12/05/06 09:43 PM
12/05/06 09:43 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
I am getting to dig in both heals and rip apart my cuda for resto. Other than engine swapping, it has never been apart, and I have never completely done a car. Do any of you resto guru's have a list in order of how you disassemble and reassemble a car? I want to keep it organized as best I can. I do have a factory service manual for putting the car back together. If anyone has something on paper, say in a MS word doc, I would love a PM. Can't wait to dive in.

Lindy

I’m listening.
Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Big Bad Bee] #32500
12/05/06 10:13 PM
12/05/06 10:13 PM
Renton, Wa.
C
Classof70Chally Offline
super gas
Classof70Chally  Offline
super gas
C

Renton, Wa.
You've probably already thought of this but it can be helpfull if you 'bag & tag' parts in different sized ziplock bags. You can then load the bags into labeled plastic tubs for storage and organizing. Another thing my son and I did was to wrap interior parts ie sunvisors, trim parts, etc with saran (plastic) wrap. This keeps them clean and provides some scuff protection.

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Classof70Chally] #32501
12/05/06 10:15 PM
12/05/06 10:15 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
also take lots of pics,you will be happy you did

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Big Bad Bee] #32502
12/05/06 10:26 PM
12/05/06 10:26 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
Go and buy 3 or 4 boxes of ziplock sandwich bags in different sizes,and a Sharpie pen to label them with.Keep all the screws,bolts and small parts in them.Use a digital camera to take LOTS of pics before you take the car apart.Save them to a disc and label the disc Pics of stuff like the wiring harness clips,washer hose routing,door jamb sticker,etc will help when you forget how the heck it went Get some plastic storage bins to keep stuff in.One for the engine compartment,one for interior,one for suspension,etc. Keep everything in them that will fit....baggies full of fasteners from that area of the car included.If it won't fit in the plastic bins,make a log of the parts from that area of the car and zip it in a bag and put it in the bin.Can you tell I once wasted a lot of time looking for parts? Make a plan,and work on one thing at a time.I make "To do" lists and check them off as I go.It keeps me focused and not runnin around hellikaswarp at one end of the car one minute and the other end the next Good luck,have fun,and when you get mad or aggrivated....just cut the lights off and walk away for a while.

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: JDMopar] #32503
12/05/06 10:53 PM
12/05/06 10:53 PM
Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada
Moparnut Offline
super stock
Moparnut  Offline
super stock

Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada
Just a little thing I do.

I do the body. While the body is being done in a rotis.. I work on the rear end and get it all ready to bolt back in. Then the front suspension and engine trans. Ready to install from underneath.

Body comes back and put in rear end and front and you now have a roller again.

Nothing worse then having a car you cannot move. Been there done that. Never again.

I get the bodies back in the rotis and within a day the car is a roller with engine, trans and rear end in.

Now a work on components and once complete I install back in the car. This way they don't get knocked around and possible scuff paint etc. Once its restored it goes on the car.

Be logical about reassembly. Think

Interior - I work from the middle out. Example install dash with windows out just easier to get at. Then the headliner, rear deck, carpet, seats, door panels etc. This way I am not climbing on things that I just installed.

Have fun and like he said. When you get frustrated just walk away and go at it with a cooler head.

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Big Bad Bee] #32504
12/05/06 11:48 PM
12/05/06 11:48 PM
WI
RestoRick Offline
top fuel
RestoRick  Offline
top fuel

WI
Quote:

I am getting to dig in both heals and rip apart my cuda for resto. Other than engine swapping, it has never been apart, and I have never completely done a car. Do any of you resto guru's have a list in order of how you disassemble and reassemble a car? I want to keep it organized as best I can. I do have a factory service manual for putting the car back together. If anyone has something on paper, say in a MS word doc, I would love a PM. Can't wait to dive in.

Lindy

Here's a sequence I've been working on to post on my tech board...

ASSEMBLY SEQUENCE:
(some variation with different body types)
(from bare painted body shell)
Spray radiator saddle blackout
Rocker panel pinchweld blackout (if applicable)
Front frame rail side blackout (if applicable)

