01/04/24 06:12 PM
01/04/24 06:12 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Around 1986, I had the headers for my Hemi car coated, basically the same deal as Jet Hot - it was a place south of L.A. that did aircraft & racecar stuff, but I don't recall who.
Those headers still look fine; showing a bit of age at the collector junction, but no peeling, flaking or rust.
About 10 years later, did the same to the racecar headers, different place, and they still look fine after some polishing on them.
Neither car was ever subjected to rain or outdoor storage, nor used as a daily driver.
Another car, which was a daily, I painted the headers with Eastwood's stainless paint: it lived outdoors in a fairly dry environment, and it took 2 years for any thing like corrosion started to show up.
So, my guess is that TTi & etc sub the coating out to the lowest bidder; it may just be powdercoating.

Back in the boat-racing days (inboards, tunnel hull, fresh water) wiping the painted headers down with ATF was part of maintenance, and seemed to work.
The WD-40 idea of course displaces moisture, but I can't recall trying it. Seems it would burn right off, and a re-application every time out sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: dvw] #3202300
01/04/24 09:41 PM
01/04/24 09:41 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by dvw

QC Coatings here as well. My previous set of pipes (Hooker 1-5/8" SB tubes) got their flat black ceramic coat...nearly 10 yrs later when they came off (just last summer), while the coating did eventually peel off in certain spots - it was blistering away so to speak - there was no actual rust formed.

The ride in question is a summer only deal though, stored in a semi-heated garage over the winter.

Having said that, my new W2 TTIs that I brought back to them got coated in the same flat black were finished in the Chrome instead, which is clearly NOT what I had requested, having specifically talked about this very thing. So yeah, imagine my surprise, and a bit of annoyance as well, when I went to pick them up and found them like that.

Bill did look up our original email exchanges, agreed it was a screwup by the shop, no pushback, he re-did the pipes. So other than the delay and wasted time driving out there (for me they are as far to the East as possible LOL - opposite end of where I'm coming from) things did end up getting fixed.

The usettled feeling is that I can only hope he properly stripped the previously applied chrome finish so that I do not run into any future issues with my flat black ceramic coat.

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202302
01/04/24 09:56 PM
01/04/24 09:56 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by jcc
OP asked about TTI suggested about preventive use of WD-40, and that is all but ignored in the replies here so far.

No offense meant but I'm guessing it's being ignored as it sounds like pass the buck BS, to me anyway. Having owned a classic car resto/ repair shop for 25 years the only coating that has held up over time is Jet Hot or VHT.

That was my take, too. I only asked on the odd chance that there was some merit to it. I had never hear of spraying anything on headers. At least as a protectant.

Believe me, we have tried many. The manufacturer applied coatings are a flat rip off IMO. One is lucky if they hold up more than 1-2 years in the collector area and near the exh ports

That has been my experience, too.
beer

If I end up with new TTIs, I may try the WD40 thing. I don't have any confidence in it. But may try it in the 'what do you have to lose' vein.

Why not buy them bare, trial fit, then send to Jet Hot or try the VHT? my concern with the WD 40 is 1. it's going to get on surrounding areas. 2. likely to drip on the floor. 3. Is it going to stain, stink, smoke a bunch, burn when it gets hot? whistling shruggy twocents beer

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202324
01/04/24 10:51 PM
01/04/24 10:51 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I've used both Jet Hot and QC. QC is nicer.
Doug

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202328
01/04/24 10:58 PM
01/04/24 10:58 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Try and wipe them down with gloved hands a sponge or soft rag soaked with Evaporust for a day or two.

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: TJP] #3202348
01/05/24 12:55 AM
01/05/24 12:55 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by jcc
OP asked about TTI suggested about preventive use of WD-40, and that is all but ignored in the replies here so far.

No offense meant but I'm guessing it's being ignored as it sounds like pass the buck BS, to me anyway. ..............
beer
iagree

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: Neil] #3202360
01/05/24 07:23 AM
01/05/24 07:23 AM
Zombieland
Car Nut Offline
mopar
Car Nut  Offline
mopar

Zombieland
Originally Posted by Neil

TTI should just make their headers out of stainless steel as an option for those that want it.

They do or did, they quoted me $1200 for them when I had them custom bend my whole exhaust system out of 304 stainless steel, This was 10 years ago and they still look new today.

