05/19/07 12:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It all depends on what they are doing.
I have seen some of the higher end Jobs form the discount places that were laid down well, and the prep work was great, but the person was paying for it.
The cheap-o jobs are just that, basically a wipe-down and shoot.

At our shop we do not do any "cheap jobs" and due to our policies I can not give out much info ( I would probably get fired for posting info on here) But we had a customer that just spent about 10 grand on a color changeover on a certain two seat 10 cylinder dodge vehicle. It is a smooth as glass top notch job. You could shave in that sucker.

Heck for that much it should do the shaving, make your bed and cook you dinner!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36395
05/19/07 02:09 AM
05/19/07 02:09 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Speaking of Maaco, I'm curious as to how much the roller technique is saving us. It'd be grateful to get feedback from those of you who have contacted the Maacos and Earl Scheibs, especially those who had really bad clear coat peel. Roughly how much have those paint companies quoted you to sand away the peel and paint your car? When I see their quotes of around $200, I'm thinkin that's probably just to throw paint over a body and nothing else. Thanks guys!

My tale of the McLaren Mustang is probably representative of a lot of people...

Once upon a time (2001) there was a basket case of a McLaren Mustang.

I did the bodywork, replaced the front nose, repaired a destroyed cowl, installed a new hood, etc.

And so I went proudly to Maaco and a number of other paint shops.... and they all came in with the very same estimate to give it a final sanding and spraying it : $ 3500 (US). I was living in Pennsylvania at the time.

And so the car sat in the driveway because my budget just couldn't cover that kind of hit.

Here is a link with pics and text dealing with the initial restoration to give you an idea of what stage the car was at when I got it and fixed it up initially...

http://www.itsottawa.com/McLaren/howitstarted/

Well... $ 3500 bucks was way out of my budget. I was hoping for about $1000. So I gave up on my hope to get the car painted like so many other people do...

But I loved the car and there was always the hope that I might somehow scrape up $3500 in the future. So I just parked the car.

But fate stepped in and I had to move to Canada. Naturally I took my little unfinished project along with me.

And once I was settled in to the new house I went around to three local Ottawa paint shops ( including yet another Maaco ). And again the magic dollar figure of $ 3500 (CDN) kept popping up. I was broken hearted and so the car was tucked away in my garage and left to sit.

When I first stumbled on this thread my hopes were raised. I had NOTHING TO LOSE trying out the Rustoleum/Tremclad. In midstream of the process I switched over to Brightside paint...

Here is the car at the end of its coats of Brightside... prior to polishing and waxing :

And you can visit the following picture gallery to check out the videos and pictures I took of the car after all the parts were reinstalled and the paint was polished and waxed...

Click here for the full gallery and videos :

http://www.itsottawa.com/McLaren/

Overall... my total cost in the end was $ 200

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 05/19/07 02:27 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36396
05/19/07 03:51 AM
05/19/07 03:51 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im going to start painting today on some brand new body panels they come in a satin black type colour or undercoating, can I apply brightside directly to this or do I sand it first if so with what grain and do I need to primer?

Im itching to get started so if anyone can answer so I can start id very much appreciate it

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36397
05/19/07 07:06 AM
05/19/07 07:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would have thought that you should give it a light rub down to key the paint, so that it has something to grip on to.

Good luck

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36398
05/19/07 07:11 AM
05/19/07 07:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the reply im think Ill use 1200 to key it is that ok or shall i go lower to 400? Also should I primer??

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36399
05/19/07 08:00 AM
05/19/07 08:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The paint that is on those new parts is basically a primer anyway so you shouldn't need to primer them, I think 1200 is a bit light, you might try 600 or 800 if you think 400 is to harsh. Try to avoid sanding to bare metal if you can avoid it.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36400
05/19/07 08:45 AM
05/19/07 08:45 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

The paint that is on those new parts is basically a primer anyway so you shouldn't need to primer them, I think 1200 is a bit light, you might try 600 or 800 if you think 400 is to harsh. Try to avoid sanding to bare metal if you can avoid it.

