Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline OP
master
fastmark  Offline OP
master
F

Abilene, Texas
I just had an odd problem occurr and I fixed it but thought I would put this out because I’ve never heard of something like this. My son’s 07 Dodge Ram 1500 has gone though several starters since new. This time, all the lights and battery seemed fine but it would not crank with the key. It is one of those cars that you can release the key after you hear the starter engage and it continues to crank until it starts. I assume the key triggers a relay that starts the car.and then the stops the starter. We tried jumping it off with another truck and still did not work. You could not hear the starter even try to engage. It is fairly new. Tap on it and still nothing. So next I try to bypass the key start and jump the big lead to the smaller solenoid wire with my remote starter switch. It cranks over. So I engage the key in the run position and try the remote. It cranks but will not start. Next I turn the ignition key and then hit the remote. Still it cranks but no start. Now I’m puzzled on what to do. I had briefly looked on the internet about starting problems with dodge using factory remotes and some guys talk about disconnecting BOTH battery terminals from the battery and touching the two ends together. So I just connected the negative cable for about ten seconds and reconnect it. I tried the last procedure of engaging the starter and then turning on the key to the star position. It fired right up. So I put the solenoid wire back on the starter and it fired right up like normal and has worked for the last week. So, I guess I must have reset a computer or relay when I disconnected the battery. This may be common knowledge but I’ve never had this happen. Thought I would pass it along.

Re: 07 dodge starting problem [Re: fastmark] #3217691
03/03/24 12:00 PM
03/03/24 12:00 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have had to do this on occasion. i believe touching the battery cables together removes the residual current left in the PCM/BCM, thus removing any "memory" that has caused gremlins to hide in those modules.
i'm sure there will be others that can give a proper description of this procedure and what it accomplishes.
beer