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: A12] #3202361
01/05/24 07:28 AM
01/05/24 07:28 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Remember the video(s)
of this brand name of rust remover being sprayed and drippings caught in a “bay swimming pool” feeding a fountain pump....

https://store.ultraoneusa.com/Ultra-One-Safest-Rust-Remover-1-Gallon_p_14.html

Anyone ever tried Bronze Metal header pipes?

While bronze is more expensive perhaps thinner wall tubing could be used.

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202405
01/05/24 11:01 AM
01/05/24 11:01 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Well, after a lot of time on the phone the decision has kinda made itself:

I have never really been happy with the steering box that Firm Feel did for me when I put this engine in. The typical dead spot in the middle is annoying as hell. I actually sent it back and it came back basically the same. I have wanted to try the Borgeson box for some time now, but the many issues reported here (thanks Moparts!) has kept me from it. Besides, there is no way that box is coming out with the engine in place. But it seems that Bergman has got a good combo now.

Since I am pulling the engine to address some other things, the Cuda is getting a Bergman kit. But my current TTis won't fit the new box apparently. TTi has changed the driver side tubes to accommodate the Borgeson box. So............looks like a new set of TTis.

I have thought about getting the TTis and sending them off to be coated elsewhere, but every step takes weeks which stacks up to it being well into February before I would have the finished headers back. I am not in a hurry, but I really don't want the car spread out all over the shop that long. It all takes up a lot of space.

I suspect that in a few years that I will be right back where I am now with the condition of the headers. With or without WD40. rolleyes But to be honest, I am not sure how much longer I will be doing this hobby. This is most certainly the last time I am pulling this engine/tranny. This kind of work is just getting to be too hard on my hands and back.

I really appreciate all the responses. Thanks!

Master, again and still
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202411
01/05/24 11:34 AM
01/05/24 11:34 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
There are other SS header sources I believe, I don't know your car/build, and I can't verify fitment on mine yet, but quality/build looks fine, mine are still on the shelf 1.75"/E-B Body long SBM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: Diplomat360] #3202424
01/05/24 12:33 PM
01/05/24 12:33 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Originally Posted by Diplomat360
Originally Posted by dvw

QC Coatings here as well. My previous set of pipes (Hooker 1-5/8" SB tubes) got their flat black ceramic coat...nearly 10 yrs later when they came off (just last summer), while the coating did eventually peel off in certain spots - it was blistering away so to speak - there was no actual rust formed.

The ride in question is a summer only deal though, stored in a semi-heated garage over the winter.

Having said that, my new W2 TTIs that I brought back to them got coated in the same flat black were finished in the Chrome instead, which is clearly NOT what I had requested, having specifically talked about this very thing. So yeah, imagine my surprise, and a bit of annoyance as well, when I went to pick them up and found them like that.

Bill did look up our original email exchanges, agreed it was a screwup by the shop, no pushback, he re-did the pipes. So other than the delay and wasted time driving out there (for me they are as far to the East as possible LOL - opposite end of where I'm coming from) things did end up getting fixed.

The usettled feeling is that I can only hope he properly stripped the previously applied chrome finish so that I do not run into any future issues with my flat black ceramic coat.

QC here also. My ceramic coating did eventually fail in spots after about 15 years, I think they have a warranty but am not going to press the issue....
I'm not bringing them back for warranty because the car was stored outdoors for much of that
time and I feel the coating adequately did it's job to protect the metal/did what I needed it to do.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: ZIPPY] #3202471
01/05/24 02:35 PM
01/05/24 02:35 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
maybe 15 or 20 years ago, there was a huge electric oven at work.
i blasted as set of headers of unknown brand, then doused them real good with dupli-color black ceramic 1200 degree spray can stuff, blasting the collector/primary tube connection real good.
i then stuck them into that oven and baked them at 450 degrees for 2 hours. [the can says 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, or 600 degrees for 1 hour]
they turned out real good, and still look good today, with the exception of a couple scrapes and oil spills.
i believe the secret of any high temperature coating is in the preparation, just like any high end paint job.
i also did the mufflers [flowcrapster], the mandrel bend, fabricated tail pipes, and the muffler clamps. [the new style stainless band clamps were not available back then]
i wished i had done the straight sections of 3" tube from the headers to the mufflers, but i didn't because they were aluminized pipe.
it all depends on the person doing the job.
just my personal life experience. your mileage will vary.
beer

