07/26/24 02:38 PM
07/26/24 02:38 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
This would be a good point to be sure the egr valve is not leaking. A removal and cleaning the carbon off the surfaces may help a lot. Over the years, faulty egr valves have caused a lot of stumbles and hesitations. If they are leaking exhaust into the intake when its not suppose to be is a pretty regular occurrence. Worn stems in the egr valve tend to cause a vacuum leak as well.

We are all assuming you have inspected all the vacuum hoses to be sure none of them are faulty, correct?

As far as my help, its been 30+ years for both me and 50 years of wear for the car, since I've dealt with this stuff. This thread is like going down memory lane for me.

Re: 75 Duster carb issue [Re: cdwmotorsports] #3247554
07/26/24 10:55 PM
07/26/24 10:55 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports
Originally Posted by ThermoQuad
1975 emission systems had a factory work around where the egr was disabled and the vac adv hooked up to unported vauum etc. I owned such a beast and had the factory docs.
Not anymore so in the meantime disconnect the egr, put the vac adv on ported

- you do not have the car set up properly with the timing so please pay attention.

Give the timing as much advance as it will tolerate without detonation

I literally started messing with the timing yesterday at about 7:30 PM, it's a work in progress. I am working on a car that isn't mine. I don't know who has done what to it aside from what I have done. I am reporting what I find. I chose 6 degrees BTDC based on information gathered from a thread on the slant6 forums website. Some of the posts of the users there are gone so I got limited info for a baseline.

Also any idea which spot is ported vacuum or how I can figure it out?

The ported outlet should have no vacuum at idle and should increase as the throttle is slowly opened.

Did you happen to verify that the timing is returning to its initial setting at idle and not hanging up or "floating" down?

Also verify Total timing. beer

Re: 75 Duster carb issue [Re: TJP] #3247561
07/26/24 11:40 PM
07/26/24 11:40 PM
Martinsville, IN
C
cdwmotorsports Offline OP
pro stock
cdwmotorsports  Offline OP
pro stock
C

Martinsville, IN
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports
Originally Posted by ThermoQuad
1975 emission systems had a factory work around where the egr was disabled and the vac adv hooked up to unported vauum etc. I owned such a beast and had the factory docs.
Not anymore so in the meantime disconnect the egr, put the vac adv on ported

- you do not have the car set up properly with the timing so please pay attention.

Give the timing as much advance as it will tolerate without detonation

I literally started messing with the timing yesterday at about 7:30 PM, it's a work in progress. I am working on a car that isn't mine. I don't know who has done what to it aside from what I have done. I am reporting what I find. I chose 6 degrees BTDC based on information gathered from a thread on the slant6 forums website. Some of the posts of the users there are gone so I got limited info for a baseline.

Also any idea which spot is ported vacuum or how I can figure it out?

The ported outlet should have no vacuum at idle and should increase as the throttle is slowly opened.

Did you happen to verify that the timing is returning to its initial setting at idle and not hanging up or "floating" down?

Also verify Total timing. beer

Based upon n your statement about the ported vacuum the vacuum advance is already hooked to a port like that.

eBay-cdwmotorsports
Re: 75 Duster carb issue [Re: cdwmotorsports] #3247772
07/27/24 10:57 PM
07/27/24 10:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
That's good, disconnect + plug the port. See if the 60 mph surging goes away beer

Re: 75 Duster carb issue [Re: TJP] #3249198
08/03/24 11:12 AM
08/03/24 11:12 AM
Martinsville, IN
C
cdwmotorsports Offline OP
pro stock
cdwmotorsports  Offline OP
pro stock
C

Martinsville, IN
Originally Posted by TJP
That's good, disconnect + plug the port. See if the 60 mph surging goes away beer

FYI this is on hold for now. It drives better still stumbles and has a lesser surge with the EGR unplugged and capped. My Demon needs to get buttoned up for dragweek and this isn't a priority until then.

eBay-cdwmotorsports
Page 2 of 2 1 2