04/04/24 10:43 AM
04/04/24 10:43 AM
PA
70Duster Offline OP
top fuel
70Duster  Offline OP
top fuel

PA
I was looking for a Challenger Hellcat a year ago and the prices were insane. Many dealers were asking well over MSRP for new ones and many used ones were priced over original MSRP. So I went a different direction and bought a different performance vehicle. Now it seems the dealers are offering steep discounts off MSRP on new 23's and you can find nice low mileage late model used ones for $50 to $60K. Not sure how to explain the difference a year makes.

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: 70Duster] #3224987
04/04/24 12:02 PM
04/04/24 12:02 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Screw buying a new hot rod when you can build one that is faster and better looking for half their asking prices scope

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: 70Duster] #3224995
04/04/24 12:24 PM
04/04/24 12:24 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I think it has to do with the economy / peoples pocket books, combined with the supply chain problems. For a time there were a limited line of supplies like chips. To make money the car companies used what they had to make high dollar cars with high profit. The people who could afford them have bought them and now the remaining population can't afford them.

At least that is my perception.

I agree with CAB

Last edited by IMGTX; 04/04/24 12:30 PM.
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: IMGTX] #3225030
04/04/24 02:14 PM
04/04/24 02:14 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
I just bought two new Kenworth's and 1 new Peterbilt. .. needed them for at least last 2 1/2-3 years but, couldn't get anything and when you did they held prices high .. these were all discounted between 25-30k each

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: bigdad] #3225033
04/04/24 02:19 PM
04/04/24 02:19 PM
lino lakes, mn
S
Schultz62 Offline
enthusiast
Schultz62  Offline
enthusiast
S

lino lakes, mn
I believe it may have to do with higher interest rates and much less easily obtainable financing. Drove by a 'bargain lot' on my way to work today that's closing. Up until a few months ago I saw probably 2 car haulers per week dropping off inventory. shruggy

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: IMGTX] #3225048
04/04/24 03:36 PM
04/04/24 03:36 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Originally Posted by IMGTX
I think it has to do with the economy / peoples pocket books, combined with the supply chain problems. For a time there were a limited line of supplies like chips. To make money the car companies used what they had to make high dollar cars with high profit. The people who could afford them have bought them and now the remaining population can't afford them.

At least that is my perception.

I agree with CAB

I think that's it. Then you add in that they were pushing them hard and everything came to a stand still when they stopped Charger production that they're falling off peoples radars now,

I'd love to have one but they're still out of my price range and I have other things to spend my car budget on.

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3225054
04/04/24 04:14 PM
04/04/24 04:14 PM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Screw buying a new hot rod when you can build one that is faster and better looking for half their asking prices scope

faster, maybe, better looking maybe... but more comfortable, quieter, a/c for the summer, radio that works.... for 1/2 the price... i doubt it

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: massdaytona] #3225068
04/04/24 05:07 PM
04/04/24 05:07 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Correct. I have one old one left and bought two '23 Hellcats. Why not. I'm not going to live forever. They are quiet, ridiculously quick and ride way better than anything else I own.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: oldjonny] #3225069
04/04/24 05:24 PM
04/04/24 05:24 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
When times are good, people spend money on toys. When times get hard, they sell the toys, and only spend money on what they need.

Its not just Hellcats. Lots of people are only buying what they really need. Lots of places have hard inventory they couldn't get 2 years ago, but the customer count has really dropped off. Lots of stuff has come to nearly a complete stop around here in about the last 4 months. Nearly all the stores, businesses, and restaurants have very few customers. If it hasn't yet where you are at, you better get ready for it. The slow down is coming soon to your area as well.

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: massdaytona] #3225092
04/04/24 07:49 PM
04/04/24 07:49 PM
Berlin NJ
scottk Offline
mopar
scottk  Offline
mopar

Berlin NJ
Originally Posted by massdaytona
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

faster, maybe, better looking maybe... but more comfortable, quieter, a/c for the summer, radio that works.... for 1/2 the price... i doubt it

whistling

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: scottk] #3225100
04/04/24 08:12 PM
04/04/24 08:12 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Hellcat was a 58K car back in 2015. Its the same car. Covid hit, supply issues - that are no longer. You should still be able to get one for 58,000. Anyone that paid more is a fool and a sucker

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: Dart 500] #3225143
04/05/24 12:14 AM
04/05/24 12:14 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
It’s like dodge killed the demand by giving up on the cars. After the initial frenzy to get the 170s and super stockers, the buyers dried up. I’ve considered one, but just couldn’t justify the cost. Now cars are piled up all over and the discounts only kicked in a few weeks ago. One I’d take is holding firm at sticker. Screw those guys. I don’t think they like my commentary about inventory having a birthday, etc. or ads I’ve sent for cheaper cars with same msrp, even saying price match. They won’t price match. Why would I bother with them then?

One dealer has something like 50 hellcats, another has a dozen scats.

I want my fair share
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: Dart 500] #3225152
04/05/24 05:25 AM
04/05/24 05:25 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by Dart 500
Hellcat was a 58K car back in 2015. Its the same car. Covid hit, supply issues - that are no longer. You should still be able to get one for 58,000. Anyone that paid more is a fool and a sucker

Currently when prices appear to be dropping its that the dealer has reduced their tacked on "Market Adjustments" which is just a greed fee slapped on because many were willing to pay it two years ago. The "Lowered" prices as seen now are really just more closer to MSRP. TKs Garage is a Youtuber that- after legal research goes after new car dealerships for flat out screwing customers with illegal tactics. Dodge dealers make up most of his video line up. State attorney generals have gotten involved as a result of him (and others on YT) shedding light on these dealers criminality.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: 2boltmain] #3225169
04/05/24 09:10 AM
04/05/24 09:10 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
When the Hellcats were introduced, I watched them closely thinking I might just pull the trigger on a good used one. After Dodge started building all they could sell, the depreciation on them was averaging over $550 a month. At one point, the original owner of a red one with 8,000 miles offered me the car for $42k. I thought hard about it, but thought why not wait a couple more months and get one for under $40k. So I offered $39.5k. He declined. And at about the same time, they started regaining value.