1. trunk weatherstrip
2. body rubber bumpers
3. trunk latch mechanism
4. hood latches & release mechanisms
5. main body brake & fuel tubing
6. fuel tank & fuel hose connections
7. emissions tubes & hose connections (if applicable)
8. inner cowl insulation pad
9. firewall insulation pad
10. swing pedal(s)
11. brake booster (if applicable)
12. master cylinder
13. defroster duct
10.kick panel insulation pads
11.LH vent box (if applicable)
12.E-brake pedal assembly & front cable
12. heater box assembly
13. wiper mechanism
14. wiper motor
15. cowl vent screens (if applicable)
16. accelerator pedal & cable
17. dash assembly (completely assembled outside
of car including instrument cluster, dash pad, glove
box liner, radio, speaker, wiring, etc.)
18. Vent pull cables, defroster & vent cables
19. windshield
20. proportioning valve & metering block (if applicable)
21. firewall brake tubing
22. starter relay
23. forward lamp harness
24. engine harness
25. starter wiring
26. washer bottle & hoses
27. ballast resistor
28. voltage regulator
29. horn relay (Bbody cars)
30. horns
31. heater hoses
32. headlights
33. fender inner splash shields (front & rear of wheel)
34. rear suspension stop bumpers
35. rear seat belts (some bolt tips get undercoating)
36. rear shocks bolted in at top only & compressed
37. grille & headlight doors
38. front bumper
39. front valance (if applicable) with directionals
40. front & rear side marker lamps
41. rear bumper
42. radio antenna
43. fender emblems (if applicable)
44. rear of fender splash shields
45. undercoat wheelwells
46. exterior emblems
47. windshield & backlite stainless trim
48. windshield wiper arms & blades
49. other exterior trim
50. taillights
51. mid body/rear lamp wiring harness
52. dome lamp wiring harness
53. shoulder harness clips (if applicable)
54. rear grip strips (Bbody)
55. headliner
56. roofrail c-channels
57. roofrail weatherstrips
58. windshield & backlite moulding clips
59. windshield & backlite
60. upper control arms on body
61. fuel hose clamped on body side fuel tubing
with keystone crimp clamp
63. install rear leaf springs front only
64. position rear end housing on springs
65. loosely fasten u-bolts
66. lift rear axle into position and install shackles
67. connect e-brake cables
68. connect brake line tubing & hose
69. DRIVETRAIN SUBASSEMBLE
a. K-member
b. engine
c. carb(s)
d. starter
e. alternator
f. fan & fan clutch
g. power steering pump (if applicable)
h. belts
i. motor mounts
j. trans & related hardware
k. lower control arms
l. strut rods
m. center link, idler arm, tie rods
n. steering box & pitman arm
o. fuel pump and tubing
p. fan blade
q. radiator hoses

70. drop body onto drivetrain subassembly
71. connect heater hoses
72. install trans crossmember
73. install driveshaft
74. connect shift linkages
75. install z-bar (if applicable)
76. connect clutch linkage (if applicable)
77. plug in electrical connections to engine
78. position fan shroud over fan blade
79. install radiator & connect hoses
80. connect trans cooler (if applicable)
81. bolt up fan shroud
82. install torsion bars
83. install exhaust system
84. install rear valance (if applicable)
85. set car on the ground
86. install & align door and quarter glass
87. install steering column
88. install carpeting
89. install seat belts
90. install quarter interior trim panels
91. install rear seat
92. install console (if applicable)
93. install front seat(s)
94. install trunk mat
95. install spare tire
96. install bumper jack

There are many different sequences of assembly possible.
Sometimes I’ll jump from one area to another depending on parts available or other road blocks.
There are cases where the wrong order will give you headaches though!

Rick Kreuziger

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: RestoRick] #32505
12/06/06 01:35 PM
12/06/06 01:35 PM
BC
70RT27N Offline
enthusiast
70RT27N  Offline
enthusiast

BC

Rick, thank you very much for this list.

Aside from my suspension, I've been stuck around
step 7 for many months. This will make it a lot easier to remember how things go back together.

I'm sure I'm not the only member, who has had their 2 year plan turn into a 5-10 year plan.

3116431-IMG_2539M.JPG (192 downloads)
Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: 70RT27N] #32506
12/06/06 01:43 PM
12/06/06 01:43 PM
St. Louis, MO
Blues_Cuda Offline
master
Blues_Cuda  Offline
master

St. Louis, MO
Quote:

I'm sure I'm not the only member, who has had their 2 year plan turn into a 5-10 year plan.

I'm with you on that. Life in general & a lack of $$$ really put a stop to my plans of a timely restoration on my wife's '70 Barracuda. It's been back from the painter for over a year now...it's still not together.

It is getting a new windshield and the back window installed next week though.

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Blues_Cuda] #32507
12/06/06 03:12 PM
12/06/06 03:12 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
at the current rate, my car will NEVER be done!

I knew it was going to be a long and expensive process, and I wanted something "fun" to drive now. so I built a big block for my dakota...What I thought I could do in 3 months, has now been going on for 5 months...and cost me about 3 times what I originally expected.

and since this project has cost so much, the wife said that my car is on hold for a couple of years to pay off the engine/tranny build and swap for the 98 Dakota!

