01/05/24 12:38 AM
01/05/24 12:38 AM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline OP
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline OP
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Neighbor got hit and run. 2016 mini countyman top shape 30K miles only.. 2 doors passenger side, front bumper, 1 wheel. No mechanical damage. Body shop says $10,500. Top blue book is $10K. What happens now? Can she get a payoff and get it fixed on her own? Just let em total it? Ask for some consideration?

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: calmopar] #3202363
01/05/24 07:55 AM
01/05/24 07:55 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
EVERY ins company has different formulas on totaling a car.
usually MOST insurance co will total a older car when damages exceed 80% of value according to their car value books.
usually the newer the car the lower percentages will total it.
a lot of insurance co will write their own estimate and use salvage parts instead of new like the body shop probably has on their estimate. this price difference car save sometimes save a car from being totaled.

my first step i would suggest searching for comparable values on the totaled car. different ins co used different ways on determining value. SOME ins company's still try to use WHOLESALE values on a persons car. .if you have actual local confirmed values on comparable cars chances are better on getting that value.

on buying the car back. again every insurance co does this differently. usually the ins co will have a estimate of what the car will bring at a salvage auction. you can usually buy the car back at that value .the best way to keep the car is when discussing things with your adjuster. would ask them what you can buy the car back for. this is the first step.
years ago their was a set % of the payout what you can buy the car for. some, not many, co still do this.

word of warning. if they have the lizard ins co be prepared to get screwed without a significant fight.
i recently repaired a 2017 VW TDI sport wagon with 70K miles on it insured by them.. they wanted to total the car that had $1,500 because it had extremely good salvage value..in the end totaling the car would have cost them almost nothing because salvage values were so good on the car and their payout was so low.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: calmopar] #3202370
01/05/24 09:24 AM
01/05/24 09:24 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

California uses the Total Loss Formula (TLF) to determine whether a vehicle is a total loss. TLF is the estimate amount + the projected salvage value compared to the ACV. If Est + Salv > ACV, it's a total. Est + Salv < ACV, it's repairable.

The estimate alone exceeds the value of your neighbor's car. It's a total. The insurance company has no say in whether or not chooses to retain the salvage. If there's a loan on the car, it's up to the bank,and 99.99% of the time, the bank will not let you retain salvage. If there's no loan on the car, it's 100% her choice. If she doesn't retain the salvage, insurance will pay her for the ACV + applicable sales tax, less her deductible. If she does retain the salvage, they will pay her the ACV less the salvage value and less her deductible. I'm not certain if they would owe her the tax if she retained the salvage. Every state is different, and I don't recall CA's rules on that off the top of my head.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202376
01/05/24 09:52 AM
01/05/24 09:52 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
If the insc company writes the car off, she buys it back and repairs it, it will show as a "rebuilt" (or whatever) on the Carfax if and when its up for sale again.

No matter what she does, at some point she's going to be out money

Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202377
01/05/24 09:53 AM
01/05/24 09:53 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Learn something everyday.

I didn't know the salvage value effected if it was totalled or not.

I mistakenly assumed it was solely on cost to repair vs cost to replace.

Thanks for the info.

On a side not that car may not be an easy fix. From the description and cost to repair there may be damage to the side structure where the doors mount which can be expensive and hard to repair on modern side impact structures.

If she keeps it make sure she can feasibly repair it.

Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: Stanton] #3202384
01/05/24 10:02 AM
01/05/24 10:02 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by Stanton
If the insc company writes the car off, she buys it back and repairs it, it will show as a "rebuilt" (or whatever) on the Carfax if and when its up for sale again.

No matter what she does, at some point she's going to be out money

Yes, it will likely show on CarFax. She would also likely have to title it as a salvage or rebuilt vehicle. Every state is different in that regard, but for the most part, if the car is totaled, it will have a salvage title or at least a salvage history attached to the title.

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202396
01/05/24 10:31 AM
01/05/24 10:31 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
As you have said before, everything depends on the particular policies of the insurance company and possibly the lien holder. Title condition can sometimes be negotiated as part of the deal. Sometimes.

We just went through this with a customer here in Illinois. The initial estimate would have totalled the vehicle. We helped him shop used parts and such and he turned in an estimate that allowed them to compensate him for that estimate and he retained the clear title. The accident will still show up, but the title is unbranded and never left his possession.

Again, everything depends on individual circumstances. But if you have an agent that is willing to work with you and help you navigate the particulars, sometimes you can end up with a better deal than the first one that the insurance company offers.

Master, again and still
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: DaveRS23] #3202400
01/05/24 10:42 AM
01/05/24 10:42 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

We just went through this with a customer here in Illinois. The initial estimate would have totalled the vehicle. We helped him shop used parts and such and he turned in an estimate that allowed them to compensate him for that estimate and he retained the clear title. The accident will still show up, but the title is unbranded and never left his possession.

Then it wasn't a total. shruggy

The insurance company has no say in the title branding requirements and no say regarding retention of salvage. If the car is a total, the insurance company is not going to circumvent state law regarding title branding requirements just to satisfy a customer. They may negotiate the outcome of the claim, sure, as your example indicates. But if it's a total, they're following state law regarding the title. They can get in a LOT of trouble if they don't.

