05/03/24 10:25 AM
05/03/24 10:25 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
speaking of the "leaning tower of power", has anyone done [or know of one done] a maximum gas mileage engine build of one, and if so, what vehicle was it installed in and what were the results ?
beer

Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: moparx] #3230927
05/04/24 02:09 AM
05/04/24 02:09 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Originally Posted by moparx
speaking of the "leaning tower of power", has anyone done [or know of one done] a maximum gas mileage engine build of one, and if so, what vehicle was it installed in and what were the results ?
beer

There used to be a guy on the Slant board who did that with a 69 Dart. He built an economy motor, had a 5 speed adapted in, and did a bunch of experiments with aero on it. He drove a ton of miles evety day for work. Seems lkke he got close to 30mpg with it.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: slantzilla] #3230996
05/04/24 01:02 PM
05/04/24 01:02 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
My brother has had an electric car for 8 years and he's been happy with it. Free charging. Parks it on the street at his place, commutes once a month about 300 miles roundtrip. Otherwise just drives around town doing dad things. Resale is bad but he just keeps driving it as the car is still nice and drives well.

I was thinking of getting one myself as I am getting about 14mpg in my car and even though I just drive around town mostly with gas nearing $7/gal (thanks, California 🤬) the fuel bill is really adding up. I don't like the idea of a fully electric car yet and may never but am thinking about a plug-in hybrid. I can put a solar setup with a battery on my garage (no permit needed), charge up the car overnight, and pretty much only need to buy gas if I am going on a longer trip. Almost all my driving now is taking the kids here, taking them there, going to lunch, going to Target, going to the grocery store, meeting up with friends, etc. All of this is putt putting around our little fake island where the max roundtrip anywhere is 15 miles.

I am looking at a 2023 or 2024 Mitsubishi Highlander SUV which can go 38 miles electric-only after which the gas engine kicks in. I don't drive 38 miles in a day and this would work out perfectly for me. When I need a gas engine, it's there waiting. For my regular driving, though, it's all electric powered through a solar setup. I am just waiting for the 2023s to hit the rental-car-resale market in a few months (which will depress prices for that SUV across the board, like what is happening with Tesla 3s right now).

I might regret it but I bet I don't.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: calmopar] #3231003
05/04/24 02:59 PM
05/04/24 02:59 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by calmopar
My brother has had an electric car for 8 years and he's been happy with it. Free charging. Parks it on the street at his place, commutes once a month about 300 miles roundtrip. Otherwise just drives around town doing dad things. Resale is bad but he just keeps driving it as the car is still nice and drives well.

I was thinking of getting one myself as I am getting about 14mpg in my car and even though I just drive around town mostly with gas nearing $7/gal (thanks, California 🤬) the fuel bill is really adding up. I don't like the idea of a fully electric car yet and may never but am thinking about a plug-in hybrid. I can put a solar setup with a battery on my garage (no permit needed), charge up the car overnight, and pretty much only need to buy gas if I am going on a longer trip. Almost all my driving now is taking the kids here, taking them there, going to lunch, going to Target, going to the grocery store, meeting up with friends, etc. All of this is putt putting around our little fake island where the max roundtrip anywhere is 15 miles.

I am looking at a 2023 or 2024 Mitsubishi Highlander SUV which can go 38 miles electric-only after which the gas engine kicks in. I don't drive 38 miles in a day and this would work out perfectly for me. When I need a gas engine, it's there waiting. For my regular driving, though, it's all electric powered through a solar setup. I am just waiting for the 2023s to hit the rental-car-resale market in a few months (which will depress prices for that SUV across the board, like what is happening with Tesla 3s right now).

I might regret it but I bet I don't.

Years ago I was driving a 64 300 around as my DD. Some clowns asked me why I didn't sell it and get something that got better mileage. Told them I wouldn't save enough on gas mileage to even break even on a car payment, much less the increased insurance.

The abyss stared back at me.

Yes, it was in California too.

I currently drive a 51 Plymouth around as my DD. Full coverage is $500 a year. I get about 17 mpg around town, which is where I pretty much all I drive it exclusively.

No hybrid/EV is going to save me any money,

Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: Sniper] #3231130
05/05/24 11:42 AM
05/05/24 11:42 AM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
Back in 1978, General Motors came out with a diesel engine. The very troublesome, 5.7 diesel engine. Within 10 years, it was nearly impossible to find a buyer for a diesel powered car!! At this point, it looks like the EV market will likely turn out in a similar manner. It might take a little longer this time though.

Sometimes the proponents of new technology fail to make a practical application of their ideas. In my opinion, these EV's are a great example of this situation. There are MANY issues with these vehicles that need to be worked out before they can be used as practical transportation for most people. (As most of us on this web board recognize!)

