06/15/07 01:35 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

good info Marq, gives me confidence that this will look sweet in the end.

BTW: Just curious, how does Brightside hold up to rust? For example if you painted on top some rust, would it seal the rust from spreading like POR15 or rustoleum?

I believe that the Brightside works well covering and sealing rust from getting oxygen and moisture. The key would be to remove any surface rust prior to painting. So that there isn't an intermediary surface between the paint and the actual metal surface. If you simply paint over the surface rust.. it may become the weakpoint where the paint could separate and flake off or crack and allow moisture and oxygen to enter through the paint crack and get access to the metal surface ( triggering the production of more rust ).

I imagine rust in two stages :

a ) surface rust stage... where the metal has been exposed to air and moisture.. rust forms on the surface. This is like the earliest stage of rust on exposed metals. In this situation you sand off the rust and the paint should have good adhesion to the pitted ( but clean ) surface. The polyurathane properties of the paint will displace any moisture and seal out oxygen and moisture from reaching the metal surface. No oxygen and no moisture equals an environment where rust cannot live.

b ) metal has turned to rock type stage... where the metal has lost its metalic traits. It's no longer a flexible / bendable metal. This is where the rust is like a rock or piece of shale and can be flaked off or broken like a thin stone. At this point it is better to cut this type of cancer out of the metal as it no longer has the properties of metal. At best.. paint would only serve to glue together the other surfaces.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36755
06/15/07 03:38 AM
06/15/07 03:38 AM
BC Canada
62440 Offline
enthusiast
62440  Offline
enthusiast

BC Canada
I want to try spraying my hood with Tremclad. How much would you thin the paint ???

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 62440] #36756
06/15/07 10:36 AM
06/15/07 10:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When I sprayed mine, I thinned it 1:4 (spirit:paint), and it went on fine. That was with a siphon feed gun (i.e. not an HVLP).

I used Tremclad paint and Home Depot own-brand Mineral Spirits for thinning. Filtered the paint using a Lordco strainer (30c each). It actually looked too thin to me, but I did it anyway, and it worked great.

It sprayed real easy on the hood/trunk surfaces with no sags/drips etc. (The fact that the surfaces were horizontal helps, of course).

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36757
06/15/07 10:49 AM
06/15/07 10:49 AM
P
plum500 Offline
plum500  Offline
P

Anyone try this?
Rustoleum Industrial Acrylic Hardener

The softness of this paint is still bothering me...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: plum500] #36758
06/15/07 10:58 AM
06/15/07 10:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I really wouldn't worry about 'softness'. Mine's been in paint for about 6 weeks now.

Yesterday, I got a call from my wife, asking if the hood had always had a chip in it....(yeah, of course it has....that's how I painted it... )

Turns out she'd dropped a 2lb stainless steel lamp onto the hood, and according to her 'chipped' the paint.

When I got home, I checked it, and there was indeed, a 1/2 inch scratch.
It was barely noticeable, and right by a pintripe anyway, so I was able to break out the Mack and add a stripe to cover it.

Anyway, point is that the paint had not dented, dinged, or gouged, it had scratched exactly like any other cured auto paint would. I sprayed about 4 coats on that hood, so it wasn't thick, but it sure wasn't a thin coat either.

It's only enamel paint. Most cast iron bath tubs are finished (and re-finished) in enamels, and they are known for their hardness!

My experience - and the experiences of many others here - is that the stuff dries hard and solid.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36759
06/15/07 01:01 PM
06/15/07 01:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

good info Marq, gives me confidence that this will look sweet in the end.

BTW: Just curious, how does Brightside hold up to rust? For example if you painted on top some rust, would it seal the rust from spreading like POR15 or rustoleum?

I believe that the Brightside works well covering and sealing rust from getting oxygen and moisture. The key would be to remove any surface rust prior to painting. So that there isn't an intermediary surface between the paint and the actual metal surface. If you simply paint over the surface rust.. it may become the weakpoint where the paint could separate and flake off or crack and allow moisture and oxygen to enter through the paint crack and get access to the metal surface ( triggering the production of more rust ).

I imagine rust in two stages :

a ) surface rust stage... where the metal has been exposed to air and moisture.. rust forms on the surface. This is like the earliest stage of rust on exposed metals. In this situation you sand off the rust and the paint should have good adhesion to the pitted ( but clean ) surface. The polyurathane properties of the paint will displace any moisture and seal out oxygen and moisture from reaching the metal surface. No oxygen and no moisture equals an environment where rust cannot live.

b ) metal has turned to rock type stage... where the metal has lost its metalic traits. It's no longer a flexible / bendable metal. This is where the rust is like a rock or piece of shale and can be flaked off or broken like a thin stone. At this point it is better to cut this type of cancer out of the metal as it no longer has the properties of metal. At best.. paint would only serve to glue together the other surfaces.

Cool to hear. Brightside feels really hard so I guess it can seal rust.

What I had was some body rust. So I sanded down to metal, and bondo'ed the area. Hopefully it wont come back for 2-3 years.

BTW: Just did my 5th coat today and its now baking in the sun. My dad probably over-rolled some spots because some of them are not gloss black. It seems a little hazed, very different from the rest. He likes to over-roll sometimes. Thats fine because we still have a ways to go. We are gonna wetsand after tomorrow which will be the 3rd coat in a row. Hopefully we can get away with it. Orange peel isn't overly thick yet.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36760
06/15/07 02:34 PM
06/15/07 02:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi Everyone! I'm over here from Turbobricks.com. We deal in the world of Turbo RWD Volvo's.

