12/22/06 12:54 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Thanks Paul.That really means alot.I try to help where I can.I believe what comes around goes around.In most cases I'm the one who requires help.I'm amazed at how many guys are willing to help out.Give away what they have paid for and learned for free.It's cool how some things come full circle.

I look forward to next year Paul.I'm working on something that will rank a little better than the Cuda.Look out

i have to agree with this , i met paul for the first time at the pure stock drags this year , talked briefly with him on my dart . took his recommendations , though i wasn't as brave on ignition advance he suggested and maybe a good thing since my timing chain was almost ready to skip a tooth , and i posted my best ET to date and the next day at my home track posted my best MPH ...

these detroit guys know their stuff ...

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: JohnRR] #32559
12/22/06 03:35 AM
12/22/06 03:35 AM
B
Beeware Offline
enthusiast
Beeware  Offline
enthusiast
B

John,

Thanks, I think there was more in the Dart that day its too bad you drove half way across the country(Pouring rain)to get there just in time to make one time trial run and make it count!Won the shootout also I believe, congrats and hope to see you at Martin!

Wayne,

I hear what your saying about camshafts and your right diffrent cams for diffrent apps, Bobs is the best I've found for a stock combo with the stock torque converter. IMHO I dont believe if you throw more lift and duration at the same combo it will ET as well! I dont believe it will idle as well either, 19 to 20in. @750-800 rpm!Thats in my engine!
Wayne, does Ray Barton grind SS/AA cams and advertise lift and duration on his website? Does Dan Davorak grind Max Wedge/Stock eliminator cams and advertise on his site? How about Tri City Comp. no advertisement there either? Maybe Don Little??? No Not on his Homepage???Maybe thats the reason Bob doesnt post the numbers??? Summit Racing or Jegs does advertise lift and duration for around $49.99 or something like that, (Just Pullin your tail as my son would say) Bobs helped me many many times over the years and others by this post and I know he would never never look down on anybody thats why I posted.Mr Six Pack is genuine Nice Guy as Mike has said and his goal in all these years of doing this is to help make the Mopars stand tall and run the number! See ya at Martin in the rental racer?

Brad,

Bob designed his cam to as close as posssible to the original 69 440 low taper design six pack cam, it is not a low taper but as close as he could make it to the original with what cores are avail. Bob did measure and try to duplicate his cam to the 69 cam. The question you asked me Yes, I did compair and measure Bobs cam also to my six pack cam and I also compaired a (about 98/99)version of Mopars Resto cam and a Crane Resto cam all to each other, I believe that the crane and mopar were one and the same even the paint stripe on the core was the same, I sold both of the Resto cams after that, a couple of years later I had the chance to look at a Comp cam resto cam and it was simalar to the Crane cam, nowhere near my original. Thats all that I've checked I know there are others but I havent went further.
The whole reason that Bob even made this cam was because his orignal was getting worn and he could not come up with an identical replacement he wasnt trying to become a Cam Company, he just needed a duplacate to his orignal cam, the resto cams that he used never ET as well as the orignal low taper cam so the cam he has now is as close as can be made now, he started selling the cams because all of us locals wanted to run one after seeing his track performance with his car thats why he started selling them. The cam thats in his car is the same one he sells to the guys that race with him, I've checked that also, helped him tear down and certify and the cam specks have always been the same as the one he sells,in My car, Jims Bee, Steves car, Jim S car and all of the others.

One of our Friends once said Bob will help you to beat him on the track, thats the kind of Person he is.

Thanks Guys, sorry its too long

Paul M Petcou

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32560
12/22/06 09:15 AM
12/22/06 09:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

/quote/ The whole reason that Bob even made this cam was because his orignal was getting worn and he could not come up with an identical replacement he wasnt trying to become a Cam Company, he just needed a duplacate to his orignal cam. / quote/

"So what was his original cam" ?

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32561
12/22/06 09:25 AM
12/22/06 09:25 AM
new york
B
badsixpack Offline
mopar
badsixpack  Offline
mopar
B

new york

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32562
12/22/06 10:09 AM
12/22/06 10:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It sounds like it it was the original cam that came in his engine in '69.......

Quote:

Wayne, does Ray Barton grind SS/AA cams and advertise lift and duration on his website? Does Dan Davorak grind Max Wedge/Stock eliminator cams and advertise on his site? How about Tri City Comp. no advertisement there either? Maybe Don Little??? No Not on his Homepage???Maybe thats the reason Bob doesnt post the numbers???