And don't forget to wipe down the entire surface after with a cloth dampened in mineral spirit to remove any debris or dust after your sanding. You don't want anything left behind that will interfere with you paint adhering to the subsurface.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36401
05/19/07 10:22 AM
05/19/07 10:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

And don't forget to wipe down the entire surface after with a cloth dampened in mineral spirit to remove any debris or dust after your sanding. You don't want anything left behind that will interfere with you paint adhering to the subsurface.

I did that and it seems to remove a layer of the black paint straight off the panel but all seems well only one coat but its looking pretty good no bubles and not much orange peel, hope it goes as well on the panels ill be re-using

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36402
05/19/07 01:38 PM
05/19/07 01:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the feedback JDM and 2.3Turbo! I figured the $200 paint shop ads weren't telling the full story. And Marq that was a great story. Wow! YOU did most of the work and STILL were quoted over 3 grand! OUCH!

One of the reasons this thread is so popular is because of stories like yours. It illustrates the very spirit of hot rodding; another way for average Joes to afford to make their cars stand toe to toe with the rich boys.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36403
05/19/07 04:12 PM
05/19/07 04:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

it better not be!!!!!!!! i havent opened it yet this weekend i will spray it on..

You had better brace yourself then- I got mine in yesterday and cracked open the can- it is not crystal clear as in you can see to the bottom of the can. In fact it looks very dark looking through that much of it.

However, in the thickness that one would apply it it looks fine. You might notice a slight tint if you applied it over white but other than that it should be OK.

Let us Know how it goes for you,

-Nathan

yah when i opened the can it looked black but when thinned its pretty clear. put 1 coat on today and it looks killer!!!!!! thinned it 33% 4 ml have to spray very fast so no runs happed tired of rumnning back and forth for spraying but no runs it flattened faster than the spraybomb stuff!!!!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36404
05/19/07 05:21 PM
05/19/07 05:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

wonder if macco is going to go out of bisness?

Speaking of Maaco, I'm curious as to how much the roller technique is saving us. It'd be grateful to get feedback from those of you who have contacted the Maacos and Earl Scheibs, especially those who had really bad clear coat peel. Roughly how much have those paint companies quoted you to sand away the peel and paint your car? When I see their quotes of around $200, I'm thinkin that's probably just to throw paint over a body and nothing else. Thanks guys!

(Oh, and congrats for making it on HRM! This is history dudes!)

Well, I have had three cars painted by three different places, MAACO, Earl Shieb and One Day paint and body.

All three times I paid more than $400 dollars. The guys at Sheib and One Day told me that for the $200 paint that they don't even wash the car. They just tack it down and shoot it. They said that even with wax and crap on the paint it lasts long enough for the customer to get out the door with shiney paint. Typical lifespan of that job is months to a year. He said the people who get that job are the guys selling used cars.

The jobs that I had done looked pretty good because I spent a LOT of time prepping them. But all have since faded and failed. They lasted about three years, which is about how long they said those type jobs would last.

And to top it off, I got NO discounts for me doing the prep work and a lot of masking either. the shops basically said what they charge is what they charge; they would not negotiate a lower price even if they had to do less work. In one case the car was just a shell, they did not have to do anything to it. What they did do though was go over my smooth body work with some rough scuffing pad and left visible scratches under the paint. The only reason to do your own prep work is to get a better job. The old tale of do your own prep and get a cheaper job is a myth from my experience. These places are so busy that they could care less about giving discounts for less work.

Just my experiences.

-Nathan
Albuquerque New Mexico

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36405
05/19/07 06:48 PM
05/19/07 06:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MyBuick,

What equipment are you using to spray with?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36406
05/19/07 09:07 PM
05/19/07 09:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok Guys, a couple of long awaited pics here for you. I wetsanded my test piece with 1200 then with 2000 then used my three stage polish(Thanks Aussie Driver) from Poorboys and polished it out with my Turtlewax random orbital polisher and a terry pad. You can still see a little peel but I can certainly live with that. Note: Obviously only the side of the piece is polished

3511780-DSC02872.JPG (906 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36407
05/19/07 09:11 PM
05/19/07 09:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This one is my tribute to Aussie Driver the "Straight on-mirror pic". Sorry these are kinda dark, a Thunderstorm rolled in while I was working on it. I'll get some sunlight pics if you guys want to see some.

