07/26/24 02:44 PM
07/26/24 02:44 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

I am working an a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Base model Automatic.

They wanted me to pick it up and charge the AC. On the way home I noticed the gauges quit working, the low fuel light dinged when the fuel gauge dropped to zero but I didn't think to much about it. I have worked on lots of cars that clusters worked intermittently and it didn't affect the AC.

I won't go into all the problems on this car but the wiring under the hood looks like it was installed by blind men with hatchets.

Replaced the leaky High Side valve, charged the AC and ready to go, I thought.

Taking it back and the gauges quit, low fuel dings, AC QUIT. The fan dropped to low speed and the compressor kicked off. I turn around and on the way back to my place the gauges restart working along with the AC.

Back at my place. I pull the engine codes, 2 codes both MAP sensor reading too high, 1 stored and 1 pending. The readiness monitors were cleared and I never disconnected the battery or pulled a fuse. Car running reads codes fine. Gauges drop, low fuel dings, can not connect to the OBD system, car is still running fine. I shut it off and restart, the gauges work and OBD connects fine.

So best I can figure is the (or a) computer module is loosing connection, power or malfunctioning causing dash and climate controls to shut off BUT THE CAR RUNS PERFECTLY FINE. Transmission shifts fine too when the gauges are dead.

I am not the only one this has happened to. I can find about 4 or 5 people on the internet looking for the answer to the exact same problem but nobody seems t have it.

Checked fuses moved relays and I am about to deep dive into the ECU connector inside the air box.

Any Ideas?

Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: IMGTX] #3247490
07/26/24 04:05 PM
07/26/24 04:05 PM
New Jersey
P
Powerflow Offline
pro stock
Powerflow  Offline
pro stock
P

New Jersey
Completely from left field, but can it be a worn ignition switch that intermittently loses contact due to key movement (large/heavy key ring shakes on bumps).

Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: Powerflow] #3247511
07/26/24 06:46 PM
07/26/24 06:46 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
I've replaced a few failed switches in GM cars of that era so not a bad idea. I can't remember if those had ignition voltage in their datastream but if you have a scanner it's worth checking.

LS equipped trucks in that era were known for breaking the ground wire at the back of the intake. That would typically shut things down though.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: ruderunner] #3247515
07/26/24 07:11 PM
07/26/24 07:11 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Not sure this will help.

I had an 86 Daytona that would shut everything down electrical, but the engine, occasionally. I about tore my hair out trying to figure it out and it wasn't until a bud needed a jump and neither of us had jumper cables. So I hot swapped my charged battery for his drained battery.

That fixed my problem, so I bought a new battery.

Only thing I could figure was that the original battery had some sort of intermittent fault.

Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: Sniper] #3247612
07/27/24 09:31 AM
07/27/24 09:31 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Can you run a diagnostic on the instrument cluster on a GM the way you can on a Mopar?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: Sniper] #3247644
07/27/24 12:03 PM
07/27/24 12:03 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by Sniper
Not sure this will help.

I had an 86 Daytona that would shut everything down electrical, but the engine, occasionally. I about tore my hair out trying to figure it out and it wasn't until a bud needed a jump and neither of us had jumper cables. So I hot swapped my charged battery for his drained battery.

That fixed my problem, so I bought a new battery.

Only thing I could figure was that the original battery had some sort of intermittent fault.

my one minivan did the same thing. a new battery cured everything.
if the OP's battery is old, that may be a good thing to consider replacing the battery. even if you can get a year or two used battery at the junkyard.
i have had great luck buying almost new battery's when needed at the local scrap yard. you can get almost new ones there for only $20.00 plus a core of any type or size.
beer

Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: moparx] #3247773
07/27/24 11:01 PM
07/27/24 11:01 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
the newer batteries are not like the old ones and can cause some very strange things. Worth a try IMO twocents

Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: IMGTX] #3247874
07/28/24 02:03 PM
07/28/24 02:03 PM
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Thank you all for great advice. It inspired me to look at all those issues which helped.

I checked the ignition switch and it seemed fine with no fluctuations in voltage but it is a common problem.

I went to work fixing the hatchet job wiring under the hood and also removed a poorly installed dealer installed GPS tracker under the dash that had disabled the OBD port.

I replaced the 2 relays that control the engine electronics because they were turning from grey to brown from heat. This was a big help. I did not not expect it to be the problem since the car made no stumbles or weird issues with running, but it did. Apparently they were causing voltage fluctuations when they started to heat up.

The battery would probably have helped BUT, under the incorrectly sized battery, was a severely bent frame rail that prevented the factory battery from being installed. I told the owner about the problem but nothing else could be done with that.

After resolving many of the issues it got better but it is not completely fixed. Fixing the more obvious problems allowed me to narrow it down to the final problem, the BCM, which I can not program, so I sent it packing.

I still can not figure out why the readiness monitors are getting cleared but it will remember the OBD error codes. shruggy

Someone sold him a poorly repaired wreck and sadly he will probably spend the rest of the car's life chasing problems.

The owner is a good guy who has lots of cars. 3 times this summer he has asked me to replace the AC compressor on a car/van/trucks and 3 times it was just a simple fix. He pays extra when I save him money by being honest. I need more clients like him.

Thanks again. up

Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: IMGTX] #3248105
07/29/24 12:10 PM
07/29/24 12:10 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
electrical system "repairs" [to me] follow the "Paul Kepple School of Wiring". [a local "expert" whistling biggrin]
you had to know that "genius" of a guy to under stand his "automotive expertise". panic laugh2
beer

Re: Wierd problem on a GM.. Advice? [Re: IMGTX] #3248223
07/29/24 06:38 PM
07/29/24 06:38 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Thank you all for great advice. It inspired me to look at all those issues which helped.

I checked the ignition switch and it seemed fine with no fluctuations in voltage but it is a common problem.

I went to work fixing the hatchet job wiring under the hood and also removed a poorly installed dealer installed GPS tracker under the dash that had disabled the OBD port.

I replaced the 2 relays that control the engine electronics because they were turning from grey to brown from heat. This was a big help. I did not not expect it to be the problem since the car made no stumbles or weird issues with running, but it did. Apparently they were causing voltage fluctuations when they started to heat up.

The battery would probably have helped BUT, under the incorrectly sized battery, was a severely bent frame rail that prevented the factory battery from being installed. I told the owner about the problem but nothing else could be done with that.

After resolving many of the issues it got better but it is not completely fixed. Fixing the more obvious problems allowed me to narrow it down to the final problem, the BCM, which I can not program, so I sent it packing.

I still can not figure out why the readiness monitors are getting cleared but it will remember the OBD error codes. shruggy

Someone sold him a poorly repaired wreck and sadly he will probably spend the rest of the car's life chasing problems.

The owner is a good guy who has lots of cars. 3 times this summer he has asked me to replace the AC compressor on a car/van/trucks and 3 times it was just a simple fix. He pays extra when I save him money by being honest. I need more clients like him.

Thanks again. up

Been awhile but iirc monitors will reset if the pcm loses battery power. Codes are often stored even if the battery gets disconnected. Sounds like you don't have battery power to the puter.

Angry white pureblood male