ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I have a 46re I need rebuild parts for, "now".
Down the road, I have a couple more here, at least a 904 and an A500 I'm gonna need kits for,
I have a "Transtar" and a "W I T" about the same distance away.
Neither open Saturday, so I'm gonna have to take time off work to deal with either. Yeah, there's mail order/ online order/ but there's nothing like face to face across the parts counter type of deal.

Anybody have experience with either? One better than the other? I've dealt with Transtar but its been a while. They bought out the old "DACCO" that I used to use when I did more of that kind of work.
(those days were nice because they had a closer location to me)
the locations Im looking at are Addison and Downers Grove IL.

Not necessarily looking for "cheap" (unless one or the other is "usually cheaper than the other on the same stuff....
best bang for buck".
One to avoid? Either better than the other, for quality of parts etc?
While were talking transmission stuff/ parts like Red Alto and Kolene weren't heard of, back when I last overhauled a trans. What's all the hubbub? Worth it? Daily driver, occasional tow pig.

Re: trans parts source [Re: volaredon] #3215307
02/22/24 09:01 AM
02/22/24 09:01 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I order from Transpartsonline often. They carry quality parts at a good price. We had a local supplier but they were sold to Transtar. 45 minutes away, expensive, and the personal aren't all that sharp.
https://www.transpartsonline.com/TR...nsPartsOnline=518&TransPartsType=518
Doug

Last edited by dvw; 02/22/24 08:10 PM.
Re: trans parts source [Re: volaredon] #3215317
02/22/24 09:57 AM
02/22/24 09:57 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
I used Transtar in the past , they are 5 mins from my house . They don't have a counter per say , at least this one doesn't , I had to talk them into selling to me off the street .

To order I had to go thru their catalog knowing what I needed , call it in and go and pick it up at their shipping counter , either pay with a CC or have cash.

Last edited by JohnRR; 02/22/24 12:15 PM.

running up my post count some more .
Re: trans parts source [Re: JohnRR] #3215336
02/22/24 11:56 AM
02/22/24 11:56 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by JohnRR
I used Transtar in the past , they are 5 mins from my house . They don't have a counter per say , at least this one don't , I had to talk them into selling to me off the street .

To order I had to go thru their catalog knowing what I needed , call it in and go and pick it up at their shipping counter , either pay with a CC or have cash.

I used to buy from Transtar in Cinc Ohio all the time.
But also had to look up my own part numbers and pick them up at the will call desk.

I was there sometimes 2 or 3 times a month

Re: trans parts source [Re: gtx6970] #3215642
02/23/24 04:44 PM
02/23/24 04:44 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
When I was running a shop, Transtar had a tech support phone line that was VERY helpful, and wasn't shy about recommending the needed parts, but you definitely had to call the order line and place your order.

They used contract delivery guys, and some dude rolled in to the shop to drop off an Allison overhaul kit driving a (honest to God) Geo Metro. Rear end was on the bump stops, and the we asked he said he had a 3500-series Allison in the back that he was taking somewhere...

Re: trans parts source [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #3215667
02/23/24 07:06 PM
02/23/24 07:06 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Sounds like transtar has changed since I was last there

I ended up trying WIT for this one, highly recommended by a couple of local friends.
They were very helpful, but it was definitely weird working with them.
You walk in, there's a nondescript counter there with a cowbell to get somebody's attention.i went in knowing exactly what I wanted, but no part numbers, I went in with year make model, trans model and a pile of parts written down on an index card.
The guy who waited on me got on the phone and hooked me up with a guy with the catalogs, who was working from home.... A guy strangely enough who lives much closer to me than the warehouse. ... He looked it up from home and printed a pull ticket on a printer 6' from where I was standing at the counter from 40-ish miles away. Come to find out I've bought from the guy on the phone before, he worked at DACCO until they got bought out by transtar, at 2 of their former locations.... Prices seemed great compared to some I've seen online elsewhere but I've never had to buy this many parts all for 1 trans before.... This thing was smoked...

But I now have an account there, and I have 2 more tranny's to do behind this one (a 904 and an a500) that both still work but need freshened up, hopefully not as long a list of parts on these ones as the 46re I have apart now....

got home and opened kit.. USA made Raybestos!!! Its about time....