06/08/09 10:42 PM
06/08/09 10:42 PM
Western NC
68Bullit Offline OP
mopar
68Bullit  Offline OP
mopar

Western NC
Gonna be changing the driver's side seal and wanted any tips or secrets on the change that may help. I've got a tool to extract the old seal and I have a seal driver for the new one. Is it a fairly simple change? Thanks

Re: Changing 8 3/4 axle housing seal [Re: 68Bullit] #341769
06/08/09 11:01 PM
06/08/09 11:01 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
measure the depth of the old seal & drive the new one in to that depth and put a smear of gasket cement(permatex #2 my fav) around the housing id at the depth the old seal was at so the new one will be in the cement when you get it where you had the old one. If your seal driver drives the flat front & does not also have a shaft that goes inside the seal id I would pack the recess on the backside with vaseline to hold the spring in place as you drive it in. If the spring pops out during the install you wont know it but the seal id will not grip the axle firmly enough, other than that keep it straight & not cocked.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Changing 8 3/4 axle housing seal [Re: RapidRobert] #341770
06/08/09 11:16 PM
06/08/09 11:16 PM
Western NC
68Bullit Offline OP
mopar
68Bullit  Offline OP
mopar

Western NC
Okay Before I get started, would there be anywhere else to check for a leak that might not be coming from the seal? I was thinking the seal was leaking but where else could I check just to be sure? I've changed the centersection a few times recently and I've always been careful to not let the splines of the axle rub against the seal and slice it (that I know of anyway). And I've used the permatex stuff on both sides of the brake housing shield to help get a good seal around the base of the axle. I've got a good stream of a leak down the inside of the wheel/tire and onto the floor that if I keep driving will seemingly drain out all the fluid.....Thanks

Re: Changing 8 3/4 axle housing seal [Re: 68Bullit] #341771
06/08/09 11:40 PM
06/08/09 11:40 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I've got a good stream of a leak down the inside of the wheel/tire and onto the floor

It's not brake fluid?. That large inner seal is what contains the gear lube so take care driving the new one in. the outer perimeter of the seal is it's strongest area so you want a driver with a large an OD as will fit in there. EDIT use a BFH as a lighter one will increase the chances of the seal cocking sideways. Once you get it started straight get it all the way there w as few whacks as possible

Last edited by RapidRobert; 06/09/09 12:09 AM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Changing 8 3/4 axle housing seal [Re: RapidRobert] #341772
06/09/09 07:53 AM
06/09/09 07:53 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

measure the depth of the old seal & drive the new one in to that depth and put a smear of gasket cement(

You drive the new seal in till it stops against the stop lip in the housing.
You can very simply use the axle itself to pull the inner seal by as you are pulling it out hold teh flange to the rear of the car letting the splined end rub on the front of teh housing and when you hit the seal give a prying action to the rear and the seal will come out on the end of the axle. Don't worry about the out seal in the retainer it wll leak if the inner seal leaks and the only time that one is replaced is when the bearing is replaced. It is mostly a dust seal to keep brake debrie out of the bearing area. Make sure to clean, inspect and repack the bearings with a good wheel bearing compatable grease. this is the only lubrication that they get. They are not lubricated from the rear axle lube. Make sure that you drive the new seal square and in with the metal face out.http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/12.html

Re: Changing 8 3/4 axle housing seal [Re: MoparforLife] #341773
06/09/09 08:22 AM
06/09/09 08:22 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
old seals are super easy to get to leak with a couple R&R of the axles

you are careful but you might have knocked the spring off the back side of the seal going back in with an axle

what they said

pack the back side of seal around the spring on the seal lip

drive it all the way in with as few wacks as possable

check the axle for grooves were the axle rides also

I rub a little bearing grease on the axle surface were the seal ride so its not dry on start up

good luck