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202408
01/05/24 11:28 AM
01/05/24 11:28 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
My wife's Saturn SC2 was stolen then recovered, it was worth around $12K at the time. The wheels and tires and several other things were missing, then of course the rollback driver just winched on the trailer on it's brakes which ruined them and the front spoiler and rear valance. The insurance company fixed it and the bill was something like $8K. We went to get it and noticed the entire IP was not readable, and there was sticky stuff all over the interior! Apparently they had sprayed Aqua Net all over the interior so their fingerprints would not be found, learned something that day. Long story short, they had to replace the front seats, carpet, dash pad, and IP and it cost another $4500. The insurance company was NOT happy! Afterwards we found out in Illinois you never have to accept a stolen car back even if it was just driven down the block with zero damage... work

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: Rhinodart] #3202413
01/05/24 11:38 AM
01/05/24 11:38 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Afterwards we found out in Illinois you never have to accept a stolen car back even if it was just driven down the block with zero damage... work

Whoever told you that is mistaken. The IL legislature and the IL Department of Insurance do not specify that.

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202420
01/05/24 12:23 PM
01/05/24 12:23 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
California uses the Total Loss Formula (TLF) to determine whether a vehicle is a total loss. TLF is the estimate amount + the projected salvage value compared to the ACV. If Est + Salv > ACV, it's a total. Est + Salv < ACV, it's repairable.

The estimate alone exceeds the value of your neighbor's car. It's a total. The insurance company has no say in whether or not chooses to retain the salvage. If there's a loan on the car, it's up to the bank,and 99.99% of the time, the bank will not let you retain salvage. If there's no loan on the car, it's 100% her choice. If she doesn't retain the salvage, insurance will pay her for the ACV + applicable sales tax, less her deductible. If she does retain the salvage, they will pay her the ACV less the salvage value and less her deductible. I'm not certain if they would owe her the tax if she retained the salvage. Every state is different, and I don't recall CA's rules on that off the top of my head.

I have no idea what the California law says, but I do know how the insurance companies work. Around 70-75% of value they total it. They also make mistakes. My Durango was totaled with $4,000 damage. Then they valued it and I got a check for $6,300 plus the Durango back. That was big win for me as I only had about $2,000 in it (bought it not running) and made $1,000 on the Durango I bought for parts. It now has a salvage title (requires brake and light inspection).

Last edited by Jim_Lusk; 01/05/24 12:23 PM.
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202442
01/05/24 01:15 PM
01/05/24 01:15 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.

As I said; "The initial estimate would have totalled the vehicle". 'Would have' is the operative wording. I am just telling you what went down. The insurance company wanted to pay him out and total the car based on the first estimate. We submitted a second estimate for him as I said and they paid that amount and let him keep the car. What is so complicated about that?

The insurance company has no say in the title branding requirements and no say regarding retention of salvage. If the car is a total, the insurance company is not going to circumvent state law regarding title branding requirements just to satisfy a customer. They may negotiate the outcome of the claim, sure, as your example indicates. But if it's a total, they're following state law regarding the title. They can get in a LOT of trouble if they don't.

I think you are making this more complicated than need be. I am not debating state law with this. I rebuild vehicles for a living and have for decades. This is not out of the norm or illegal or anything like that. I buy cars with very little damage (certainly not enough damage to meet any legal requirements) that have been 'salvaged' by the insurance company.

I have to remind people that the 'salvage' brand on a title is a clerical step sometimes due solely to liability concerns and may have nothing to do with the actual condition of the car. Another good example may be with back ordered parts: I bought a real nice Chrysler 300 a couple of years ago that only needed a rear bumper cover, taillight and a little quarter massage. But the bumper cover was a high trim model that was on back order. The insurance company totalled it due to the customer's time constraints. I eventually found a nice used bumper the right color and fixed the car. Some fancy headlights have caused this kind of situation, too. Heck, a racer here in town waited months for a part for his Ford truck taillight. Apparently, the LED taillight was a 4 or 5 piece unit or something like that. But that's what he gets for buying a Ford.

And how about another example I am familiar with? A neighbor's son had a Crapmaro. He got a ticket or two and the dad (who was footing the bills and should have know better than to give the kid the Crapmaro) was wanting rid of the car, but keep peace in his household. So, when the kid got into a fender bender (I don't even know who was at fault) I suggested the dad ask the insurance company to total the car. He ended up telling his agent that if he didn't total the Crapmaro, that he would take all of his business somewhere else. The Crapmaro was totalled.

Another example would be some situations with an over abundance of hail cars. Or with new repo units, especially industrial stuff like trailers. I have many, many more examples if you would like them where the 'salvage' designation was brought for reasons other than the condition of the vehicle.