3511790-DSC02874.JPG (809 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36408
05/19/07 09:24 PM
05/19/07 09:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

MyBuick,

What equipment are you using to spray with?

i have the guns from eastwood for painting and clearcoat. pn 34272. i have 2 of them one for paint and one for clear.

then i have the durablock kit for wetsanding.

i have 4 canvas wheel masks for drips and dust pn 11844

bufing pads 3m 05725

swirl mark remover 3m 06064

an old sears 7 in buffer from 1970's still kickin

lots of blue painters tape and green masking paper.

2500 grit 3m wetordry paper 02045

and a year of learning how to paint. did the paint job 3 times til i finally got it right this time and it looks great!!!!!!

next a 1989 gmc si5 jimmy rusty but trusty....

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36409
05/20/07 01:40 AM
05/20/07 01:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The guys at Sheib and One Day told me that for the $200 paint that they don't even wash the car. They just tack it down and shoot it. Typical lifespan of that job is months to a year. He said the people who get that job are the guys selling used cars.

...I got NO discounts for me doing the prep work and a lot of masking either... The old tale of do your own prep and get a cheaper job is a myth from my experience.
-Nathan
Albuquerque New Mexico

Thanks for the feedback Nathan! Brrrrr. That's a horror story if I ever heard one!

Hey dudes, I went down to the local 7-11 and picked up the July copy of Hot Rod Magazine. It's a great article! It starts out just the way I thought it would. "The $98 Paint Job. When (the author) pitched a story on painting his Falcon with a roller, we about fired him on the spot. But d*mn, it turned out good." Also, "For the past couple of years a rumor has been circulating around the Internet that there is a way to paint your car using common enamel paint and- get this- a roller...After a good full-body cringe, our curiosity took over and we began ...to find out more about the 'legend of the roller paint job.'"
(DUDES! We're freakin' Urban Legends!) The author illustrates the method pretty much outlined by Exit in his excellent web site. There were a few interesting points and variations. Although they use 100% mineral spirits, they also found no difference in using the odorless kind. They used an air gun to blow out the bubbles. For polish they used a $25 bottle of Norton's Liquid Ice- a polish for synthetic enamel. I liked how they prepped a first timer on what to expect. "That first roll is by far the worst part, and the finish that greets you immediately afterward will likely make you want to reconsider the whole affair, but keep the faith!" The author's final assessment was also realistic. "The finished car has plenty of flaws compared to a well-sprayed job...We'd rank (it) several notches above the typical quickie one-day budget deals. Honestly, for less than $25 in paint it's hard to fault it too much." The author finally tells us not to go overboard in our expectations. "If you're a real perfectionist, trying to get it flawless will drive you crazy."

Wow! This article brought to mind two words. The first is VALIDATION. To have a prestigious magazine like HRM put out an article like this is like flipping off all the "professionals" who have thumb their noses at this technique. I especially remember the moderator snobs on Samba.com (a VW version of Moparts.com) who thought Charger's roller idea was so vulgar, they SHUT DOWN their roller thread. I was so disgusted that I defected to this site.

The second word that comes to mind is GRATITUDE. I can't stop thanking the moderators and the other members of this board for being so open minded and welcoming to this fantastic technique. Hey, you guys thought you generated worldwide traffic to Moparts.com before, wait 'till the HRM article REALLY catches fire! Get those ads ready! You're marketing department might as well make use of this opportunity! Cheers!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36410
05/20/07 01:23 PM
05/20/07 01:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well heres an update of mine.. its not finished being polished yet, i went over it with some meguiars diamond cut and then turtle wax polishing compound, and im still gonna go over it wit some scratch remover and then wax.. but its lookin pretty good so far, just the passenger side may need tro be wetsaned again cuz it seems its not polishing up too good

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36411
05/20/07 05:32 PM
05/20/07 05:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so whos the first goin to be to roller clear?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36412
05/20/07 09:39 PM
05/20/07 09:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i sprayed mine on today

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36413
05/21/07 12:42 AM
05/21/07 12:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i sprayed mine on today

how did you spray clear? on new paint(rustoleum) after flash time, or on old paint?

i was thinking that you cant paint rustoleum clear over rustoleum enamel? so how is it?

how many coats ? can you take pic of clear can ?

Page 5 of 167 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 166 167