Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Getting ready to tackle the cowl rust in the '62 Dart 440. I plan on taking the upper cowl out by drilling out the spot welds to I can get to the lower cowl. I'll need to take out the windshield out to do that.

I've put rear windows/windshields in with butyl tape but I've never installed a windshield with a gasket. With a helper, some soapy water and some Hobo Freight plastic spoons will I be able to install this thing (I have medium-low patience)?

Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: VITC_GTX] #3266022
10/23/24 01:08 PM
10/23/24 01:08 PM
Enjoy life today, It has an ex...
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
Getting ready to tackle the cowl rust in the '62 Dart 440. I plan on taking the upper cowl out by drilling out the spot welds to I can get to the lower cowl. I'll need to take out the windshield out to do that.

I've put rear windows/windshields in with butyl tape but I've never installed a windshield with a gasket. With a helper, some soapy water and some Hobo Freight plastic spoons will I be able to install this thing (I have medium-low patience)?

Reinstalling the OEM glass and seal ? - Easy peasy

Enjoy life today, It has an expiration date
Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: gtx6970] #3266032
10/23/24 01:34 PM
10/23/24 01:34 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by gtx6970

As long as the seal is still soft and pliable. If its hard and brittle like a lot of old seals are, easy is deffenately not the correct descriptive word for the installation.

Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: poorboy] #3266033
10/23/24 01:36 PM
10/23/24 01:36 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Originally Posted by poorboy

As long as the seal is still soft and pliable. If its hard and brittle like a lot of old seals are, easy is deffenately not the correct descriptive word for the installation.

I'll buy a new seal, I'll have to cut the old hard, crusty one out of the car when I remove the windshield.

Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: poorboy] #3266039
10/23/24 01:56 PM
10/23/24 01:56 PM
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

Agreed, Condition is everything

Enjoy life today, It has an expiration date
Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: poorboy] #3266043
10/23/24 02:17 PM
10/23/24 02:17 PM
New Mexico
J
JMCFAN Offline
top fuel
JMCFAN  Offline
top fuel
J

New Mexico
[quote=VITC_GTX]Getting ready to tackle the cowl rust in the '62 Dart 440. I plan on taking the upper cowl out by drilling out the spot welds to I can get to the lower cowl. I'll need to take out the windshield out to do that.

I

I had a glass company install with a new seal on my Roadrunner..... it took them 2 hours...and they were not happy..... lol

68 Charger 383/ AT Green/Green VT
70 Roadrunner 383/4sp Purple/Black VT
Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: JMCFAN] #3266064
10/23/24 04:32 PM
10/23/24 04:32 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by JMCFAN
[quote=VITC_GTX]Getting ready to tackle the cowl rust in the '62 Dart 440. I plan on taking the upper cowl out by drilling out the spot welds to I can get to the lower cowl. I'll need to take out the windshield out to do that.

I

I had a glass company install with a new seal on my Roadrunner..... it took them 2 hours...and they were not happy..... lol

I have a 49 Dodge pickup with the rear cab corner windows. I bought 2 new corner windows and two new rubber gaskets from the same company, and had them installed by a professional glass installer. The 1st attempt the guy spent 4 hours busting his butt fighting with it. He came back a few days later and we finally got them in, and sealed after another 4 hours. With my insistence, we finally had to make a couple cuts on the new rubber (on each window) to get it to go around the corners. Eight hours +, most of it for two 15" x15" corner windows, the rear center glass and both pieces of front glass only took about 45 minutes of that time. For the record, that was the only rubber gasket maker offering the rubber gaskets for corner window glass.

When the rubber doesn't fit, the install is a nightmare.

My son has a 57 Dodge wagon. It needs a new windshield (plenty OEM versions are available) but the only company that offers the rubber tells you it doesn't fit well. That company recommends you locate a car with a good pliable rubber gasket! His windshield doesn't leak, and the rubber on his 67 year old car is still soft, but he is concerned about it leaking with the new glass. The glass installer he will need to use is the same guy that installed the corner windows on my 49.

Picture of the one of new corner windows and the center rear glass, and a picture of the two piece windshield.

100_0391.JPG100_0381.JPG
Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: JMCFAN] #3266086
10/23/24 06:16 PM
10/23/24 06:16 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington

I

That sounds a little scary eek

Re: Windshield Installation, Have You Tried It? [Re: poorboy] #3266088
10/23/24 06:20 PM
10/23/24 06:20 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington

I

When the rubber doesn't fit, the install is a nightmare.

My son has a 57 Dodge wagon. It needs a new windshield (plenty OEM versions are available) but the only company that offers the rubber tells you it doesn't fit well. That company recommends you locate a car with a good pliable rubber gasket! His windshield doesn't leak, and the rubber on his 67 year old car is still soft, but he is concerned about it leaking with the new glass. The glass installer he will need to use is the same guy that installed the corner windows on my 49.

I plan on buying the gasket from Detroit Muscle Technologies. I think they are a sponsor here on Moparts. I hope the gasket fits and works well!!

Last edited by VITC_GTX; 10/23/24 06:20 PM.