A similar situation exists with fuel economy standards. To meet high fuel economy standards, auto makers have made cars smaller. The height and waistline of the average American has been growing larger in recent decades. Building smaller cars for larger people means fewer people will fit into the cars. Those who do not fit in the tiny cars will buy larger SUV's and pick-up trucks, which use more fuel. So the quest for reduce fuel consumption backfires and actually increases fuel consumption. Common sense seems to be lacking in such decisions!

Electric vehicles can be a good choice for a FEW people. I read a story about a guy who bought a well used Prius with a weak battery for not much more than the price of a junk car. His goal was to have a beater car to drive to work. He installed some gulf cart batteries in it (This reduced his driving range, but that did not matter since he lived close to his job.). He installed a charging system using solar panels for power. He worked at night, so the car could charge all day long. He reported that he could easily drive to work and do a few errands on his way home with the Prius. His fuel cost was essentially zero. His total investment in the car was quite low. And the most important benefit: he did not worry about anyone vandalizing or stealing the ugly old Prius while he worked. The car worked out very well for him, in his situation. Obviously, most people have a very different lifestyle, so the needs of most folks will be different than his needs.

Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: QuickDodge] #3231172
05/05/24 03:26 PM
05/05/24 03:26 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
That just goes to prove the old adage: 'There's a butt for every seat'. laugh2

Master, again and still
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: QuickDodge] #3231274
05/06/24 01:43 AM
05/06/24 01:43 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by QuickDodge
Back in 1978, General Motors came out with a diesel engine. The very troublesome, 5.7 diesel engine. Within 10 years, it was nearly impossible to find a buyer for a diesel powered car!! At this point, it looks like the EV market will likely turn out in a similar manner. It might take a little longer this time though.

Sometimes the proponents of new technology fail to make a practical application of their ideas. In my opinion, these EV's are a great example of this situation. There are MANY issues with these vehicles that need to be worked out before they can be used as practical transportation for most people. (As most of us on this web board recognize!)

A similar situation exists with fuel economy standards. To meet high fuel economy standards, auto makers have made cars smaller. The height and waistline of the average American has been growing larger in recent decades. Building smaller cars for larger people means fewer people will fit into the cars. Those who do not fit in the tiny cars will buy larger SUV's and pick-up trucks, which use more fuel. So the quest for reduce fuel consumption backfires and actually increases fuel consumption. Common sense seems to be lacking in such decisions!

Electric vehicles can be a good choice for a FEW people. I read a story about a guy who bought a well used Prius with a weak battery for not much more than the price of a junk car. His goal was to have a beater car to drive to work. He installed some gulf cart batteries in it (This reduced his driving range, but that did not matter since he lived close to his job.). He installed a charging system using solar panels for power. He worked at night, so the car could charge all day long. He reported that he could easily drive to work and do a few errands on his way home with the Prius. His fuel cost was essentially zero. His total investment in the car was quite low. And the most important benefit: he did not worry about anyone vandalizing or stealing the ugly old Prius while he worked. The car worked out very well for him, in his situation. Obviously, most people have a very different lifestyle, so the needs of most folks will be different than his needs.

Life is too short (my feelings) to drive a beater around all the time. We have one time around here - drive what you want if you can afford it. I like my 2017 Hemi Ram, my 2016 300, & my 2016 SPS Challenger. And my AAR & '72 Cuda 340.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3231300
05/06/24 08:53 AM
05/06/24 08:53 AM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

my buddy just leased a 24 caddy liriq- 62k msrp, dealer demo with 1000miles on the odometer - 24mos lease , 380 a month with 3k down - smokin deal if u can live with a 300mile range, and the slow charge with a 110V charger...

Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: massdaytona] #3231305
05/06/24 09:11 AM
05/06/24 09:11 AM
Az
69hemibeep Offline
pro stock
69hemibeep  Offline
pro stock

Az
Originally Posted by massdaytona
my buddy just leased a 24 caddy liriq- 62k msrp, dealer demo with 1000miles on the odometer - 24mos lease , 380 a month with 3k down - smokin deal if u can live with a 300mile range, and the slow charge with a 110V charger...
Good deal but 300 miles under ideal conditions and all the bells and whistles in a caddy turned off.

1969 Hemi Roadrunner 2nd owner
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: 69hemibeep] #3231316
05/06/24 09:27 AM
05/06/24 09:27 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by 69hemibeep

Good deal but 300 miles under ideal conditions and all the bells and whistles in a caddy turned off.

What is one to do if they want to go somewhere over 150 miles from home, rent a different car for the trip? Ain't happening to this guy.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: massdaytona] #3231328
05/06/24 10:27 AM
05/06/24 10:27 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.

