My brother has had an electric car for 8 years and he's been happy with it. Free charging. Parks it on the street at his place, commutes once a month about 300 miles roundtrip. Otherwise just drives around town doing dad things. Resale is bad but he just keeps driving it as the car is still nice and drives well.

I was thinking of getting one myself as I am getting about 14mpg in my car and even though I just drive around town mostly with gas nearing $7/gal (thanks, California 🤬) the fuel bill is really adding up. I don't like the idea of a fully electric car yet and may never but am thinking about a plug-in hybrid. I can put a solar setup with a battery on my garage (no permit needed), charge up the car overnight, and pretty much only need to buy gas if I am going on a longer trip. Almost all my driving now is taking the kids here, taking them there, going to lunch, going to Target, going to the grocery store, meeting up with friends, etc. All of this is putt putting around our little fake island where the max roundtrip anywhere is 15 miles.

I am looking at a 2023 or 2024 Mitsubishi Highlander SUV which can go 38 miles electric-only after which the gas engine kicks in. I don't drive 38 miles in a day and this would work out perfectly for me. When I need a gas engine, it's there waiting. For my regular driving, though, it's all electric powered through a solar setup. I am just waiting for the 2023s to hit the rental-car-resale market in a few months (which will depress prices for that SUV across the board, like what is happening with Tesla 3s right now).

I might regret it but I bet I don't.

Trying to enjoy life!