06/05/09 11:39 AM
06/05/09 11:39 AM
North Las Vegas
chewy Offline OP
pro stock
chewy  Offline OP
pro stock

North Las Vegas
I've located a donor truck for my Ramcharger, and the guy has given me a really good price for the body parts, but I need to pull the quarters and Rockers myself.

The quarters and Rockers are perfectly solid and no bondo that I can find. So, I want to pull the whole thing.

Where would be the best locations and method to cut? I assume I will need to drill out the spot welds around the wheel well.

Also, where is the correct spot to cut off donor Rockers from the cab?

Any Help is greatly appreciated.
--Tom

Re: Best way to remove Quarter Panel and Rockr from a Truck [Re: chewy] #338617
06/05/09 12:04 PM
06/05/09 12:04 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Use an air chisel or sawzall and take off more than you need. You can always trim off the excess later. Trying to drill out every spot weld takes too long + you'll still have to fight to get the panels off.

On the rockers I would cut all the way up into the door jamb and back into the floorboard.

Re: Best way to remove Quarter Panel and Rockr from a Truck [Re: Neil] #338618
06/05/09 12:31 PM
06/05/09 12:31 PM
North Las Vegas
chewy Offline OP
pro stock
chewy  Offline OP
pro stock

North Las Vegas
Quote:

----
Trying to drill out every spot weld takes too long + you'll still have to fight to get the panels off.
----

Battery Powered Sawzall is do-able for the top/side/ends of the panel. Ever have any problems with cutting thru the Rocker up into the cab with sawzall?

I dont have battery powered Chisel, nor power out here to run a compressor. What other methods other than drilling could be done here?

Re: Best way to remove Quarter Panel and Rockr from a Truck [Re: chewy] #338619
06/05/09 01:40 PM
06/05/09 01:40 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Cutting torch? Don't try that if there is dry grass around unless you have fast feet and can stomp a fire out before it takes off.

I had a wrecking yard guy cut a rocker panel off a duster with an air chisel. It went thru the door jambs like they weren't even there.

I think a sawzall is up to it, but bring extra batteries and blades.

Re: Best way to remove Quarter Panel and Rockr from a Truck [Re: chewy] #338620
06/05/09 03:12 PM
06/05/09 03:12 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
76? Why don't you pull the whole tub? Really it will be less work in the end. I would swap the whole thing. You'll end up with something that hasn't been pieced back together too.

Sheldon

Re: Best way to remove Quarter Panel and Rockr from a Truck [Re: RUNCHARGER] #338621
06/05/09 08:26 PM
06/05/09 08:26 PM
North Las Vegas
chewy Offline OP
pro stock
chewy  Offline OP
pro stock

North Las Vegas
Quote:

Cutting torch? Don't try that if there is dry grass around unless you have fast feet and can stomp a fire out before it takes off.

I had a wrecking yard guy cut a rocker panel off a duster with an air chisel. It went thru the door jambs like they weren't even there.

I think a sawzall is up to it, but bring extra batteries and blades.

The friends I had down here that had gas powered air compressors moved to find work, so unfortunately, I don thave the option for an air-chisel.

Quote:

76? Why don't you pull the whole tub? Really it will be less work in the end. I would swap the whole thing. You'll end up with something that hasn't been pieced back together too.

Sheldon

I like that Idea. Will bring it up with the guy I struck the deal with when I call to schedule when to get on the property to pull the fenders and panels. Maybe I should see what he wants for the whole truck bed. I noticed some soft spots on the floor support rails today.

Will have to look at mounting locations on truck bed vs the RamCharger bed.

--Tom