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Big Bad Bee] #32508
12/06/06 04:04 PM
12/06/06 04:04 PM
Tenn.
jrwoodjoe Offline
master
jrwoodjoe  Offline
master

Tenn.
The photos, Bag and Tag, etc. are extremely important. Rick has a nice assembly list there that is very helpful. (Rick )

Just something I would like to add is that no matter where you are on the project, if you can keep something going then it will help you to get it done that much faster. I am not saying rush or jump around but try to use your time wisely. I have a limited (fun car) budget and little time. I put a 3-5 year timetable on my resto. I have found that I may not always have 6 hrs straight available for doing some car stuff. I may only have an hour. Look at your tasks and see if there is one small task you can do that won't take long and that you won't be rushing and then plan to do it. It will help keep the project moving, your interest up, and hopefully your project won't stall out.

Good luck, I have been longing to see your finished car. What a great combo. Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger
Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Big Bad Bee] #32509
12/06/06 04:08 PM
12/06/06 04:08 PM
Connecticut
jeff968 Offline
master
jeff968  Offline
master

Connecticut
I've been on assembly for a few years now. Here's where I'm at:

There are some variations to how the car can go back together. I'm doing my body panels individually and installing them on the car. I plan to repaint the assembled car once I'm done. I run the risk of overspray (but I'll mask well) but the car will be all sorted out prior to the final paint job. My car was a burnt shell when I started so I have used Barry Washington's photo CDs of the 173 mile T/A as a guide on how my car should go back together. I've also taken about 20 of these cars apart in the last 29 years.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: 70Cuda383] #32510
12/06/06 04:23 PM
12/06/06 04:23 PM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

For WIW....

Consider this before disassembling your e-body..

Almost 90% of all cars disassembled (by the current owner) for restoration NEVER get re-assembled (by the current owner)

Don't be in a rush to disassemble the entire car...especially one that is as original and complete as yours...

It could be years before it gets reassembled if at all... (Things happen in life - for some reason => especially to mopar owners with disassembled cars!!! )

What is it that you really want to accomplish with your car....

A full restoration? Thats cool

Does that really mandate total disassembly first?

Storing and keeping track of every nut,bolt, widget, doo-hickey and screw is very tedious...

Box after box, big piece after big piece,
hood, fenders, doors, glass, suspension
transmission, drive-train, wheels, tires,
door panels, seats, the list goes on and on...

it can become very overwhelming very quickly...

You won't realize how much there is on a car
until you do this...

Keep in mind ....

Having a complete car the needs a total restoration is a VERY DIFFERENT thing than

Having a completely disassembled car
that needs a complete restoration...

with the latter, You have a very large mountain to climb... psychologically, it can be very daunting...

just my

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: OLD318] #32511
12/07/06 03:06 AM
12/07/06 03:06 AM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Guys, I want to thank you for all your comments. I have been on Moparts for three years and this is the most valuable post I have ever been a part of. Thank you. The reason I have waited a long 11 years to tear apart my car is because I didn't want it sitting around in parts and never being done. I am a very "anal" person. I want to do things right, and if I think that a project has the possibility of stalling, I would rather let it sit than to not count the cost and get in over my head without the funding to complete the job.

The most frightening thing about my project is the body work and paint. I don't have the income to get it done professionally so I must do it myself. I did two cars as a kid, a 69 satellite which was a roadrunner clone and a 70 grancoupe. I did body paint only on these cars, but that was long ago before cars were so RUSTY. I want to go about this project realistically and educated. You all have done a tremendous job with your lists and kind suggestions. Thank you so much.

I am in the process of trying to figure out what this car should look like top to bottom. I want a car that I can proudly show for the first two years after I am done, then a car that I can drive on the weekends after that. No numbers matching resto and no chromed out show poodle. Just a very tastefully done resto rod. You all have seen my sig pic for some time. I want a car that stands out and I think this combo does. I just don't want to make the project so big that I can't get her done.

I will be printing this post as I get set to get dirty. Keep the comments coming if you come up with more tips. Thanks guys. Stay tuned for pictures of my progress.

Lindy

Last edited by Quikfish; 12/07/06 11:57 AM.

I’m listening.
Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Big Bad Bee] #32512
12/07/06 01:17 PM
12/07/06 01:17 PM
Cincinnati, OH
6T6Cuda Offline
top fuel
6T6Cuda  Offline
top fuel

Cincinnati, OH
Here is what I did....

1. Start with the drivetrain and work out all the details here... - I also painted the engine compartment and got that done - then close the hood - that is DONE...

1a. Did all the brakes, suspension parts, etc.. (disk brake conversion, big bolt axles)

2. Drove to debug 1 and 1a - this is to find all the leaks and issues before you paint the car...

3. Removed the interrior from the firewall back detail all the little parts - get dash redone, seats, etc... Close the doors this is DONE!!!

