01/06/24 11:37 AM
01/06/24 11:37 AM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
It surely is a matter of individual sleep preferences.

We bought this last Spring and love it

Took a chance, as we didn’t even go to Mattress Firm and test it.

Just went off our research and buyer reviews.

Just right for wife and I. Neither of us even knows when the other exits the bed.

Oddly enough, my sister and her husband just purchased a new mattress, a thousand miles away… and they happen to purchase the exact same!

They field tested a number of them.

https://www.mattressfirm.com/tempur...ttress/5637146521.p?variantid=5637158122

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Cometstorm] #3202726
01/06/24 01:58 PM
01/06/24 01:58 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Cometstorm

Just right for wife and I. Neither of us even knows when the other exits the bed.

Oddly enough, my sister and her husband just purchased a new mattress, a thousand miles away… and they happen to purchase the exact same!

I've bought cars that were cheaper than that, good cars too.

I think my next mattress will be water.

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Sniper] #3202771
01/06/24 03:35 PM
01/06/24 03:35 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Sniper

I gave up on water beds after hearing "the sheets are wet" several times at 11:00 PM or later. The last time I told the wife, take the day off work, go find and buy a normal bed and mattress set Along with the Frame you want to look at for the rest of your life wink twocents beer

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: MI_Custumz] #3202839
01/06/24 08:23 PM
01/06/24 08:23 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
I bought a Ghostbed for our motorhome. Best thing I've ever bought for any RV we have owned. 50% off sale ends tonight.
linky

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: TJP] #3202845
01/06/24 08:51 PM
01/06/24 08:51 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by TJP

I gave up on water beds after hearing "the sheets are wet" several times at 11:00 PM or later. The last time I told the wife, take the day off work, go find and buy a normal bed and mattress set Along with the Frame you want to look at for the rest of your life wink twocents beer

I had one years ago, no leaking. I also do not allow my pets in the bedroom, much less in the bed, so that's a worry I don't have.

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Sniper] #3202868
01/06/24 11:47 PM
01/06/24 11:47 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

I had one years ago, no leaking. I also do not allow my pets in the bedroom, much less in the bed, so that's a worry I don't have.

To clarify, the sheets were wet due to a leaking mattress frown This was always discovered when she would typically got to bed before me. I was normally trying to relax at this time of the day and after 2 or 3 instances I was DONE!!! What is one supposed to do at 11 PM with a leaking mattress other than start the draining process. Relax? Forget that. Then you had to buy a new one, fill it up and wait for the flippin thing to get warm. NADA, Done wink beer

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: TJP] #3202884
01/07/24 02:09 AM
01/07/24 02:09 AM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Don't buy a typical coil mattress from some overpriced mattress store, get a bed in a box memory foam one. They stay firm and dont get dips in them that destroy your back. Last one I got in 2019, I made sure it was on the firm side (you can order them any way you prefer) and I put a 3" topper on it. Best mattress ever, still like the day I got it.

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Dart 500] #3202888
01/07/24 07:47 AM
01/07/24 07:47 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I have foam mattresses for the kids beds. They love them. Me, I get hot sleeping on it. Definitely an option if I find the right one. With how many options are out there, I'll definitely be shopping around at mattress stores for options and then buying elsewhere.

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: MI_Custumz] #3202896
01/07/24 09:04 AM
01/07/24 09:04 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
2 recommendations

Absolutely do not buy a mattress without laying on it for awhile. Go shopping and bring a book.

When checking reviews, don't consider folks opinions on comfort, they're not you. Do look at reviews about durability.

When I met my wife, she had a water bed. I didn't care for it but she loved it. We moved it to my place and used it for a couple years before deciding to replace it. Looking back, I think the biggest problem was it was simply overfilled

Some friends have a Sleep Number and have mixed opinions. They find it comfortable enough but state that the divider gets in the way of extracurricular activities.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Sniper] #3203553
01/10/24 11:28 AM
01/10/24 11:28 AM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area

In my humble opinion, you are correct.

Mattresses are a lot like cars:

You can get the Slant Six Variety

SXT V 6

6..2 Supercharged

Or, or, or

And pay accordingly

Even hybrids and imports mattresses.

Just depends on your (and wifey’s!) individual needs and wants.

But you won’t get a 6.2 mattress at Slant Six pricing

I figure our $3500 mattress is in the 383 range. wave

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Cometstorm] #3203582
01/10/24 02:11 PM
01/10/24 02:11 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Sure enough I jinxed myself! Right after I saw this post I changed the sheets on my waterbed and went on to get my oil changed in my diesel truck. A couple hours in I get a frantic phone call from my wife saying that water was pouring out of the bed! The seam on my mattress came open and she had to keep running back and forth to pour out the water. Got home and drained the mattress, if had a tag of 1996 on it. The seams had become brittle from the years of heating it. I found a store online and ordered the exact same mattress. I had to build a wooden box so she could still sleep on her side (we have dual mattresses and heaters) so her mattress wouldn't bulge out. Still waiting on mine, been over a week now and I keep going on transports so I don't have to sleep in the guest room...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Cometstorm] #3203605
01/10/24 03:14 PM
01/10/24 03:14 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

Just depends on your (and wifey’s!) individual needs and wants.

But you won’t get a 6.2 mattress at Slant Six pricing

I figure our $3500 mattress is in the 383 range. wave

Other than fancy name dropping and frivolous additions there is nothing a good slant 6 mattress doesn't give you over a 6.2.

I did a quicky search on mattress pricing, cheapest one I found, queen sized, was "on sale" for $150, regularly $634. ~$400 off and I doubt they aren't making a profit even then. https://www.us-mattress.com/collect...sses-us-mattress?sort_by=price-ascending

So how much is your $3500 mattress overpriced? I have an air mattress, one you can deflate, roll up and store in the closet, it's comfortable, does just about everything a Sleep Number will, other than automatically keep it inflated and "adjust based on your sleep needs". It cost me less than $100. As for the automatic adjusting, has anyone actually looked at how much that comes into play? I like a firm mattress, probably because I spent 4 years on a destroyer sleeping on 3" of foam rubber atop a steel locker. When I first got married I used to sleep on the wood floor of our place because the mattress was too soft. Took me a couple years to get used to even a very firm mattress. Even today, while I sleep well on a softer mattress when I get out of bed my body aches and I got out in 93. A water bed does it for me, even that air mattress, at full inflation, works well for me. Spending a ton of money on something else doesn't work for me.

Re: Bed mattress recommendations [Re: Rhinodart] #3203735
01/11/24 12:02 AM
01/11/24 12:02 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Sure enough I jinxed myself! Right after I saw this post I changed the sheets on my waterbed and went on to get my oil changed in my diesel truck. A couple hours in I get a frantic phone call from my wife saying that water was pouring out of the bed! The seam on my mattress came open and she had to keep running back and forth to pour out the water. Got home and drained the mattress, if had a tag of 1996 on it. The seams had become brittle from the years of heating it. I found a store online and ordered the exact same mattress. I had to build a wooden box so she could still sleep on her side (we have dual mattresses and heaters) so her mattress wouldn't bulge out. Still waiting on mine, been over a week now and I keep going on transports so I don't have to sleep in the guest room...

Bummerpity , at least she caught it before if flooded the house. Might change hers as well if it's from the same timeframe. As I recall 5 years was about the lifespan back in the 80's maybe the technology improved beer

Page 2 of 2 1 2