Anyway, like millions of others, I have followed and read the thread for a long time. I went ahead and painted my car this way. It looks great! I painted it Sunburst Yellow. I just thought I would share the results with you!

Here's the pictures.

The car still needs to be polished with polishing compound, but it's now just drying and hardening after the 2000 grit wet sand.

Before pictures:

Tell me what you think!

Last edited by mwveenhu; 06/15/07 02:40 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: plum500] #36761
06/15/07 03:43 PM
06/15/07 03:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Anyone try this?
Rustoleum Industrial Acrylic Hardener

The softness of this paint is still bothering me...

Interesting. Doesn't appear to be the usual alkyd enamel hardener...doesn't appear to use isocyonates as the catalyst. The MSDS says you can use an organic vapor respirator with good ventilation, but recommends a positive pressure respirator. If you're just rolling and not spraying (no atomized particles) a regular organic vapor respirator would be OK I think. I've never used this product, but I've used regular hardener, and it speeds up the curing time dramatically. It takes hours to cure "dry to the touch". Leave it in the sun for a few days and it's hard as a rock. It's really nasty stuff though...read the MSDS. Not something to play with if you don't want to take safety precautions.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36762
06/15/07 03:50 PM
06/15/07 03:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice job mwveenhu...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36763
06/15/07 05:44 PM
06/15/07 05:44 PM
socal
S
s4dustin Offline
s4dustin  Offline
S

socal
I have decided to do my 68 camaro.
a few questions:
1. it is currently primered black, how much do i need to sand the car before applying the first coat of paint?
2. Afer I sand the primer, I clean it with a tack cloth and M.S., Correct?
3. Apply the paint of choice, any polyurethane (rusolem, boat paint, etc.)

I have the steps down beyone this....

thanks,

Dustin

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: s4dustin] #36764
06/15/07 05:57 PM
06/15/07 05:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

a few questions:
1. it is currently primered black, how much do i need to sand the car before applying the first coat of paint?

thanks,

Dustin

1. You want to get it to about 320 grit(some use 400 grit).

2. Wash it with soap and water when you are ready to paint then wipe it down with a rag soaked with M.S. then just before you paint wipe it down with a tack cloth.

3. Yes, apply the paint of choice, Rust Stop enamel(Rustoleum, Tremclad) or the single part boat paints(Brightside and others).

Good Luck!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36765
06/15/07 06:16 PM
06/15/07 06:16 PM
socal
S
s4dustin Offline
s4dustin  Offline
S

socal
Quote:

Quote:

a few questions:

thanks,

Dustin

1. You want to get it to about 320 grit(some use 400 grit).

So, sand the entire area with 400 grit until smooth, correct?

Thanks,

Now i am just looking for a nice deep blue

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: s4dustin] #36766
06/15/07 06:18 PM
06/15/07 06:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yep, sand it all smooth wash 'er up, wipe 'er down, and roll on!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36767
06/15/07 06:22 PM
06/15/07 06:22 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Hi

Anyway, like millions of others, I have followed and read the thread for a long time. I went ahead and painted my car this way. It looks great! I painted it Sunburst Yellow. I just thought I would share the results with you!
Tell me what you think!

I think that Sunburst yellow color looks surprizingly nice on a Volvo wagon. Most folks tend to have very subdued and earthly colors on their 'bricks'. So that yellow makes the car seem surpisingly current modelish. The tinted windows and wheels really make it pop.

If that car was an older woman... you just succeeded in making her look 20 years younger.

Marq.

Last edited by Marq; 06/15/07 06:23 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36768
06/15/07 08:41 PM
06/15/07 08:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well I decided to go out and buy some Penetrol and give it a try (its a bit pricey $15 for a smallish tin)

But I seem to be having a nice differance.. I didnt do mixed ratios I just added it till it seemed right but it had a nice effect on my painting.

Almost no orange peal- all ill really have to wet sand out is light roller lines.

Last edited by TehMike; 06/15/07 08:50 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36769
06/15/07 08:54 PM
06/15/07 08:54 PM
Massachusetts
Faust Offline
top fuel
Faust  Offline
top fuel

Massachusetts
Power sanding with 2000 grit. I am a little addicted to air tools and was wondering about a sander for the final coat with wet 2000. I think 3M is the only compay to make 2000 in orbital discs, and crazy expensive. Any recommendations? Just a jitterbug?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Faust] #36770
06/15/07 09:20 PM
06/15/07 09:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Power sanding with 2000 grit. I am a little addicted to air tools and was wondering about a sander for the final coat with wet 2000. I think 3M is the only compay to make 2000 in orbital discs, and crazy expensive. Any recommendations? Just a jitterbug?

Back on one of the other parts of this thread I recomended the Nortan Norax system for colorsanding.
you can use the pads on a fine stroke d/a..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36771
06/15/07 09:41 PM
06/15/07 09:41 PM
socal
S
s4dustin Offline
s4dustin  Offline
S

socal
rustoelum has an aluminum color, has anyone used it?

and is the general consenus Penetrol over M.S.?

tomorrow is the day..i was thinking of doing the satin black primer until I saw the alumunium color....i wanted blue but cant find the right color

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: s4dustin] #36772
06/15/07 10:01 PM
06/15/07 10:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Im using my normal batch of paint that is about 30% - 40% Mineral Spirits and just added a few little splashes (maybe 10%-20%?) of Penetrol, not sure if their supost to be together but i don't seem to be having any problems.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: s4dustin] #36773
06/15/07 10:25 PM
06/15/07 10:25 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Remember Penetrol is an additive not a thinner or reducer like M.S. Penetrol helps the paint flow but is not a thinner.

Page 23 of 167 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 166 167