That's a good point, but those guys, or their customers, aren't recommending those "race" cams for ANY other kind of race motor either.......

I honestly believe the a small solid flat tappet or roller cam with similar duration as a stock cam, but with more lift, will make more power and idle just as well as a stock camshaft........More lift is one of those things that does not hurt power, it only helps if the heads flow enough to use it.......

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: badsixpack] #32563
12/22/06 10:10 AM
12/22/06 10:10 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
profanity reference deleted

Last edited by ZIPPY; 12/22/06 01:39 PM.
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32564
12/22/06 10:12 AM
12/22/06 10:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

It sounds like it it was the original cam that came in his engine in '69.......

Well if that "is" the case,shouldn't be hard to replicate.Also,anybody with an original motor would already have one!

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32565
12/22/06 10:20 AM
12/22/06 10:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well if that "is" the case,shouldn't be hard to replicate.Also,anybody with an original motor would already have one!

That's not as easy as it sounds............apparantly only the '69 model A12 cars had this specific low taper grind........and nobody makes it......

HPMike....What's the cluster?

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32566
12/22/06 10:44 AM
12/22/06 10:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

That's not as easy as it sounds............apparantly only the '69 model A12 cars had this specific low taper grind........and nobody makes it......

What I am saying,if thats the case the specs are out there!

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32567
12/22/06 11:25 AM
12/22/06 11:25 AM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
I thought the design of the original six pack cam was more of a durability change. I read because of the Hemi valve springs there were some wear problems in the durability testing so they designed the low taper setup to fix those issues. I was always under the impression the specs were the same as the 440 Magnum cam.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: dannysbee] #32568
12/22/06 11:52 AM
12/22/06 11:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I thought the design of the original six pack cam was more of a durability change. I read because of the Hemi valve springs there were some wear problems in the durability testing so they designed the low taper setup to fix those issues. I was always under the impression the specs were the same as the 440 Magnum cam.

I think you will find that is correct.I'll stick with that summation until someone "proves ,not guesses" otherwise.

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32569
12/22/06 11:53 AM
12/22/06 11:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

What I am saying, if thats the case the specs are out there!

Yeah, they are, but I'm sure that Bob's cam isn't stock (that's why it's hush hush). Heck I'm sure it's asymmetric too.......That cam is a Pure Stock cheater cam........It's another case of creative interpretation of the rules....... and there's nothing wrong with that.........

Yeah, HPMike, I agree that it's a cluster that that cam is being recommended to guys that aren't Pure Stock racers......

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32570
12/22/06 11:59 AM
12/22/06 11:59 AM
Almost Heaven
B_Body_Bob Offline
Master of nothing
B_Body_Bob  Offline
Master of nothing

Almost Heaven
Quote:

Yeah, HPMike, I agree that it's a cluster that that cam is being recommended to guys that aren't Pure Stock racers......

Don't forget what forum you're in - not too many people here wanting other than the stock sound and appearance. Common sense tells me a pure stock cam would work really well on the street too.

You know I looked back and didn't really see any posts where the OP stated what their primary purpose is - 1st reply recommended a Bob K cam and the next thing you know, here we are.

Everybody makes fun of a hillbilly until they need something fixed
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32571
12/22/06 12:18 PM
12/22/06 12:18 PM
Michigan
sandbagger Offline
super stock
sandbagger  Offline
super stock

Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

A few thoughts here:

Wayne would the guys at straightline care if we posted the specs on there cam that's in my motor?

Everyone agrees that Bob's a great guy and if he sells me that NOS air cleaner base he has I'll write him in for Prez on the next ballot.

Bob spent a lot of time with me on the phone as I was looking to purchase an A12 and never tried to sway my thoughts just pointing out what's important to some is not to others.
How important is the H wheels to you he asked.....well I'd much rather have a build sheet. To each his own.

"Hemmings Liftoff Hood Cover Bee"

"63 Savoy Max Wedge"
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: B_Body_Bob] #32572
12/22/06 01:07 PM
12/22/06 01:07 PM
Marilla, New York
R
RalleyA12 Offline
mopar
RalleyA12  Offline
mopar
R

Marilla, New York
Quote:

Don't forget what forum you're in - not too many people here wanting other than the stock sound and appearance. Common sense tells me a pure stock cam would work really well on the street too.