So, until the particular situation butts up against some state regulations, the insurance company has a great deal of latitude regarding the title status. Within the limits of their own regulations. And that is what I am talking about. Not skirting state law.
beer

Master, again and still
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: DaveRS23] #3202476
01/05/24 03:00 PM
01/05/24 03:00 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
This just happened to a neighbors minivan. Rear ended on one side but didn't look all that bad. Slight wave in one quarter panel. tailgate panel, one light, and the plastic rear bumper tore up. Insurance company told them parts are hard to locate right now and body shops are too backed up to get it repaired in a timely fashion so they totaled it due to circumstances they can't control. The thing still ran and drove just fine so I don't know why the insurance company would not let them wait until it could be fixed later? They ended up getting a check for it and a tow truck came by and grabbed it.

Today with used vehicle prices so overvalued I would be wary of being able to buy another comparable vehicle for whatever money they give you. I suspect your going to get the short end of the stick and have to spend more of your own money to get yourself back into a comparable vehicle.

Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #3202487
01/05/24 03:23 PM
01/05/24 03:23 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk

I have no idea what the California law says, but I do know how the insurance companies work. Around 70-75% of value they total it. They also make mistakes. My Durango was totaled with $4,000 damage. Then they valued it and I got a check for $6,300 plus the Durango back. That was big win for me as I only had about $2,000 in it (bought it not running) and made $1,000 on the Durango I bought for parts. It now has a salvage title (requires brake and light inspection).

Good thing you cleared that up for me, since I have no idea how insurance companies work. runaway

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: DaveRS23] #3202490
01/05/24 03:29 PM
01/05/24 03:29 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

You are correct that if it's more cost effective to total it, an insurer can deem the vehicle a total even if it does not fit a state specified definition. I never said they couldn't. shruggy Fix and flip guys like yourself buy the vehicles that were totaled for economic reasons, not because the vehicle was a total per statute. Insurers have zero latitude when it comes to the latter, and some latitude when it comes to the former.

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202493
01/05/24 03:36 PM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio

They aren't supposed too but a friend of mine is going thru this w/Grundy. I've given him all the info he and his attorney need regarding his car. Handled TL's for close to 20 yrs in Ohio. The car is appraised at 78k. They are saying its a total with only 37k in damages. He did have the car underinsured by a lot(only 40k). Instead of paying out the limits they want to subtract the 13 k salvage value from his limits and pay 27k and no salvage title. In Ohio his car doesn't meet the definition of a TL. It's not based on coverage but the value of the car. Last I heard they filed suit for bad faith.

Ok
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: calmopar] #3202494
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
I am an independent auto appraiser that has done work for ins co's and consumers for nearly 30 years. The place to start is to get an independent appraisal done to establish the actual value of the vehicle. It is likely higher than what the insurance company may first offer. Once that is done and a value agreed to, the vehicle might be deemed repairable if the numbers work out for the ins co. I have no idea what California law is regarding a total loss. %Some states have thresholds ie if the repairs cost more than 70 percent of the value of the vehicle is has to be totaled. Other states it is at the sole discretion of the insurance company whether or not to total the vehicle. If you would like more advice or info feel free to PM me.

Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: cudatom] #3202498
01/05/24 03:41 PM
01/05/24 03:41 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Right, so the title is not an issue in that case. I think that's a good example of what Dave is referring to.

If the state doesn't say it's a total, there's room for negotiation and possibly keeping a vehicle on a clean title if the owner retains it. If the state says total, the title is going to run through whatever the state requires. Lots of states have title branding requirements. There is no legal way around those.

For example, I was just reviewing a claim we have in Minnesota. MN requires that a title be branded as rebuilt if the damages exceed 80% of the ACV. MN doesn't specify that you can or can't fix it, just that the title be branded as rebuilt if fixed under those circumstances. That's another example of what Dave's first example referred to, at least to a point. Regardless of the original estimate, or the insurance company's original plan to total a vehicle, if an agreement can be reached that the repairs are $x, and $x does not require anything be done with the title, then the title stays clean.

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: mgoblue9798] #3202499
01/05/24 03:43 PM
01/05/24 03:43 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by mgoblue9798
I am an independent auto appraiser that has done work for ins co's and consumers for nearly 30 years. The place to start is to get an independent appraisal done to establish the actual value of the vehicle. It is likely higher than what the insurance company may first offer. Once that is done and a value agreed to, the vehicle might be deemed repairable if the numbers work out for the ins co. I have no idea what California law is regarding a total loss. %Some states have thresholds ie if the repairs cost more than 70 percent of the value of the vehicle is has to be totaled. Other states it is at the sole discretion of the insurance company whether or not to total the vehicle. If you would like more advice or info feel free to PM me.

Good advice here if she really wants to repair it, or thinks the total loss offer is inaccurate (too low).

DBAP
Re: how does totaling a car work these days? [Re: not_a_charger] #3202543
01/05/24 06:07 PM
01/05/24 06:07 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
There are also reasons an insurer will total a vehicle even if the damage doesn't come close to value.

Relative had a vehicle stolen, got recovered. Insurance wanted to fix it, until the relative inspected the truck and there were used syringes/needles in the vehicle, all over the interior. Comment was if you and the repair shop want the liability of one of the family, including young kids, getting stuck by a missed needle, have at it.

Rules and situations vary.

Stop being a slacker not a charger... lol Always like you input on these threads.

Last edited by crackedback; 01/05/24 06:10 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2