4. Drive again to debug step 3...

5. Now do the exterior sand down to bare metal, prime paint remove trim, etc...

6. Drive and enjoy everyone looking at your car...

The key here is each of the steps is under a year long and you get to drive it in the middle as you are going along - this sure helps to keep the motovation going, help you save up money / parts for the next step.

Is this the best way to restore a car --- NO you do have to take things apart you have already done, clean things (like dust when doing the exterior), but the car is MOVABLE and DRIVEABLE as much as possible.

for an at home resto this is the way to go.

Not quite done but on the last step now... we will see how it turns out...

Also try to keep as many sub-asy together as long as you can - for example take the dash out as a unit, then leave it together until you are ready to work with it - then put it back together as a unit - unit done...

RAR II

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: 6T6Cuda] #32513
12/07/06 01:32 PM
12/07/06 01:32 PM
Shavertown, PA
biod929 Offline
enthusiast
biod929  Offline
enthusiast

Shavertown, PA
OK, i got the disassembly part covered. now where did I put all the parts? This is going to take a while

except for the supports i had to weld into the doors there's nothing else I can remove from the car now.Most of my parts are either labled in a bag, labeled in a box or photographed to some extent. Oh yeah, I bouhgt a factory shop manual or two as backup.

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Big Bad Bee] #32514
12/07/06 01:35 PM
12/07/06 01:35 PM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

Quote:

The most frightening thing about my project is the body work and paint. I don't have the income to get it done professionally so I must do it myself....

Don't let bodywork scare you.... granted its not for everyone, but if your into it..its a lot of fun....

To ease some of your anxiety, I'd like you to
at least consider checking out your local community college (or vo-tech school) for a collision/body repair program...

There, you can learn everything you need to redo your car (to whatever level you choose).

You can actually redo the car in class (under supervision)and pick up a lot of help/consultation/tips from the instructor along the way.... You'll also be surrounded by guys JUST LIKE YOU...

You'll learn to weld, measure the frame,
level body filler, prime , paint, detail, featheredge the list goes on... All at your own pace... You don't have to impress ANYBODY, just make sure your enjoying it yourself along the way.

Resist the urge to try and do it all at once...
Do one panel at a time...don't be in a rush...

Start simple, a trunk lid is a great place to start...

For example, You can put that the backseat or your car, and go to a body class = work on it there, and bring it home...Never mind how long it takes you to get it where you want it...
But don't do ANYTHING else on the body until thats finished inside and out...

Once its as pretty as you want it...put it back on the car, align it right, and then...
Get the hood!!!

Then grab one fender, then the next,

After 3 or 4 iterations, you'll have gained enough
experience to start doing more at home in the garage w/o feeling overwhelmed...

Take this approach, and you'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish...

Just my
Good Luck ...

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: flypaper] #32515
12/07/06 01:40 PM
12/07/06 01:40 PM
BC
70RT27N Offline
enthusiast
70RT27N  Offline
enthusiast

BC
Quote:

This is the most important thing to do before starting. Take as many pictures as you can before you start and during every step of removal. When you think you have enough pictures, take 100 more random shots moving the camara a few inches at a time. You wouldn't believe what little details you will need to know during re-assembly. Shoot a video if you can. That's something I wish I had done.

Good luck

Last edited by 70RT27N; 12/07/06 03:00 PM.
Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: 70RT27N] #32516
12/07/06 02:11 PM
12/07/06 02:11 PM
St. Louis, MO
Blues_Cuda Offline
master
Blues_Cuda  Offline
master

St. Louis, MO
Quote:

Quote:

This is the most important thing to do before starting. Take as many pictures as you can before you start and during every step of removal. When you think you have enough pictures, take 100 more random shots moving the camara a few inches at a time. You wouldn't believe what little details you will need to know during re-assembly. Shot a video if you can. That's something I wish I had done.

Good luck

I agree...I always go back to my pictures for reference. Things you 'think' you will NOT forget can be forgotten otherwise...at least in my case.

Re: Disassembly of the e body. [Re: Blues_Cuda] #32517
12/07/06 09:45 PM
12/07/06 09:45 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is the most important thing to do before starting. Take as many pictures as you can before you start and during every step of removal. When you think you have enough pictures, take 100 more random shots moving the camara a few inches at a time. You wouldn't believe what little details you will need to know during re-assembly. Shot a video if you can. That's something I wish I had done.

Good luck

I agree...I always go back to my pictures for reference. Things you 'think' you will NOT forget can be forgotten otherwise...at least in my case.

TOTALLY! I can hardly remember where I just set my wrench, much less how assemblies go back together.

I’m listening.