What will happen to Hellcat values in the near term seems to indicate another round of steep depreciation. How deep, how long? Who knows? And that will vary between certain models and even certain colors.

The moral of this story is typical of all cars. They are a volatile commodity. Just look at our Mopar muscle cars. They went from near worthless to total market value setters. Who knew?

So right now, buying a Hellcat is for those that can afford to risk losing a good amount of their purchase price. At least in the short term. And since miles are such a big deal, the more a buyer would enjoy driving their car, the more dollars that are flying out the window, too. Not a good situation for a lot of buyers.

Master, again and still
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: 2boltmain] #3225173
04/05/24 09:21 AM
04/05/24 09:21 AM
Morgan Hill, CA
ackpht Offline
master
ackpht  Offline
master

Morgan Hill, CA
Inflation and higher interest rates mean fewer would-be buyers have the means to pay for a Hellcat than five years ago.

Since the cars are now out of production, the MSRP no longer means anything.

They're worth whatever someone will pay for them.

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: ackpht] #3225175
04/05/24 09:37 AM
04/05/24 09:37 AM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

[

quote=ackpht]
They're worth whatever someone will pay for them.

[/quote]

isn't that true with just about anything you buy????

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: DaveRS23] #3225289
04/05/24 08:22 PM
04/05/24 08:22 PM
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
moparmike1 Offline
top fuel
moparmike1  Offline
top fuel

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
When the Hellcats were introduced, I watched them closely thinking I might just pull the trigger on a good used one. After Dodge started building all they could sell, the depreciation on them was averaging over $550 a month. At one point, the original owner of a red one with 8,000 miles offered me the car for $42k. I thought hard about it, but thought why not wait a couple more months and get one for under $40k. So I offered $39.5k. He declined. And at about the same time, they started regaining value.

What will happen to Hellcat values in the near term seems to indicate another round of steep depreciation. How deep, how long? Who knows? And that will vary between certain models and even certain colors.

The moral of this story is typical of all cars. They are a volatile commodity. Just look at our Mopar muscle cars. They went from near worthless to total market value setters. Who knew?

So right now, buying a Hellcat is for those that can afford to risk losing a good amount of their purchase price. At least in the short term. And since miles are such a big deal, the more a buyer would enjoy driving their car, the more dollars that are flying out the window, too. Not a good situation for a lot of buyers.

So, you offered 94% of the original owner's price? $39.5k vs $42k. And, he declined. Wonder what he sold it for?

I'm not buying a new Hellcat worrying about the value. I'm buying new so there's no unknown history that comes along with a used car and I can enjoy driving it, with a full extended warranty.

My advice, next time a good deal falls in your lap, don't insult the owner.

If you can't afford one, don't try insulting those that can.

FFS, predicting anything has long been a joke.

Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: moparmike1] #3225338
04/06/24 12:00 AM
04/06/24 12:00 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Anybidy wanting a hellcat at about ten percent under sticker Google up Dan Cummins in KY.

I want my fair share
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: moparmike1] #3225363
04/06/24 09:13 AM
04/06/24 09:13 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by moparmike1
Originally Posted by DaveRS23

So, you offered 94% of the original owner's price? $39.5k vs $42k. And, he declined. Wonder what he sold it for?

I'm not buying a new Hellcat worrying about the value. I'm buying new so there's no unknown history that comes along with a used car and I can enjoy driving it, with a full extended warranty.

NEWSFLASH: Buying new is NO guarantee that you can enjoy driving it. You must not have followed the fuel pump debacle along with other issues where buying new only guarantees that you are completely at the manufacturer's mercy on repairs. So as long as you have the money to lose on buying new, go for it. Just remember that the only other thing that you are guaranteed by buying new is that YOU ARE GONNA LOSE THE MOST MONEY POSSIBLE. That is your decision and you are welcome to it. Just not everyone wants to lose the most money possible to drive a particular (overpriced) car.

My advice, next time a good deal falls in your lap, don't insult the owner.

Thank you for that unsolicited (and poor) advice. That particular situation was a good deal. At that moment in time, I offered what the car's value would be in just a few months. Not a low ball offer, just a prudent offer based on the market conditions at the time. For new buyers who are used to and comfortable with getting soaked on each and every car deal, I understand how they wouldn't even consider, let alone understand those parameters.

If you can't afford one, don't try insulting those that can.

Is that offered out of pure ignorance or out of a desperate attempt to insult? Either way, you clearly misunderstand and demonstrate your ignorance of the situation.

FFS, predicting anything has long been a joke.

Tell that to all those invested in the stock market. eyes

Master, again and still
Re: What's Going On With the Steep Decline in Hellcat Prices? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3225365
04/06/24 09:18 AM
04/06/24 09:18 AM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Anybidy wanting a hellcat at about ten percent under sticker Google up Dan Cummins in KY.

Good dealers to work with. We have bought two cars from their group and will likely buy our next one there.

Last edited by 65pacecar; 04/06/24 09:19 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2