03/09/24 08:51 PM
03/09/24 08:51 PM
Right Coast
Fabman Offline OP
master
Fabman  Offline OP
master

Right Coast

With all of todays RestoMods and transformations of old cars with the new cars drivelines and electronics ( I'm talking complete interiors using the new cars entire wiring harnesses and power distribution blocks) ...what companies are out there that are addressing the needed modifications to all the Computer Modules that are in the new cars to work in the older cars ? I'm speaking of things like using the newer cars complete wiring harnesses and fuse boxes but not particular components like ABS, Air bag Systems and similar bits? I know there needs to be programs mods to the BCM & PCM. Maybe some harness mods as well. Who's out there doing this type of work? Don't respond with - IT CANT BE DONE...because someone's doing it.......

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: Fabman] #3219433
03/09/24 11:10 PM
03/09/24 11:10 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
With resto mod's one should build a harness from scratch. Butchering in factory harness usually results in nothing but problems. I have had many an auction car come through with multiple issues.
American Autowire is my go to on the start of the project. Usually using therir Hiway 21 kit and build off of that. Painless harnesses are 💩 but they have offered harnesses for the ECM's etc that have been pretty good.
one needs to understand basic DC electronics and MOST importantly that there are different terminals and specific crimpers for those terminals. Scotch lok and butt splice connectors along with a lack of knowledge is where Bubba fails .
here's a few examples beer

2017-03-09 2017-03-28 001 004.JPG2017-03-09 2017-03-28 001 018.JPGDSC06177.JPG4-3-11 025.JPG
Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: TJP] #3219458
03/10/24 07:47 AM
03/10/24 07:47 AM
Right Coast
Fabman Offline OP
master
Fabman  Offline OP
master

Right Coast
Thanks for the reply. My last Resto mod I used the American Autowire kit. Very Nice. BUT my current project is moving a 2015 Challenger setup - Engine, Trans, Rear suspension, entire interior & Dash - This type of move requires using the entire 2015 Factory wiring harness and fuse boxes because of all the MODULES (and control) that is in these newer cars AND all the special wire terminals. They are nothing like the old terminals. ALSO - I am NOT using things like ABS, AIR bags and a few others SO the major Modules need PROGRAMMING changes to remove / modify the codes so the balance of the existing parts still work together. If changes are not made - new but modified system wont START or may start but wont SHUT DOWN

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: TJP] #3219524
03/10/24 01:34 PM
03/10/24 01:34 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by TJP
With resto mod's one should build a harness from scratch. Butchering in factory harness usually results in nothing but problems. I have had many an auction car come through with multiple issues.
American Autowire is my go to on the start of the project. Usually using therir Hiway 21 kit and build off of that. Painless harnesses are 💩 but they have offered harnesses for the ECM's etc that have been pretty good.
one needs to understand basic DC electronics and MOST importantly that there are different terminals and specific crimpers for those terminals. Scotch lok and butt splice connectors along with a lack of knowledge is where Bubba fails .
here's a few examples beer

how i just HATE to re-do stuff like your examples show !
and the "wind it up and stuff the extra" makes me wonder how many other shortcuts you will find in the rest of the vehicle.
i hate this ALMOST as much as i hate those BOLT ON BATTERY TERMINAL ENDS............ laugh2
beer

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: moparx] #3219598
03/10/24 07:36 PM
03/10/24 07:36 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I worked at FCA debugging prototype vehicle electrical issues for 10 years. This was after 30 years of flat rate tech work at both independent shops and Dealerships. Learned a bunch and became pretty proficient at it before retiring. What you are talking about could be fairly simple. Or near impossible. Depends on how new you are talking about. The last 5 years or so would be a can of worms. There’s way more to it than just running the wires. Intersection points and harness lengths can drive Can Bus crazy. Wire routing next to high amp circuits and multiple ground loops can send you for a loop. Many modules need messages with start and shut down times in a given order. Module A needs message to start before module B and so on. These are things very few in the aftermarket know much if anything about. Now when using an aftermarket controller it may not be anywhere near as sensitive. I’ve lived it. It can be frustrating and extremely time consuming. Example. You want to start the engine. The RF hub receives a signal from the FOB. The BCM and the KIN (key button) compare codes. If they match the KIN signal to the BCM is received and messages are sent to the ABS for brake pedal info. Also to the TCM for Park signal. Now the PCM looks at those and gives the OK to crank. The ECM looks for TAC (throttle) crank, cam signals. Then signals to prime the fuel pump and spin the starter. If the PCM sees everything correct it’ll send injector pulse and drive the coils. This is just a rough outline. There is actually many more parameters to just start and idle.
Doug

