06/10/09 09:02 PM
06/10/09 09:02 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I was reading around some and I had a couple question on filling blocks with something like hard bloc. Now the oil temp runs hotter but the coolant temp is lower, correct? Therefore you should run an external oil cooler. Should you pump through the cooler into the motor or should you return oil from the block through the cooler back to the pan? Could you run the oil through a water-side heat exchanger like an automatic transmission does? How do you size a cooler for a filled motor? Is it possible to run a filled block on the street if you have enough oil cooler? Does using sythectic oil help? I read when you fill a block, you should torque down a deck plate while it hardens, can an usless head fill in for a deck plate? What other problems arise from filled blocks aside from high oil temps and a heavier block?

Re: block filling questions #343607
06/10/09 09:28 PM
06/10/09 09:28 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I was reading around some and I had a couple question on filling blocks with something like hard bloc. Now the oil temp runs hotter but the coolant temp is lower, correct? Therefore you should run an external oil cooler. Should you pump through the cooler into the motor or should you return oil from the block through the cooler back to the pan? Could you run the oil through a water-side heat exchanger like an automatic transmission does? How do you size a cooler for a filled motor? Is it possible to run a filled block on the street if you have enough oil cooler? Does using sythectic oil help? I read when you fill a block, you should torque down a deck plate while it hardens, can an usless head fill in for a deck plate? What other problems arise from filled blocks aside from high oil temps and a heavier block?

You can run through the rad cooler then to a separate
cooler... size... I like big. A old head will work
fine for a deck plate. Synthetic oil has a better
heat point where it starts to break down. The problem
with a filled block is, if you fill the block high
enough to control the weak spot in a cylinder which
is about 1/2 way between the top and bottom you
dont leave alot of water area so it turns into a
matter of time before things get too warm... JMO

Re: block filling questions [Re: MR_P_BODY] #343608
06/11/09 08:18 AM
06/11/09 08:18 AM