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202474
01/05/24 02:43 PM
01/05/24 02:43 PM
Detroit, MI
C
CCPcoatings.com Offline
CCPcoatings.com  Offline
C

Detroit, MI
Hey Dave:

Do you have pics of your headers and the failure spots? Also, what are the specifics on your engine, i.e. HP, naturally aspirated / SC, NOS, etc? In a perfect world with POLISHED METALLIC CERAMICS and a perfectly tuned (timing and fuel) engine that was NOT exposed to any engine break-in procedure or Dyno tuning, you will see slight dulling approx 8-12 inches from the head. Anything more severe or further out in the primaries is indicative of a lean condition. Conversely, dulling and coating failure from mid primary out to collector is indicative of a RICH condition. The after-burn in the headers over heats the ceramic coating which opens its pores are allows it to begin rusting. Or in more severe scenarios the polished ceramic will become sacrificial and begin to delaminate from the header substrate.

I've re-coated numerous TTI headers over the years as well as others in similar applications and unfortunately their failure is usually the result of excessive temps for the Polished Ceramic. Most people don't realize its true temperature limitations because its a go-to coating for many header manufactures and most lie about its abilities. That said, Polished Ceramics at their base are nearly all IDENTICAL in chemical formulation. That rating is 1000F to 1100F METAL TEMP. That can be extrapolated to approx 1100F to 1300F EGT. Companies claiming anything beyond this are clueless or lying. Its physics. The aluminum material in the coating that makes it shine oxidizes at 1000F to 1100F PERIOD.....

That said, the only solution to the normal 1-3 year life cycle of Polished Ceramic is to use a High Temp Ceramics which are rated at near 2000F. High Temp Ceramics are not offered in a polished finish but they are available in upwards of a dozen color options. In that we do a lot of higher HP cars or newer vehicles with superchargers, turbos, etc we do probably 95% High Temp Ceramics these days.

IMG-20130405-00925.jpgDSCF0164 (1).jpgIMG-20130405-00919 (1).jpg
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: jcc] #3202496
01/05/24 03:39 PM
01/05/24 03:39 PM
Detroit, MI
C
CCPcoatings.com Offline
CCPcoatings.com  Offline
C

Detroit, MI
The reason for spraying the headers with WD-40 is to cover the exposed metal to prevent rusting. When the Polished Ceramic overheats, small pores in the ceramic open up and expose the raw steel under it. That's why you see little rusty pimples on the headers when they rust (see below). I don't have any experience with doing this and would be concerned with staining and burning on the header.

Best prevention and cleaning for polished ceramic headers is polishing them once a season with a good, NON ABRASIVE aluminum polish. We use and recommend FLITZ liquid metal polish. Rubs on and rubs off with minimal effort and brings out the Bright Aluminum again. Keep in mind that Polished Ceramic headers are raw polished aluminum so it will oxidize like any other exposed aluminum.

IMG-20130405-00922 (1).jpg
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: CCPcoatings.com] #3202530
01/05/24 05:01 PM
01/05/24 05:01 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
Fyi- someone mentioned Cerakote above. I had my HP exhaust manifolds Cerakoted within the last few years, it lasted about until the end of the season and started to show signs of rust. Still holding up better than paint but, I don't think it's the solution. Note, they were blasted before prep and Cerakote.

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: parksr5] #3202540
01/05/24 05:55 PM
01/05/24 05:55 PM
Zombieland
Car Nut Offline
mopar
Car Nut  Offline
mopar

Zombieland
If you’re looking at new headers, Doug’s headers sells stainless steel headers that are really reasonable priced.

Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: CCPcoatings.com] #3202567
01/05/24 08:15 PM
01/05/24 08:15 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com
Hey Dave:

Do you have pics of your headers and the failure spots? Also, what are the specifics on your engine, i.e. HP, naturally aspirated / SC, NOS, etc? In a perfect world with POLISHED METALLIC CERAMICS and a perfectly tuned (timing and fuel) engine that was NOT exposed to any engine break-in procedure or Dyno tuning, you will see slight dulling approx 8-12 inches from the head. Anything more severe or further out in the primaries is indicative of a lean condition. Conversely, dulling and coating failure from mid primary out to collector is indicative of a RICH condition. The after-burn in the headers over heats the ceramic coating which opens its pores are allows it to begin rusting. Or in more severe scenarios the polished ceramic will become sacrificial and begin to delaminate from the header substrate.