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: dvw] #3219607
03/10/24 08:21 PM
03/10/24 08:21 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by dvw
I worked at FCA debugging prototype vehicle electrical issues for 10 years. This was after 30 years of flat rate tech work at both independent shops and Dealerships. Learned a bunch and became pretty proficient at it before retiring. What you are talking about could be fairly simple. Or near impossible. Depends on how new you are talking about. The last 5 years or so would be a can of worms. There’s way more to it than just running the wires. Intersection points and harness lengths can drive Can Bus crazy. Wire routing next to high amp circuits and multiple ground loops can send you for a loop. Many modules need messages with start and shut down times in a given order. Module A needs message to start before module B and so on. These are things very few in the aftermarket know much if anything about. Now when using an aftermarket controller it may not be anywhere near as sensitive. I’ve lived it. It can be frustrating and extremely time consuming. Example. You want to start the engine. The RF hub receives a signal from the FOB. The BCM and the KIN (key button) compare codes. If they match the KIN signal to the BCM is received and messages are sent to the ABS for brake pedal info. Also to the TCM for Park signal. Now the PCM looks at those and gives the OK to crank. The ECM looks for TAC (throttle) crank, cam signals. Then signals to prime the fuel pump and spin the starter. If the PCM sees everything correct it’ll send injector pulse and drive the coils. This is just a rough outline. There is actually many more parameters to just start and idle.
Doug

None if these issues are unknown, just maybe unknown in the automotive aftermarket world. Canbus has been around for a long time and is used in a lot of industries. Noise on digital lines is also a long known issue. Communications timing is also a well known subject. Digital timing loops are old hat. Been round forever. Saw all of that stuff and dealt with i when I was in the Navy, got out in 93 so that's how old it is.

Problem is, the aftermarket either doesn't want to spend the money to learn/hire or they bought some lemons, lol.

But, yeah, it is not something the average joe in his garage is going to know what to do with.

Me? I lobotomize the crap and run Megasquirt, but it's not real noob friendly either. But it is definitely well supported.

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: Sniper] #3219659
03/11/24 07:13 AM
03/11/24 07:13 AM
Right Coast
Fabman Offline OP
master
Fabman  Offline OP
master

Right Coast
THANK YOU - DVW & Sniper ! I appreciate you both speaking up about this topic...and yes - MOST people have no clue. So...any idea who does this type of work? Im located in Central Florida

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: Sniper] #3219742
03/11/24 01:41 PM
03/11/24 01:41 PM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
Meanwhile, a microprocessor is deciding whether it's okay to turn off the dome light.

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: BSharp] #3219743
03/11/24 01:52 PM
03/11/24 01:52 PM
Right Coast
Fabman Offline OP
master
Fabman  Offline OP
master

Right Coast
Originally Posted by BSharp
Meanwhile, a microprocessor is deciding whether it's okay to turn off the dome light.

HA ! Thats a good one....fits todays environment too with AI all over the news..... whistling

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: Fabman] #3219748
03/11/24 02:28 PM
03/11/24 02:28 PM
Canada
E
EW1BH27 Offline
EW1BH27  Offline
E

Canada
I'm considering going to Anderson Powerpole connectors for my burnt ignition switch plug and any other questionable ones I find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr541LwlqxY&t=226s

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: EW1BH27] #3219753
03/11/24 02:52 PM
03/11/24 02:52 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
My resto mods use late 1990s tech. Much more simple. Pre busbar can pretty much have the stuff required to make it run separated from the rest of the vehicle's wiring.

One of my son's projects we did a 2004 or 2005, still much more simple then the 2009 and newer stuff. We hung (and hid) everything the truck needed to keep the computers happy. A lot of that stuff mostly just rode along.

When we installed a gen 3 Hemi in my son's 57 Dodge wagon we found a plug and play harness and a revamped computer at Hot Wire. I know they did more modern then we needed at the time (3 or 4 years ago), but I don't know if they are still active or not. www.hotwireauto.com

Last edited by poorboy; 03/11/24 02:56 PM. Reason: updated
Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: poorboy] #3219757
03/11/24 03:11 PM
03/11/24 03:11 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
While on this subject is there a company that can tweak an existing factory tune ?

running up my post count some more .
Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: JohnRR] #3219777
03/11/24 04:50 PM
03/11/24 04:50 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: BDW] #3219995
03/12/24 03:22 PM
03/12/24 03:22 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by BDW

thanks , but from the looks of it they do not support my vehicle , 98.5 ram 2500 24v cummins , I just want to change the speed the trans goes into OD .

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: JohnRR] #3220042
03/12/24 09:53 PM
03/12/24 09:53 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Originally Posted by JohnRR
While on this subject is there a company that can tweak an existing factory tune ?

It’s not just the PCM. It’s the BCM, TCM, and ABS as well. A late model trans and engine swap is much friendlier with aftermarket controllers and harness. Heck if you build a late model Challenger, Charger, etc.. You have to source a separate controller just to run the windows up and down if not using a factory harness and BCM.
Doug

Re: RestoMod Electrical Upgrades - Conversions to Newer Technolo [Re: dvw] #3220097
03/13/24 09:40 AM
03/13/24 09:40 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by dvw
Originally Posted by JohnRR

It’s not just the PCM. It’s the BCM, TCM, and ABS as well. A late model trans and engine swap is much friendlier with aftermarket controllers and harness. Heck if you build a late model Challenger, Charger, etc.. You have to source a separate controller just to run the windows up and down if not using a factory harness and BCM.
Doug

Thanks Doug , I'll have to do a gear swap then so the RPM is higher .

Question since you worked with this stuff , can the DRB tool adjust the MPH point I want to change ?