02/29/24 03:49 PM
02/29/24 03:49 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Uninsured/Underinsured is the same coverage. It's called UM/UIM BI (BI = bodily injury). I've never seen a carrier that offered 2 separate coverages, one for UM and one for UIM.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: not_a_charger] #3217124
02/29/24 06:27 PM
02/29/24 06:27 PM
lino lakes, mn
S
Schultz62 Offline
enthusiast
Schultz62  Offline
enthusiast
S

lino lakes, mn
On my way into work and my drive home I play a game called 'spot the oldest expired license plate tabs'. Oldest so far was 2021. Spotted last week. In MN you need to provide proof of insurance to renew your tabs. I'm guessing police do not pull people over for expired tabs anymore due to fear of riots.
Add to that the rediculous amount of stolen KIA and Hyndais driving around No way I would drop UI insurance.

Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: Schultz62] #3217148
02/29/24 08:43 PM
02/29/24 08:43 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Might depend where you live. If you live near a large metro area full of "cultural enhancers" then good idea to load up on the insurance. If you live in North Dakota then the odds are more in your favor.

Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: not_a_charger] #3217185
03/01/24 12:45 AM
03/01/24 12:45 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Uninsured/Underinsured is the same coverage. It's called UM/UIM BI (BI = bodily injury). I've never seen a carrier that offered 2 separate coverages, one for UM and one for UIM.

https://www.progressive.com/answers/uninsured-motorist-insurance/

Here’s a primer. It’s not the same thing. Maybe somebody in the industry can chime in?

I want my fair share
Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3217195
03/01/24 02:43 AM
03/01/24 02:43 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Tom_440 Offline
master
Tom_440  Offline
master

Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

Here’s a primer. It’s not the same thing. Maybe somebody in the industry can chime in?

Not a charger is in the industry and I believe he is saying the coverage limits for UM and UIM are the same. Meaning if your policy limits for UM is $50,000 then your policy limits for UIM will also be $50,000.

Most auto insurance companies "bundle" Underinsured Motorist (UIM) and Uninsured motorist (UM) together when they sell you an auto insurance policy. Meaning they quote a single price that includes both UIM and UM coverage bundled together, instead of quoting separate prices for each.

UM coverage protects the policy holder when the at-fault driver has no insurance at all (and provides no coverage if the at-fault driver has insurance).
UIM coverage protects the policy holder when the at-fault driver has insurance, but your damages exceed the limits of the at-fault driver's insurance policy (and provides no coverage if the at-fault driver has no insurance).
Auto insurance policy rules vary from state to state so there is no "one size fits all" rule so your mileage may vary...

Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3217207
03/01/24 08:43 AM
03/01/24 08:43 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I am in the industry. shruggy UM and UIM serve the same purpose. In most states, they are lumped together as UM/UIM, which is how it is in my state. I did find out that there are some states (likely yours among them) that do split the coverages up. It looks like those states are Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, and Wisconsin. Learned something new today. smile

DBAP
Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: not_a_charger] #3217242
03/01/24 12:10 PM
03/01/24 12:10 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.

I am in the industry. shruggy UM and UIM serve the same purpose. In most states, they are lumped together as UM/UIM, which is how it is in my state. I did find out that there are some states (likely yours among them) that do split the coverages up. It looks like those states are Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, and Wisconsin. Learned something new today. smile

I just looked at my Il. policy and they are separate. $100,000/$300,000. My truck for 6 months is UM $36.40,UIM $9.20,and also lists Medical $13.70. My Cuda and Corvette have yearly policy and each are UM $10.70,UIM $2.70,Medical $6.90.

Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: not_a_charger] #3217379
03/01/24 11:35 PM
03/01/24 11:35 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't

They aren’t the same purpose. That’s why they are separate coverages. Some states require both. That list isn’t all of them.

I want my fair share
Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3217396
03/02/24 06:45 AM
03/02/24 06:45 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

They do serve the same purpose. UM and UIM replace the injury coverage that the at-fault party doesn't have at all (UM), or doesn't have enough of (UIM).

Lots of states require that you purchase UM. In the states where UM and UIM are not separated, that means you're paying for both whether you want to or not. In the states that do separate them but also require UM, it allows people to reduce their costs by choosing not to have UIM if they don't want it. Those are the states that I listed.

DBAP
Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: not_a_charger] #3217429
03/02/24 12:38 PM
03/02/24 12:38 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
They do serve the same purpose. UM and UIM replace the injury coverage that the at-fault party doesn't have at all (UM), or doesn't have enough of (UIM).

Lots of states require that you purchase UM. In the states where UM and UIM are not separated, that means you're paying for both whether you want to or not. In the states that do separate them but also require UM, it allows people to reduce their costs by choosing not to have UIM if they don't want it. Those are the states that I listed.

Looks like you need to add Illinois to your list.

Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: not_a_charger] #3217430
03/02/24 12:42 PM
03/02/24 12:42 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline OP
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
You'd first have to determine whether your insurer charges UM as a single coverage applicable to all of your vehicles (that's what mine does), or if they charge you UM per vehicle. If it's a single coverage, you can't drop it unless you drop it completely. UM/UIM relates to injuries only, has nothing to do with the car you're driving, or any damages, etc.

My $.02, I would not drop it in FL, for the reasons already noted. Too many uninsured drivers, and also a low minimum limit required by law ($10k per person/$20k per accident). And a LOT of drivers in FL who have insurance carry those minimum limits...remember UM is also UIM, as in Underinsured Motorist. If you get hurt by an uninsured/underinsured motorist, you're going to be screwed. Also, how much UM/UIM coverage are you carrying?
Okay thank you very much! I need to see if it's per vehicle now. I'm curious.

I'll probably keep it. Thanks again.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: second 70] #3217433
03/02/24 12:47 PM
03/02/24 12:47 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by second 70

I'll be sure to pass that along. thumbs

Edit: looked it up, and Illinois requires both UM and UIM coverage. Looks like you need to remove Illinois from your list, or at least specify that it requires both if you buy more than the minimum limits. wink

https://idoi.illinois.gov/consumers/consumerinsurance/auto-insurance-shopping-guide.html

DBAP
Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: not_a_charger] #3217439
03/02/24 12:58 PM
03/02/24 12:58 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Originally Posted by second 70

I'll be sure to pass that along. thumbs

Ok I just read the Il. law and if you buy more UM coverage than the minimum $25,000/$50,000 then UMI is required by law. Buy the minimum and it's not. Lol

Re: Uninsured motorist coverage [Re: second 70] #3217442
03/02/24 01:06 PM
03/02/24 01:06 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

You are correct. thumbs

DBAP
Page 2 of 2 1 2