06/13/07 12:49 AM
06/13/07 12:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ill have to do some research , im not familar with a zhan cup..

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36715
06/13/07 12:56 AM
06/13/07 12:56 AM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline
master
jnkgal  Offline
master
J

Daisyland USA
wow this is a good one with good info
I gotta read the entire post from start to finish before I paint my car
where do I start ????? there are 3 parts but where do I start from??? The begining

"A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: jnkgal] #36716
06/13/07 09:10 AM
06/13/07 09:10 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

wow this is a good one with good info
I gotta read the entire post from start to finish before I paint my car
where do I start ????? there are 3 parts but where do I start from??? The begining

It is frightening how large this topic has gotten... but I really believe that it pays to read the thread from the start to finish. And yes... it is probably going to take a few hours out of your life.

But the time spent reading the evolution and experiences in this thread will save you time and frustrations when you actually get to the point where you are going to gather up the painting materials and start trying to do it.

If this thread could be considered the Bible of roller painting... then you can appreciate that like the real Bible you would be doing yourself a disservice if you only read the last pages of the real Bible and felt you could confidently answer questions about it.

The tidbits you pick up throughout the thread will help you deal and understand any eventualities that might occur during the process.

Sadly a lot of the questions that are surfacing in the later part of the thread were previously answered or addressed in depth earlier in the thread.

So things get a bit redundant and tiring when folks haven't read the pearls of wisdom posted earlier and jumped into the project with only a quick skimming of the concept and application for doing a roller job.

It might be almost worthwhile to give a reading of the July 2007 issue of Hot Rod magazine to get a quick overview of the entire process. That will help you to visualize and understand the sequences involved in the process. THEN read this entire thread to put some meat on that magazines skeleton...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36717
06/13/07 09:50 AM
06/13/07 09:50 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

ill have to do some research , im not familar with a zhan cup..

Rusty most paint store or places that sell paint have them. No rocket science here.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36718
06/13/07 10:20 AM
06/13/07 10:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This whole thing is about bodywork. If your car is in reasonable shape, without an cracking of paint ot cracking in general, your result would probably be really good.

In my case, it looks good in some areas and looks decent in others. For instance my hood has lots of small cracks from the old abused paint. Thus its probably not gonna be filled in any time soon.

If imagine to get Aussie Drivers "mirror" results your car (his car too) has to be in great body condition. Aussie Driver probably had a super smooth body panel, and that obviously shows.

I'm on my 3rd coat now, going to wetsand the whole car before 4th coat.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36719
06/13/07 11:05 AM
06/13/07 11:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with Marq. Maybe start out with the Hot Rod article, then Exit's site, then read the threads. Even though I've already painted a few cars, I'm still learning. I enjoy scanning other sites too for ideas. This is new, exciting territory Charger has opened up for us. We still need more feedback and fine tuning.

BTW, I like penetrol too, but I did the usual procedure first (as outlined by Charger and Exit)then used Penetrol on the final coats- Brightside Black (5% MS, 30% Penetrol), Pettit Burgundy (5% MS and 40% Pentrol.) I was happy with the minimal orange peel and the HUGE gloss. I did Sanding/Polishing only on the runs and major f**k-up areas. At the time I was painting, I couldn't locate a Zahn cup, so I used 69DartGT's idea-stirred the paint with a stir stick, lifted the stir stick, then started counting. When it started dripping at around 3 seconds, I had the right combination of MS/Paint/Penetrol. But that was ONLY with MY conditions (temperature,paint type, and surface area.) It may be different for the rest of you.

I once used Penetrol too with Rustoleum white (the same ratio as I used with Brightside.)

3564273-bug2.JPG (424 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36720
06/13/07 12:06 PM
06/13/07 12:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I agree with Marq. Maybe start out with the Hot Rod article, then Exit's site, then read the threads. Even though I've already painted a few cars, I'm still learning. I enjoy scanning other sites too for ideas. This is new, exciting territory Charger has opened up for us. We still need more feedback and fine tuning.

BTW, I like penetrol too, but I did the usual procedure first (as outlined by Charger and Exit)then used Penetrol on the final coats- Brightside Black (5% MS, 30% Penetrol), Pettit Burgundy (5% MS and 40% Pentrol.) I was happy with the minimal orange peel and the HUGE gloss. I did Sanding/Polishing only on the runs and major f**k-up areas. At the time I was painting, I couldn't locate a Zahn cup, so I used 69DartGT's idea-stirred the paint with a stir stick, lifted the stir stick, then started counting. When it started dripping at around 3 seconds, I had the right combination of MS/Paint/Penetrol. But that was ONLY with MY conditions (temperature,paint type, and surface area.) It may be different for the rest of you.

I once used Penetrol too with Rustoleum white (the same ratio as I used with Brightside.)

Can you help me with my Brightside Black mixture? How much should I mix it with mineral spirits?

I don't have Penetrol.

Can you also explain the stirred the paint with a stir stick idea?

Today I mixed up my mixture like this...

400ml of paint to 100ml of Mineral Spirits.

BTW: Is you bug polished? You have a mirror reflection.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36721
06/13/07 12:50 PM
06/13/07 12:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am going to post up some pictures of where my car stands right now. Hopefully after cutting/rubbing compound it will look better than it does now.

This is technically my 3rd coat. I sanded after the 1st coat because orange peel. 2nd and 3rd coats have less orange peel which is always welcome. I still have dust bunnies on the paint (painted outside, can't stop airborne dust) but hopefully when everything is said and done, it will look better than what it does now.