I've re-coated numerous TTI headers over the years as well as others in similar applications and unfortunately their failure is usually the result of excessive temps for the Polished Ceramic. Most people don't realize its true temperature limitations because its a go-to coating for many header manufactures and most lie about its abilities. That said, Polished Ceramics at their base are nearly all IDENTICAL in chemical formulation. That rating is 1000F to 1100F METAL TEMP. That can be extrapolated to approx 1100F to 1300F EGT. Companies claiming anything beyond this are clueless or lying. Its physics. The aluminum material in the coating that makes it shine oxidizes at 1000F to 1100F PERIOD.....

That said, the only solution to the normal 1-3 year life cycle of Polished Ceramic is to use a High Temp Ceramics which are rated at near 2000F. High Temp Ceramics are not offered in a polished finish but they are available in upwards of a dozen color options. In that we do a lot of higher HP cars or newer vehicles with superchargers, turbos, etc we do probably 95% High Temp Ceramics these days.

I am pulling the engine now. Pics will be available next week. But your first photo could easily be mine. Perfect match. Up near the head, there is little to no rust. But down under, they are a mess. I don't care about the polished part. It's just the rust on $1,200 headers that makes me think I have been had.

Tell us what you think about the WD40 recommendation.......................................

Master, again and still
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202630
01/06/24 03:17 AM
01/06/24 03:17 AM
Detroit, MI
C
CCPcoatings.com Offline
CCPcoatings.com  Offline
C

Detroit, MI
I addressed my thoughts on WD40 above......

Last edited by CCPcoatings.com; 01/06/24 03:18 AM.
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: DaveRS23] #3202631
01/06/24 03:56 AM
01/06/24 03:56 AM
Detroit, MI
C
CCPcoatings.com Offline
CCPcoatings.com  Offline
C

Detroit, MI

I feel your pain, but if you stop messing with Polished Ceramics you wont have these problems.....High Temp Ceramics don't have these issues. I have High Temp Ceramics on 4000HP+ TURBO shootout cars that caught fire and STILL LOOK good, lol....

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Well, after a lot of time on the phone the decision has kinda made itself:

I have never really been happy with the steering box that Firm Feel did for me when I put this engine in. The typical dead spot in the middle is annoying as hell. I actually sent it back and it came back basically the same. I have wanted to try the Borgeson box for some time now, but the many issues reported here (thanks Moparts!) has kept me from it. Besides, there is no way that box is coming out with the engine in place. But it seems that Bergman has got a good combo now.

Since I am pulling the engine to address some other things, the Cuda is getting a Bergman kit. But my current TTis won't fit the new box apparently. TTi has changed the driver side tubes to accommodate the Borgeson box. So............looks like a new set of TTis.

I have thought about getting the TTis and sending them off to be coated elsewhere, but every step takes weeks which stacks up to it being well into February before I would have the finished headers back. I am not in a hurry, but I really don't want the car spread out all over the shop that long. It all takes up a lot of space.

I suspect that in a few years that I will be right back where I am now with the condition of the headers. With or without WD40. rolleyes But to be honest, I am not sure how much longer I will be doing this hobby. This is most certainly the last time I am pulling this engine/tranny. This kind of work is just getting to be too hard on my hands and back.

I really appreciate all the responses. Thanks!

542151_390096284397643_434244379_n.jpgTim-Lynch-Fire_(1).jpg
Re: Rust on tti coated headers [Re: A12] #3202632
01/06/24 04:02 AM
01/06/24 04:02 AM
Detroit, MI
C
CCPcoatings.com Offline
CCPcoatings.com  Offline
C

Detroit, MI
Pointless if the rust has actually popped coating or the coating has begun to de-laminate. If its just minor pin holes or rust from exterior sources like brake or rail dust, non-abrasive aluminum polish is your best bet.

Originally Posted by A12
Try and wipe them down with gloved hands a sponge or soft rag soaked with Evaporust for a day or two.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3