Not that I'm a pure stock racer or even that knowleable about their cams but my understanding is that they have to meet certain lift and duration requirements to be "legal". What you then do is try to get as much "area under the curve" as possible to get more mixture into the cylinders and therefore make more power. This forces you to design a cam lobe that might not be ideal from a stabilty/longevity point because it must open and close real fast. Valve spring pressures must be correct to prevent valve float and or bouncing off the seat due to the extreem lobe design. You end up trading stability for horsepower because afterall it is a race cam. My common sense tells me that although this would work on the street, that it might not be the best choice you could make especially if you drive a lot of miles.

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: Beeware] #32573
12/22/06 03:34 PM
12/22/06 03:34 PM
Dreaming of the 808
AZ_A12_BEE Offline
I Live Here
AZ_A12_BEE  Offline
I Live Here

Dreaming of the 808
Do I need to buy one of these cams soon as it might be a couple more years before I get to my A12 and Bob is no spring chicken?

69.5 A12 Bee, first purchased in 1976, car 169 on registry 69 Coronet R/T 440/4 spd 69 Coronet 500 Conv H code 383 4bbl/auto 37 Plymouth PU Find your spot on earth and ride it.
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: sandbagger] #32574
12/22/06 04:10 PM
12/22/06 04:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Wayne would the guys at straightline care if we posted the specs on there cam that's in my motor?

I'm sure he wouldn't.......I don't even remember how much vacuum your motor has at idle.....If I remember right, it does sound really stock though......

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information #32575
12/22/06 04:38 PM
12/22/06 04:38 PM
colorado
A
a12superbee Offline
master
a12superbee  Offline
master
A

colorado
I've held back asking but it'll bug me if I don't, what does the 'low taper' mean?, is it the ramp design, or does the face of the lobe (where the lifter smears across) have a taper to it? Taper on ramps? Less contact area, lobe vs. lifter base? Please.

I can't afford this. mark
Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: a12superbee] #32576
12/22/06 10:02 PM
12/22/06 10:02 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
The taper is designed to allow the lifters to rotate/spin in the bores. Danny is correct in that from my understanding, the higher spring pressures involved with the A12(specially selected cam), it was found necessary to reduce the taper for increased longevity. The cam speced out like a 440-4V cam, and of course, had a 3 bolt timing gear.

As far as Bob is concerned, who cares why he wants the specs to be proprietary. As has been stated before, it is a simple task to spec the cam out, and if you really want to know and you don't have the know how or tools to do it, I would be willing to bet that any competent machinist would be willing to do it for you. The cam is a proven design/profile. I didn't get a chance to see Bob's "posse" at Martin, but the reports are that the cars were running particularly strong. I have a certain long term respect for the guy, watching him duke it out with Jim Mino and his 68 'Bird in the old days. I was running a Pontiac at the time and was amazed at how well he got that Bee running.

I gotta laugh at some who have said Bob is in it for the money or that the cam is "twice that price that it should be". With the amount of handholding the guy does, it's probably priced too cheap.

Merry X mas to all!

Mike

Re: Looking For Mr. Six Pack Cam Information [Re: HPMike] #32577
12/22/06 10:33 PM
12/22/06 10:33 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Mike, I want to bring up a few points that I think are worth clarifying for some of us. I think we previously established here that the 69 A12's had a standard 1 bolt cam and the nylon tooth timing gear with street hemi (black) valve springs. The 70 and 71 cams had the roller timing chains and I don't know if they were 1 or 3 bolt cams? Now I don't remember seeing this disputed in previous threads regarding the A12 cam but the A12 cam was not advertised as the same spec as the 383/440 HP cars. The A12 cam was advertised as 276-292 54 overlap (look at the 1969 Plymouth tells it like it is Sixbbl ad). The service manual lists a 383/440 HP "Power Pack" B-Body cam as a 268 284 46 cam (with red colored valve springs) The 383 Cuda's had yet a slightly different specification than the "Power Pack". The six pack's 292 exhaust duration would definitely give the A12 more rpm's, more torque at higher rpm's and the springs would help prevent valve float. The hot aftermarket replacement wedge cam of the time was the "Hemi" grind which had a 284 284 specification and was typically available with 3 bolts. I believe this ultimately became Chrysler's standard "Purple" cam. The A12 did have the same ratio rockers but were a tighter fit on the rocker shaft (round hole vs oval) and supposed to be heavier duty... but the sixpack cam is different. My

Last edited by RoadRunnerJD; 12/23/06 10:28 AM.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8