01/24/24 11:06 AM
01/24/24 11:06 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I recently went through a divorce and my daughter drives her mother's 2008 Avenger. The ex wanted me to take the car, but that would void the lifetime warranty on it. It is in her name and the daughter and I pay for the maintenance, tags, and insurance. I asked the insurance agent if there is an issue with the car being on my policy. He said the ex should be added as an "additional insured" otherwise if the car is totaled, they may not pay for the vehicle. We live in Michigan and the insurance laws changed recently. I want to make sure that if the daughter is on my policy and uses either car (mine or hers), she's covered in an accident. If she is at her mother's and her mother takes the car and gets into an accident, I want to make sure it's covered. The KBB isn't very high and the car isn't in my name so I wouldn't get a check for it if it was totaled anyway. Daughter may go to college and deciding what to do about that soon. I don't want to get sued and not have coverage if her or her mother are driving the Avenger because the insurance policy is mine. I plan on getting back with the insurance agent soon, but need some options and opinions first. Sometimes I hate making decisions to new life changes, but want to to get it done. Daughter may change her legal address to her mother's when she's done with high school.

Here is a basic rundown of what I have going on:
2014 Durange in my name and my policy. Full coverage. My main vehicle.
2008 Avenger in ex's name (to keep the warranty) and my policy. PLPD coverage. Daughter's main vehicle. Current legal address is my house, but that may change. Her mother occasionally drives it when my daughter is over there.

Want to make sure daughter and myself are covered if either one of us get into an accident. Don't really care about payoff for car if totaled, but would be nice.
Don't want any accidents the ex gets into to up my rates as an "additional insured"

Sorry, it's kind of long and possibly confusing, but my mind is going 90 mph this morning trying to get stuff done.

Re: Auto insurance policy question [Re: MI_Custumz] #3207772
01/24/24 12:05 PM
01/24/24 12:05 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Do what your agent tells you to do, especially in Michigan. Any other answer is not only useless, but very likely incorrect.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Auto insurance policy question [Re: not_a_charger] #3207775
01/24/24 12:15 PM
01/24/24 12:15 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
And if you don't trust the info provided by your current agent, seek the advice from a different agency.

Just how much extended warranty is remaining on a 2008 automobile?

Re: Auto insurance policy question [Re: poorboy] #3208030
01/25/24 08:37 AM
01/25/24 08:37 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by poorboy
And if you don't trust the info provided by your current agent, seek the advice from a different agency.

Just how much extended warranty is remaining on a 2008 automobile?

Lifetime factory powertrain and lifetime max care. I think the contract says 999,999 miles or 2099 for the year.