Looks like you live in the northeast. Get back to us this winter and let us know how his $62,000 Cadillac fairs.

www.consumerreports.org/cars/hybrid...-affect-an-evs-driving-range-a5751769461

Master, again and still
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: DaveRS23] #3231336
05/06/24 10:59 AM
05/06/24 10:59 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
SUPER deals right now on the Fisker products. Assuming you can figure out how to fix them yourself once the company goes bankrupt. Currently trading on the NYSE at $0.052/share. Jump on now while you can.

LOL....break a door hinge, they total the car. This sure seems 'efficient' to me

https://carbuzz.com/fisker-ocean-totaled-over-broken-hinge/

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: massdaytona] #3231417
05/06/24 03:09 PM
05/06/24 03:09 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma

I just saw an article today that the Lyriq is one of the few EVs that are seeing increased sales. You can get must faster chargers than a 110v version.

I just checked and our local dealer has thirteen in stock which is almost unheard of here in oil country.

Contrary to popular belief EVs are still selling just not at the rate they were at one time. In my opinion they can make sense for some folks but they are for sure not for everyone.

Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: 69hemibeep] #3231425
05/06/24 03:35 PM
05/06/24 03:35 PM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Originally Posted by 69hemibeep

haha... it has 500hp, and he wanted to see how quick it was, hit the gas and it pinned him, and he watched the miles remaining go down.... and yep in the winter it def goes down- as to getting a quicker charger, that works if u r going ev for this and your next vehicle - he says the 110V charge gives u 2 to 2 1/2 miles per hr of charging - after 10hrs he had and add. 22miles... but if u only stay local and need a new vehicle , 385 a month is dirt cheap...

Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: massdaytona] #3231497
05/06/24 10:48 PM
05/06/24 10:48 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Any of you mathamajicians that think an EV is 'cheap' has to realize that once the government gets everyone in one, then they have full control. How do you envision they are going to collect road tax that currently NOBODY driving an EV is paying????? Think this thru folks.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: oldjonny] #3231539
05/07/24 10:16 AM
05/07/24 10:16 AM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by oldjonny
Any of you mathamajicians that think an EV is 'cheap' has to realize that once the government gets everyone in one, then they have full control. How do you envision they are going to collect road tax that currently NOBODY driving an EV is paying????? Think this thru folks.

GPS tracking. Michigan is exploring the idea and Utah and Oregon are doing it.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: MarkZ] #3231547
05/07/24 11:12 AM
05/07/24 11:12 AM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by MarkZ

GPS tracking. Michigan is exploring the idea and Utah and Oregon are doing it.

I’ve been saying that for many years. GPS will be linked to registration, and eventually include mileage tax, road tolling, and even speeding tickets. And of course knowing where US citizens are and we’re they are going. Control, all about control.

Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: oldjonny] #3231548
05/07/24 11:19 AM
05/07/24 11:19 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon

Nope. No extra fees are collected on EVs to go towards roads. Nothing at all. work

https://money.com/states-ev-fees-200-dollars/

Or for a deeper dive: https://www.atlasevhub.com/data_story/ev-drivers-in-36-states-pay-a-surplus-of-fees-each-year/

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: EV resale values are falling..........fast [Re: hooziewhatsit] #3231556
05/07/24 12:04 PM
05/07/24 12:04 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit

Nope. No extra fees are collected on EVs to go towards roads. Nothing at all. work

https://money.com/states-ev-fees-200-dollars/

Or for a deeper dive: https://www.atlasevhub.com/data_story/ev-drivers-in-36-states-pay-a-surplus-of-fees-each-year/

I read through the second link there Hoozie, and the entire study is highly questionable because of this premise:

we also assumed a driver is charging only at Electrify America stations because of the charging company’s nationwide network; while most charging is done at home today, many potential new EV drivers will not have ready access to home charging because they park on the street, are renters, or otherwise do not have easy access to power where they park. As such, the illustration presented here does not reflect the experience for drivers who have ready access to home charging. This challenge is especially present for low-income households and those in disadvantaged communities.

The author is making assumptions based on future protentional customers, whom many of which are currently priced out of the market for BEV.

Off-peak to peak rates around here are about 13c/kwh to 24c/kwh. Common Electrify America rates are 48c/kwh. Double the peak heavy usage rate of in-home and the study used the most expensive charging option, then justified it using a potential future customer base that isn't representative of the current owners.

This isn't anywhere near accurate enough to be used to discuss current costs vs ICE.

Toss in the thousands of dollars worth of tax incentives the government gives and this entire line of reasoning goes right out the window.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3