Some patches are glossier than others. Some other parts look like patches of hazed gloss. Theres gloss and hazed gloss look.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36722
06/13/07 01:22 PM
06/13/07 01:22 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Take your stick and stir the paint then lift it straight up and watch the paint it will start as a stream then after a few seconds will turn to drops, the time from when you lift the stick to drops should be around 3-4 seconds.
If you haven't added thinner do a test stir to see how long it takes from stream to drops then you'll have an idea what to look for as you add thinner.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36723
06/13/07 02:04 PM
06/13/07 02:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

[Can you help me with my Brightside Black mixture? How much should I mix it with mineral spirits?

I don't have Penetrol.

Try this site for Penetrol. You should have it available in Canada.
http://www.flood.com/flood/StoreLocator/StoreLocator.htm

If there’s none close to you, I’d just follow Charger’s painting technique. On page 10, check out the smoothness and gloss Charger’s bug had even BEFORE he polished it. That's just Tremclad and MS.

After the final coats, I didn’t sand the hood or front fenders (I suck at sanding), I just hit it with polish and wax. The final finish had minimal orange peel, but so does a $40,000 Mercedes Benz, so that’s ok with me. I had variable areas of gloss/non-gloss like you. The non-gloss areas were the main ones I sanded and polished, but even then I did so hesitantly. Brightside and Pettit have amazing built-in gloss and after paying nearly a hundred bucks for those paints I was leery of sanding away half of my investment.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36724
06/13/07 02:20 PM
06/13/07 02:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

[Can you help me with my Brightside Black mixture? How much should I mix it with mineral spirits?

I don't have Penetrol.

Try this site for Penetrol. You should have it available in Canada.
http://www.flood.com/flood/StoreLocator/StoreLocator.htm

If there’s none close to you, I’d just follow Charger’s painting technique. On page 10, check out the smoothness and gloss Charger’s bug had even BEFORE he polished it. That's just Tremclad and MS.

After the final coats, I didn’t sand the hood or front fenders (I suck at sanding), I just hit it with polish and wax. The final finish had minimal orange peel, but so does a $40,000 Mercedes Benz, so that’s ok with me. I had variable areas of gloss/non-gloss like you. The non-gloss areas were the main ones I sanded and polished, but even then I did so hesitantly. Brightside and Pettit have amazing built-in gloss and after paying nearly a hundred bucks for those paints I was leery of sanding away half of my investment.

Did you apply the final coat un-thinned to keep all the gloss? Thanks for your help! You make me feel things will turn out fine.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36725
06/13/07 02:34 PM
06/13/07 02:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah dude, you'll do ok. You're traveling a path others have tread before. (So read those threads! They're a TIME saver.)

The final coat was 5% mineral spirits, 30% FRESH Penetrol, and the temperature was around 50 degrees at the time. The main thing is to follow Charger's, Exit's and Marq's painting techniques.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36726
06/13/07 02:48 PM
06/13/07 02:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can I get away by not using penetrol?

3rd coat, still drying

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36727
06/13/07 03:10 PM
06/13/07 03:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

is it possible to search archived threads? I tried to search for questions I had in the archived $50 paint job threads and it doesn't work... To make us read through the entire [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] thing for a single questions is pretty absurd in my opinion.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36728
06/13/07 03:23 PM
06/13/07 03:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I haven't used Penetrol yet, but I may try it out for my final coats. You probably won't have to purchase/use it if you become proficient at constantly/evenly rolling (and rerolling) the paint until the bubbles are popped, before the paint starts getting tacky. It looks like you're rolling the paint when the surface is starting to dry, which results in all those rough spots where your roller is actually lifting paint away from the surface. As long as you don't press down into the paint when it gets to that point, you should be able to wetsand it all out pretty quickly and easily.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36729
06/13/07 03:24 PM
06/13/07 03:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

is it possible to search archived threads? I tried to search for questions I had in the archived $50 paint job threads and it doesn't work... To make us read through the entire [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] thing for a single questions is pretty absurd in my opinion.

it works though. I've been reading throughout and its been very helpful!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36730
06/13/07 03:26 PM
06/13/07 03:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

it works though. I've been reading throughout and its been very helpful!

yes it is a wealth of information, but I'm already at the point where I know very well what I'm doing, but I just want quick answers to any questions that I may have. And I don't wanna skim through hundreds of pages to get the answer

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #36731
06/13/07 04:47 PM
06/13/07 04:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Take your stick and stir the paint then lift it straight up and watch the paint it will start as a stream then after a few seconds will turn to drops, the time from when you lift the stick to drops should be around 3-4 seconds.
If you haven't added thinner do a test stir to see how long it takes from stream to drops then you'll have an idea what to look for as you add thinner.

Is it wise to say that this method can also be used when spraying brightside? Or would that have to be thinned even more so?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36732
06/13/07 07:20 PM
06/13/07 07:20 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Is it wise to say that this method can also be used when spraying brightside? Or would that have to be thinned even more so?

When I spray I count to 8-9 so yes thinned a lot more.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: plum500] #36733
06/13/07 07:56 PM
06/13/07 07:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I spent 1.29 on a 4" foam brush.

I wet sanded the first coat down, thinned another batch, probably around 40%, maybe 45%, and hit it with the foam brush.

Like glass. No bubbles, and it is incredibly easy to lay a *very* even and *really* thin coat. Very easy to blend. I coated in pretty much 4 quadrants of the deck lid and as I finished each one, blended with some nice long sweeps of the brush...well... here's what I got...

And no brush marks. Those lines you see running front to back are the reflection of the ceiling boards.

[/image]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9466/1000550smwk0.jpg[/image]

I did a little messing around with really thinned out rusto (50%ish) and tried foam brushing it...

it dose self level really nicely....when its a flat plece. I tried a vertical test piece and it got a bit runny. and its still drying after 5 hours, guess I should mess around with it a bit more.

also has anyone used penetrol with rusto yet? or just brightside.

Page 21 of 167 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 166 167