get their hands on one of these 'refurbed' unit.

You can locate the nearest 'warranty and repair' depot for servicing the Porter & Cable polishers by going to the P & C web site and look around it for where the nearest repair and warranty depot is to your location. Possibly you could cheat by opening up one of the P & C boxes at a regular retail store like Home Depot and checking the warranty and servicing information they provide on the pamphlet in the box

It was worth also noting that not all units returned to the refurb shop are 'used' or 'abused'. The chap at the location in Ottawa was telling me that most of his units were simply returned from the retailers because parts had been taken from the boxes - and so they send them back to these guys. They simply bag the units and add the missing parts - and put them out for sale at their repair depot.

Since you are in Toronto you definitely have access to the refurbs down there. The only problem might be that all the Vette owners in Toronto are also snapping up the refurb units down there

I'm gonna have to try this out! Thanks Marq

BTW: Roll on paint lovers, ROLL ON!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36926
06/27/07 06:31 PM
06/27/07 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I came upon this method thru "StumbleUpon" not sure how many of you know what that is but it's a Web community of sorts. Anyway I Stumbled on the page that one guy made detailing how he rollered his Corvair with this method. Thankfully he was grateful enough to Charger and others to add a link to this thread for me to continue my research. That was back when Part 1 was still going. I have completed the paint on the Probe but ran out of time on Vacation last week to finish sanding and buffing her. I'll post pics when she's all done. But Like all of you I know it works and it works awesome!! The parts that are done are beautiful!! One of the things I find so really cool about this thread is that most of the veterans of the process still hang around and keep up to answer questions. You guys are all so awesome for taking your time to help the newcomers get it right. Myself included. Following your lead I intend to hang around as well. I feel there is nothing more powerful here than to see those with experience giving honest and on the money answers to the questions of the new guys. Roll On Brothers!!!!

BTW: Quite a while back one of you guys came up with a "Fraternal Order of Rollers" graphic. If anyone knows a way to get that graphic turned into a vinyl sticker I'd love to see some made for us to put on our rides. I'd obviously be willing to pay for one if someone can get them made.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36927
06/27/07 06:42 PM
06/27/07 06:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay, I'm buckling under the pressure(in my own mind) to post a couple pics of the "done" parts. here's how the old Probe Looks "so far".

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36928
06/27/07 07:07 PM
06/27/07 07:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Okay, I'm buckling under the pressure(in my own mind) to post a couple pics of the "done" parts. here's how the old Probe Looks "so far".

Looks very nice Probe! What paint did you use?

Any bigger pictures? I love it!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36929
06/27/07 07:10 PM
06/27/07 07:10 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Dude - that is awesome!

Congrats!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36930
06/27/07 07:18 PM
06/27/07 07:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Looks very nice Probe! What paint did you use?

Any bigger pictures? I love it!

That, My friend, is good Ol' Rustoleum Professional!! I'll post some bigger pics when she's all finished up. I had these on the computer here at work to show my coworkers.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #36931
06/27/07 07:35 PM
06/27/07 07:35 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

I also get alot of people telling me that i should have made a dvd, and sold it online, and that i could have made a killing. But it's not why i shared this with all you guys, it's to help everyone out, and that there is allways a different way to get awesome results without having to spend huge $$$$ to get them.

The idea of a DVD is interesting, but it would probably cost a lot more to create something that was not painful to watch than you might think..

I think we should get the guy that did the www.rollyourcar.com website to add a link for a paypal account link for you for donations. (Sorry dude - I forgot who you were and the thread is too big to find you)

How many of us have saved THOUSANDS of $'s because of this, or had rides that would never have looked good because we couldn't afford it.

I, for one, would be happy to make my $50 paint job a $70 paint job by donating 20 bucks. I think that everyone that's rolled their car, stood back, and went "Holy Crap!" would feel the same way.

Obviously, 69chargeryeehaw, you don't need to respond to this, but I think we all owe something to you more than "great idea! thanks!".

With the wide variety of people here from other forums, the link would be posted everywhere.

My

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #36932
06/27/07 08:28 PM
06/27/07 08:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My second till last coat, tomorrow needs to come quicker so I can finally finish and put my last coat on the body... then I have to wait a few days to make it shine! (aka time for rest finally)...

Then I need to start all over again ripping off the doors and doing major bodywork and lot of painting.. yay =/

Last edited by TehMike; 06/27/07 08:31 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36933
06/27/07 08:50 PM
06/27/07 08:50 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

I also get alot of people telling me that i should have made a dvd, and sold it online, and that i could have made a killing. But it's not why i shared this with all you guys, it's to help everyone out, and that there is allways a different way to get awesome results without having to spend huge $$$$ to get them.

The idea of a DVD is interesting, but it would probably cost a lot more to create something that was not painful to watch than you might think..

I think we should get the guy that did the www.rollyourcar.com website to add a link for a paypal account link for you for donations. (Sorry dude - I forgot who you were and the thread is too big to find you)

How many of us have saved THOUSANDS of $'s because of this, or had rides that would never have looked good because we couldn't afford it.

I, for one, would be happy to make my $50 paint job a $70 paint job by donating 20 bucks. I think that everyone that's rolled their car, stood back, and went "Holy Crap!" would feel the same way.

Obviously, 69chargeryeehaw, you don't need to respond to this, but I think we all owe something to you more than "great idea! thanks!".

With the wide variety of people here from other forums, the link would be posted everywhere.

My

I've actually professionally produced dvd's for customers, but i have my own business in computers/networks, and spent the first 8 yrs or so of my career as a millwright, repairing industrial CNC's and automated assembly equipment. So producing a dvd is right up my alley, but i'm not looking to profit from this at all, i'd be happier with a pat on the back!!!! That's what the true brotherhood is about, not $$$$.

Ok i'm done being a woman, before i cry i'm gonna go have a beer!!!!!!!!!!

Page 31 of 167 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 166 167